Killing the clock at the end of the game. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Killing the clock at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Was at the Xavier game. Wrong guy had the ball in the last 5 seconds of the clock. Also spacing wasn’t there for the quick pass and open shot. And they didn’t look comfortable on the line on 1-1’s. Hopefully this doesn’t come up tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I've just always has been of the mind to run the offense with the guys understanding not to shoot right away unless someone is wide open for a layup on a back cut. Making the defense work. Don't let them rest, especially the way Hurley's guys move on offense. Almost every announcer praises the team for the way they constantly move. I'm not a fan of sitting just across half court and letting it get down to 10 seconds.

Reaction Score
It seems like we're playing prevent at 4 minutes. I think if we started it around the 3 minute mark we'd be better off but that's just my opinion.

I've been saying since early in the season that we're going to get done in by FT shooting at some point. Diarra is about the only one I trust right now to hit the ones we need. That kid is ice cold when we need a bucket.
If that's the case then I think you can put the worry to rest. Because we have 2 regular starters that shoot a better percentage (Karaban and Spencer), and Newton right below him at 79%. And FWIW Diarra's FT numbers have been steadily declining over the past few weeks.

I think the FT issues are a bit overstated. The closing lineup of Newton, Diarra, Spencer, Castle, Karaban are all good to great FT shooters

Reaction Score
I think we actually run the prevent offense perfectly. We attack to break the press, if there's an open layup we take it, if not they pull the ball out and run clock. That's basically the ideal way to run it. It's not supposed to look pretty, it's supposed to kill clock and get the occasional bucket

Reaction Score
the scariest game for me with prevent offense was BET PC game last year. We were playing beautiful basketball up nearly 30 in the second half and nearly blew it.
I was at work so I was only half paying attention when it was late and "in hand" but I thought it wasn't so much playing prevent offense but that we couldn't break the damn press. Thankfully that hasn't been a real issue since.

Reaction Score
Salting away games is never for the weary but depending on the point differential and time of the game is still a high probability move. You never want to start doing it to early, you always want to maintain aggressiveness under 10 seconds and at worst look to get to the foul line and you always want to play good transition d and make the other team run offense but we've been in a lot of games recently with 12-15 point leads or so with 5 minutes to go against more then capable competition. This calls for bleeding the clock and limiting possessions in the game. What I am happy about is that we aren't turning the ball over against FC pressure and/or even in the half court, that's where you could blow a lead quick. I get 15 point wins look so much better but if you bleed the clock to assure an 7-8 point victory I'm fine with that. A win is a win against good BE comp.
Lots of kids with decent handles who are very comfortable playing together. It’s hard to watch for sure.

Reaction Score
Prevent offense doesn’t bug me as much as when the defense doesn’t match. Burn clock is the goal on both ends so don’t foul.
They tend to go hand in hand, killing clock when you're a lot better than the other team is silly. I don't even like the strategy when you're David vs. Goliath. Play with what got you there. Stall ball throws everything off including your defense. Play the way you play all game, we have the best offense in the country and it's based off of tremendous movement and passing. Standing around with the guy at the top holding onto the ball until late in the shot clock goes against everything that makes us so good and it throws everything off.

Reaction Score
Don't like in general and certainly do not like how they did it against X and Creighton. It reminds me of our offense several years ago when they would dribble out the clock, and be forced to shoot a bad/nasty shot w/2 seconds left on the clock. IMO nothing good can come of that plan. Reminds me of Dee Rowe in the NIT loss so many years ago.

Right. Except two wins. Nothing else good.

Reaction Score
…..makes me nervous the last few games. Need to do a better job or just keep the foot on the gas.

Thank you it’s been dreadful and it starts too early. Keep doing what is working run your offense please, don’t start protecting so early. I mean how many crappy shots and possessions can you watch without understanding this? Please stop.

I get it in the wind down but not with 5 minutes left.

Reaction Score
Once Donovan gets fully healthy I'd love if we'd get him the ball with about 8 to go in these situations start the action around 12 get him posted up and see if he can score. Worst case scenario he misses a hook with 4 seconds on the clock and since the ball is in the post no long rebound and setup the defense.

I’m referring more about the end of the game with about 2-5 minutes left. I should’ve been more specific.

Reaction Score
Credit to Creighton for outplaying us for 3 mins.

To a point sure. But to me we were in prevent offense and defense mode the last 5-6 minutes. Don’t foul on one end so the passion they were playing with on D was gone as well as taking the air out of the ball on O. Kind of ruined a wonderful 33-34 minute performance. Hey they won, great win just make sure you don’t do it like that with an 8-10 point lead because we saw what can happen.

Reaction Score
They tend to go hand in hand, killing clock when you're a lot better than the other team is silly. I don't even like the strategy when you're David vs. Goliath. Play with what got you there. Stall ball throws everything off including your defense. Play the way you play all game, we have the best offense in the country and it's based off of tremendous movement and passing. Standing around with the guy at the top holding onto the ball until late in the shot clock goes against everything that makes us so good and it throws everything off.
This

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Hurley addressed it yesterday

Nova Preview
I listened to this yesterday and was glad to hear him acknowledge it. It hasn't been something the team has needed up until these games really - we've either had complete blowouts or very tight games.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I thought the best burning clock possession the other night was at about 2 and a half minutes to go, when they started to burn fouls because the refs hadn't called enough on them to send us to the line on non-shooting fouls.
Creighton scored a 3 to cut the lead to 10. Called Time Out.
We inbounded the ball at 2:31. Creighton foul at 2:28.
Inbounded again. Clingan misses a shot at 2:28, gets his own rebound, then gets fouled at 1:52.
Inbound again, and get fouled at 1:48.
They are all set to foul again on the next inbound. But instead of passing to one of the close Huskies or into the back court to kill time, Karaban spots Cam breaking to the hoop completely unguarded.
Cam lays it in at 1:44, to complete a 45 second possession that completely took the heart out of the Bluejays.

Reaction Score
I'm all for the prevent offense, but I don't know why we have to wait until 5 seconds to start the offense. This was more prevalent against Xavier but also true v Creighton. I'd rather kill 18 seconds and get a good shot than kill 25 and waste a possession.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom