Kimani and Luke Returning | The Boneyard

Kimani and Luke Returning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Probably posted somewhere, but too much to sift through and I think deserves its own thread. Apologies if I missed this earlier.

Screen Shot.jpg

Reaction Score
This is important in more than the obvious ways. Not only do we retain two of the very best, it will also help Hurley replace them with quality when both eventually get their opportunity. It’s entirely possible both earn 7 figures.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
This is very big news for us ! It starts with the coaches. Now I trust they will find some key missing pieces for next year, restock, reload, and let's go !

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I hope it's true but responding to a question of "Will you be back next year?" moments after you've won a national championship with "I love it here" is not the most reassuring answer. And even if he said "Yes" before that, it's a bit uncouth to even ask the question. There's a time and place for these questions, and it's not in the immediate aftermath of victory, soaked in (Dasani water).

Both Kimani and Luke have earned the right to do whatever it is they please. And if we're so fortunate to keep them around longer, then I hope they're rewarded with fat raises.

Reaction Score
I know Hurley is being humble and giving his assistants credit - but I am glad we don't have to find out how much of the offense is Luke Murray dependent. Especially in a year where they are going to have to "re-invent" so much of it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I hope it's true but responding to a question of "Will you be back next year?" moments after you've won a national championship with "I love it here" is not the most reassuring answer. And even if he said "Yes" before that, it's a bit uncouth to even ask the question. There's a time and place for these questions, and it's not in the immediate aftermath of victory, soaked in (Dasani water).

Both Kimani and Luke have earned the right to do whatever it is they please. And if we're so fortunate to keep them around longer, then I hope they're rewarded with fat raises.
Agree. Not the same as an announcement they turned down all options of head coaching positions and are returning. And Hurley is doing his best to promote them for those positions,

But if they do decide that a team coach approach similar to Moore and Hurley or CD and Geno is the future I would be one ecstatic fan.

Reaction Score
Almost all mid-major head coaches have base salaries under $1 million and most make less than $500k base. It shouldn't be an issue to pay our assistants what the average mid major head coach makes and have similar financial incentives for making a final 4 or winning a championship.

Reaction Score
I am happy they are staying but they deserve their own head coaching jobs.
Agree, but they aren't going to just take any job to be a HC. Taking the right first HC job is key. They are smart enough to know they have a good gig and only leave for the correct next step

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
To quote that old phrase - "the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence" seems to apply here.

Both Luke and Kimani have been given big authority/ responsibility/ input on how UConn basketball functions. They have delivered. Their words/ ideas are trusted by Hurley. Both have helped put UConn ahead of the pack.

Nobody is running an offense like UConn. That's Luke and the years of research he has done of offensive schemes/ plays. Kimani has the talent on who to recruit. And he delivers.

Why leave. Not every assistant coach wants the headaches that come with the title Head Coach.

So glad both are staying.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I agree with that but sometimes people respond with "I'm just enjoying this" or give a similar blow-off response -- he said something much better than that.

Reaction Score
Any halfway-competent AD with a coaching vacancy should put both of those guys near the top of their list. I know they said they’re staying (and I hope they do), but 750k to 1m to run your own program is tough to turn down.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I agree with that but sometimes people respond with "I'm just enjoying this" or give a similar blow-off response -- he said something much better than that.
Maaaybe. I personally don't read too much into it. Also, Luke doesn't have the same media experience/exposure as Dan given his role as an assistant. He may be that media savvy, but it's just a guess. I bet the answer to that question was one of the last things on his mind at that particular moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom