Kibitzer memorial Badass award | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kibitzer memorial Badass award

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The greatest joy I got from Nika was the steals she caused on the inbound pass and ran in for a score. I believed she did it 3 times along with 2 other steals. She scored 7 points along with 11 assists which is scoring for the team. No offense to Azzi, Lou, or Dorka, but they did what they are expected to do ,score. Nika did 4 other things, rebounds, blocked shots and great defense. She was the badass of this game.GO HUSKIES!!!
Azzi Fudd made 9 of 16 shots from deep (56%) tonight and many of them look like she was shooting from the FT line. If you tell me that you were "expecting" Azzi to shoot like that I'd say you were expecting too much.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ines showed a lot of ability in this first exhibition. Also, she is faster and more cagey than given credit for in the BY. She will be a great contributor and with time will be a solid stone cold playa. Ayanna just needs a little more experience. A future Uconn star. Watch out for Ines......
Geno mentioned her in his presser as doing her thing at in the minutes she had. I like the nickname "Nesh" the team has for her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd made 9 of 16 shots from deep (56%) tonight and many of them look like she was shooting from the FT line. If you tell me that you were "expecting" Azzi to shoot like that I'd say you were expecting too much.
I guess I also fall into the same category of being very surprised when she misses a shot. Not just because her shot form is so pure but she is really good at finding space and using screens to get enough space. She does not take bad or overly contested 3's

Reaction Score
Agree Coco. Azzi is such a great shooter that I think we may fall into always believing and unfairly expecting it will alwsys fall. She had an awesome game particularly in the second half. IMO once they settled in all five starters played as well as any of us could have expected or hoped for. Bonus from Aubrey, Ayanna and Ines. A grest first outing!

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Exhibition Game. I was please that our opponent, thought heavenly overmatched gave it their best and made our girls play.

Excited about all the improvement I saw. From our returning players and I really liked the first glimpse of our NEW kids.

But, this being the BA thread. . . NIKA!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
it was nice that azzi made 9 (?) triplets.

i would have much preferred that she had shown her vaunted pull-up jumper, which i know she has (and a good one) but i rarely see. i don't believe she event attempted one! this in a huge blowout against a d2 foe in an exhibition game.

we already know she is a great outside threat, and it's fun to see fire away, piling up 3s when she's cooking. she doesn't have to prove it, especially in an exhibition game when she could (and i think should) be working on and gaining confidence in the many other aspects of her game that geno has been raving about.

i certainly don't think azzi deserves a badass. she piled up points, sure -- which i realize enthralls many in the BY -- but that ain't all that matters. she did do a decent job on defense and distributed fine. it was encouraging to see her drives to the baseline. but i didn't see any drives elsewhere, which i was hoping for, and no mid-range pops:(. she is supposed the best player and the team needs her to show scoring versatility (as lou DID). she cannot be satisfied grazing at the stripe. she should be hunting shots. in short, she was not nearly aggressive enough offensively (yeah, even though she contributed a lot of points). again this year, i'd swear she is too timid. does she lack confidence? is she still deferring?

in contrast, i haven't see anyone talking about liya. she looked really good. my badasses would be nika, lou, liya, and i was impressed with aubry. ines was a revelation. and the disappointment and puzzle: amari, sad to say. i'd love to see her come around.

btw, kutztown did themselves proud in pool of piranhas. good job.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Badass obvious has to go to Kutztown for even taking the game and showing up. Just my opinion but a perennial D1 leading top 10 team needs a scrimmage with a D2 team?
Basically JV vs varsity, maybe someone could explain the value of such an event for an old dummy.

Reaction Score
From what I have read on the Boneyard about Azzi's 3-pointers is that most of the posters think she will be above the 50% rate. The quantity is negligible. It still was one factor and Nika had 5 factors. Badass is controll of the game and Nika was in the middle of the whole game , especially the 11 assists. GO HUSKIES!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
From what I have read on the Boneyard about Azzi's 3-pointers is that most of the posters think she will be above the 50% rate. The quantity is negligible. It still was one factor and Nika had 5 factors. Badass is controll of the game and Nika was in the middle of the whole game , especially the 11 assists. GO HUSKIES!!!

I'm one of my local girl's biggest boosters, but I don't expect Azzi to shoot over 50% from the arc. I'm hoping she shoots 55/48/90. I think that's realistic. Just below 50%.

Reaction Score
I'm still amazed by the swagger, moxie ( word I really want to say but won't ) of that pass from a freshman in her first few minutes on the floor in a UCONN uniform.
Amen, Coco. That was baddest badass pass ever! And she was smooth and nonchalant about it too! ice water in her veins to try that so early in her UConn career. I think Ms. Ines is going to surprise a few people this year....

Reaction Score
it was nice that azzi made 9 (?) triplets.

i would have much preferred that she had shown her vaunted pull-up jumper, which i know she has (and a good one) but i rarely see. i don't believe she event attempted one! this in a huge blowout against a d2 foe in an exhibition game.

we already know she is a great outside threat, and it's fun to see fire away, piling up 3s when she's cooking. she doesn't have to prove it, especially in an exhibition game when she could (and i think should) be working on and gaining confidence in the many other aspects of her game that geno has been raving about.

i certainly don't think azzi deserves a badass. she piled up points, sure -- which i realize enthralls many in the BY -- but that ain't all that matters. she did do a decent job on defense and distributed fine. it was encouraging to see her drives to the baseline. but i didn't see any drives elsewhere, which i was hoping for, and no mid-range pops:(. she is supposed the best player and the team needs her to show scoring versatility (as lou DID). she cannot be satisfied grazing at the stripe. she should be hunting shots. in short, she was not nearly aggressive enough offensively (yeah, even though she contributed a lot of points). again this year, i'd swear she is too timid. does she lack confidence? is she still deferring?

in contrast, i haven't see anyone talking about liya. she looked really good. my badasses would be nika, lou, liya, and i was impressed with aubry. ines was a revelation. and the disappointment and puzzle: amari, sad to say. i'd love to see her come around.

btw, kutztown did themselves proud in pool of piranhas. good job.
I’ll take 3’s over 2’s any day of the week, especially shooting at that high a percentage. It opens up the offense to me. Until they force her off the line, it should be bombs away! Nine 3 pointers, and your talking about drives to the basket.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
I'm one of my local girl's biggest boosters, but I don't expect Azzi to shoot over 50% from the arc. I'm hoping she shoots 55/48/90. I think that's realistic. Just below 50%.
I will consider a 45 percent rate to be phenomenal for Azzi. Why? In future games against highy ranked teams, she's gonna be face guarded and double and triple teamed. She may end up being the very first D1 female player to be quadtruple teamed! Her two best friends will quickly become Lou and Caroline as they will be the two who make it possible to get Azzi the basketball.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Badass obvious has to go to Kutztown for even taking the game and showing up. Just my opinion but a perennial D1 leading top 10 team needs a scrimmage with a D2 team?
Basically JV vs varsity, maybe someone could explain the value of such an event for an old dummy.
Sure old dummy. :cool: UCONN wants to run their stuff against someone who doesn't know it (i.e. the practice players see the sets every day) and defend someone they don't know. UCONN can't scrimmage D1 opponents publicly. So in order to get UCONN a simulated game before the season starts, they have to play a D2 opponent. As Geno talked about in his press conferences, they want the kids (especially the new ones) to go through a game day schedule (meals, shoot around, travel, warm-ups, intros, fans, etc. ).

You don't want this to be all new to them for a game that actually counts.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Can there be "co-badasses"? There has to be. Look at all of the posters who had a different BA. There are going to be games like this one were more than one player stands out. Lou's play turned out to be a very nice and refreshing performance. Let's see if she can replicate it Thursday. IMO, she has to get part of this award. Azzi gets the other half. Nine 3 pointers MUST be recognized!!! Their play was stellar, and deserving of this award.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno mentioned her in his presser as doing her thing at in the minutes she had. I like the nickname "Nesh" the team has for her.
Ines’s name is pronounced Inesh

From the Media Notes

PRONUNCIATION
Geno Auriemma or-ee-EHM-uh
Inês Bettencourt ee-NEZSH bet-ten-QUART
Paige Bueckers BECK-ers
Amari DeBerry uh-MAR-ee
Caroline Ducharme due-SHARM
Azzi Fudd AYE-zee
Dorka Juhász YOU-hasz
Lou Lopez Sénéchal sen-eh-shawl
Nika Mühl NEE-kuh mule