Kibitzer Bad-Ass Award - UCONN vs. Nevada | The Boneyard

Kibitzer Bad-Ass Award - UCONN vs. Nevada

Who should get the Bad-Ass award for the Nevada game?

• Kia Nurse - 1st half - holy smokes!

Votes: 50 71.4%
  • Gabby Williams - homecoming game...

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Stevens - double double and 5 assists

Votes: 4 5.7%

• Total voters

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Setting aside the somewhat confusing 2nd half performance... So I wanted to give it to Gabby since it was her homecoming game, but holy smokes Kia Nurse!! And Azura came on strong at the end... Having said that, 2nd half was ragged, and the 4th quarter in particular was just bad. Still...

For me, gotta go with Kia. Lights out shooting.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Gabby Williams had a successful homecoming, having one of her best games this season, scoring 18 points. It was a season-high for Williams, who was playing her first game at Nevada's Lawlor Events Center since she led her high school team to a state title in 2012. Her father, Matt, and sister, Kayla, both played basketball at Nevada, joined a host of other family members and friends behind the UConn bench.

This was supposed to be Gabby's night. I guess no one told Kia because she tried to steal the spotlight. She was smoking hot tonight. I've seen players in a zone live and on TV. Kia's play tonight had all the earmarks of someone in a zone.

Nevada reserve 5' 6" Sophomore Guard Camariah King also tried to steal some of Gabby's thunder as she put on her own display of how to shoot 3 pointers, making 5-6 for 15 points. It almost seemed like she was trying to match Kia basket for basket.

This was a much better game than I thought it would be. The Wolfpack played them tough to the buzzer, never giving up or in. Surprisingly Geno kept his starters in for most of the game (2 of them played 36 minutes, 1 logged 35). Nice crowd tonight to support Gabby and the home team. The TV announcers said that there were over seven thousand fans in attendance tonight. The largest crowd to see a women's basketball game ever in the state of Nevada. That's impressive. I attended the UNLV/Minnesota women's game at the Cox Center (UNLV campus) game on Sunday, there were less that 300 people in attendance.

''It was weird,'' Williams said. ''It was kind of like the Twilight Zone a little bit. I used to be here all the time, every week, watching my sister play, up in that front row, right where my parents were sitting, where my sister was today. Then having so many people messaging me and texting me, people I haven't heard from since high school. Pretty cool that they still welcome me.''

Overall, a great 3-0 west coast road trip for the Huskies. Now they head home to get ready for the 6-0 fighting Irish on Sunday. Notre Dame is coming off an impressive 92-85 win over defending champion South Carolina.
Since this was Gabby's homecoming game, and she played as well as she could, I'm going to default to Gabby, and give her my BA award for tonight's game. in person, (Crystal English

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
We have 2 ultra-elite freshmen coming in next year, but replacing Kia and Gabby will not be easy. Though maybe it'll be Ezi. :D
Gabby's my fave, but I think we miss Kia more next year. She's the best shooter on the team, plays great defense, and is probably the toughest player on the team as her brother plays hockey it's in her blood.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I also thought Nevada played really smart in the second half defensively. They really bottled up the inside and seemed to have a good understanding of the mechanics of what UConn likes to run. That is good coaching. Our made shots were often the result of superior athleticism. And Kia Nurse was incredible. Those who think she is not a 1st round draft selection should take a good look at this one.

HGN

Reaction Score
I could only vote for one.......And I voted for Kia. (The young lady was on FIRE the whole game.)

But in reality ALL 3 could be voted to win..........UConn was just a team of Bad-Asses in the game.

Reaction Score
It has to be Kia Nurse for me. She was everywhere, doing everything, and shooting lights out.

Reaction Score
"The defensive part is what really stands out most of the time when you see Gabby play," he said. "She just creates a lot for us. She plays the way Lawrence Taylor played linebacker. Single-handedly, she can ruin a team."

Excerpted from Geno's postgame remarks as they appeared in ESPN's write-up.
She had 5 steals (!) to go along with her 18 points, 6 rebounds and 3 assists.
To me, Gabby epitomizes bad-ass!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since in the purest sense of the award there can be only one (see Highlander TV show) Kia is the BA for me this game.

Reaction Score
Kia is the best shooter on the team? How often does Kia get doubled? None that I've seen. Katie Lou has people pushing, shoving and elbowing her all the time. If Kia got that kind of defensive attention, she would not shoot as well as she does. Having said that, Kia is incredible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom