Kim English | The Boneyard

Kim English

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Ever since Hurley smoked PC at PC, it seems like English has started to mold his coaching and team like Hurley. Hurley gets a T, English gets a T. Hurley shows emotion, English shows emotion (which he didn’t prior to their last game. He was calm). Now it seems like he’s trying to build the same size roster

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Given his faith and daily prayer, I am waiting for the inevitable DH meme from an "In the Huddle" segment to the effect of, "Christ is getting whatever he wants. We've got to shut him down."

caw

Reaction Score
He’s not stupid. And he’s young enough to try and adjust. Last year he was thrown into taking over a team with mostly Cooleys players or kids he recruited to his old school. The question is if he can actually coach them to the level Hurley coaches UConn players.

In my opinion it’s less about the incoming guys and more about the holdovers and seeing improvement from them.

A teams needs a foundation and that is what the returning players should be. The transfers are fillers and ceiling raisers. The floor is established by the multi year players.

Reaction Score
Well if he ends up being a great coach he won’t be there for long. English is probably going to be the head coach of Tennessee when Barnes retires lol
I bet he would gladly take the Missouri job

Reaction Score
Joseph is 6'2, so...not quite the same size.

Pretty uninspiring group so far.

The mediocre PG from a team ranked 100th, the 4th best player from a team ranked 84th, a backup center from St. Joe's (ranked 99th), and a guy who pretty much singlehandedly took Chicago State from 340th to 293rd.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well if he ends up being a great coach he won’t be there for long. English is probably going to be the head coach of Tennessee when Barnes retires lol
Yeah not going to lie, when I saw the thread title, I was kind of expecting that he moved to a better program.

Not every program gets its coach poached on a regular basis, but I think Providence has as good as anyone.

Reaction Score
Bizarre thread... I think English is a really good coach already and will only get better. PC probably up-leveled with the whole Cooley-fiasco.

Reaction Score
One of two things are likely wirth English. He can make PC relevant and a winner. Or he can perform at a low level and Providence lets him go.

The problem with the former is that if he exceeds expectations, it is unlikely PC can keep him. He will move to more money at higher profile job. If he performs well but not great, Providence will be able to keep him. But the Friars will remain in their current limbo. Not really where the program wants to be.

Cooley was the prefect coach for PC. Even if he succeeded at a Calhoun level, he was where he wanted to be. He was fully committed to PC. PC was Cooley's dream job even moreso that Georgetown. He only left because of a looming scandal of his own creation. It is highly unlikely that PC could find such a coach again. And English isn't that guy.

Reaction Score
PC is a great stepping stone school. It's been that way since the 70s. English won't be there for long if he sees success.

Reaction Score
Ever since Hurley smoked PC at PC, it seems like English has started to mold his coaching and team like Hurley. Hurley gets a T, English gets a T. Hurley shows emotion, English shows emotion (which he didn’t prior to their last game. He was calm). Now it seems like he’s trying to build the same size roster

lol

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Bizarre thread... I think English is a really good coach already and will only get better. PC probably up-leveled with the whole Cooley-fiasco.
Totally agree. They absolutely leveled up. English will be an excellent coach for a long time either at PC or somewhere else someday. You can just see it by the way he carries himself. He's young, relates to players well, and seems to be a worker. Cooley was, and is, a high floor, low ceiling type of coach which worked for PC in that the high floor was better than what they previously had, and gave them some competitive consistency which was absent from the program. However Cooley reached his ceiling there. Kim English's ceiling will prove to be much higher than Ed Cooley's could ever be.

PC actually got really really lucky in the way that whole mess went down. Because they never would've gotten rid of Cooley. Cooley did them a huge favor.

Reaction Score
PC actually got really really lucky in the way that whole mess went down. Because they never would've gotten rid of Cooley. Cooley did them a huge favor.
I agree here. None of Cooley's accomplishments warranted the constant media hype he got. I have no idea why they liked him so much.
I think PC will be thrilled with this move sometime soon, if not already.
And i doubt GTown will be much better than PC was the last few years.
my 0.02

Reaction Score
Torvik came out with 2025 projections today and has PC at #41. That's with a basically complete roster so in all likelihood they get jumped by others as rosters round out and end up in the 45-50 range.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I agree here. None of Cooley's accomplishments warranted the constant media hype he got. I have no idea why they liked him so much.
I think PC will be thrilled with this move sometime soon, if not already.
And i doubt GTown will be much better than PC was the last few years.
my 0.02

They liked him so much because he was a local guy made good, and like I said earlier, he raised the floor of the Providence program so that instead of catching a tournament bid once a decade they were in contention for a tournament bid almost every year and got that bid more times than not during his tenure. Since he was only there 11 years or so, the shine of appreciation hadn't worn off for raising to that level, but it was coming. They eventually would've been frustrated instead of grateful for the 8-11 seeds and 1st weekend exits. But up until that point it was real solid improvement. It was easier to see his low ceiling if you weren't a fan of the program. They were blinded by local loyalty and appreciation for getting them out of a ditch.

I totally agree he will never have Georgetown any better than he had Providence. Possibly not even that good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom