Kia Nurse | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In many of the recent threads I have detected some dissatisfaction with Kia's play. I think she is playing well and having a good year. She has a great shot, dominant in International play. I'd like to see her try to score a little more; 3-pointers and pull up jumpers. Maybe she's just a little too unselfish.
What say you?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
From what I can see, the only thing that she is doing wrong now is that she is committing charges too frequently. In the first few games, her penetration usually worked; she got a lot of fouls called on the defense. Lately those fouls are being called on her. She needs to dial back just a shade on her aggressiveness in penetration and take some pull ups instead. No big deal; I 'm sure she will do it

In other ways, she is playing well and is meeting any reasonable expectation for her as a sophomore. She occasionally makes a bad pass or lets an opponent drive past her, but so does everyone. She makes a minimal number of bad decisions and a lot of good ones on both sides of the ball, and she works very hard.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
In many of the recent threads I have detected some dissatisfaction with Kia's play. I think she is playing well and having a good year. She has a great shot, dominant in International play. I'd like to see her try to score a little more; 3-pointers and pull up jumpers. Maybe she's just a little too unselfish.
What say you?
I, along with many others, I think, are misled by her great international play this summer. I think the real Kia is somewhere in between the "summer" Kia, and the one we see today. I think(hope) she will straighten out and be a big factor soon.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I wonder if her detractors are watching the same game I am. In spite of some miscues here and there, she plays hard and seems to steady the team down and control tempo when she's on the floor with MoJeff. It seemed that UCONN's production slowed yesterday when she sat with two fouls.

Reaction Score
What say you?

Different game between international and college. She seems a little out of sync...too many "lower your head and drive" plays. Relax and play smart college ball. She'll be fine, I think.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Seems to be a lot of criticism of the girls lately. I don't get it. So we had to teams that challenged us. GREAT!!!!!!!!

The more challenges we get, the better. This team, with all the players, is still evolving.

But I am getting a little tired of some of this commentary.

Reaction Score
I like Kiah, alot. My observation is that she is a physical guard. Not a point guard or a shooting guard. She doesn't excel at anything, just solid. She had a great summer of internationl bb, and is also probably a little tired. I also sense she is feeling a bit of pressure this year. Between trying to live up to this summer's standards, and trying to find her niche on a team loaded with players that mostly excel at " something ". Certainly more skilled than Kelley Farris, but nerver the less a solid complimentary player.

Reaction Score
I know you want to say nice things about but I think you mean complementary.

Reaction Score
I think the concern with Nurse is more looking ahead to next year when she'll be expected to be one of the main scoring and distributing threats.

So far, her performance is more Kelly Faris than Sue Bird. Now, Faris was an excellent complementary player, but that's not going to be enough for us next year.

Reaction Score
What say you?
Even Geno when asked about Kia--gave her big praise--then said her shot will come. After her performance against the USA in Pan Am, some Uconn fans expected her to come back much different than last year. She still plows into double defenders (personal note--if she plowed into #3 and flattened her Mo would have cheered), fails to see teammates when she is attacking the basket, her 3 ball is about where it was. Kia is a fan favorite and has earned that love. But I don't expect her to replicate the PAn AM final's anytime soon. Nor does she have to. All Uconn's 12 players are unselfish--no need to convert Kia away from it.

Reaction Score
I think the concern with Nurse is more looking ahead to next year when she'll be expected to be one of the main scoring and distributing threats.

So far, her performance is more Kelly Faris than Sue Bird. Now, Faris was an excellent complementary player, but that's not going to be enough for us next year.
Sue Bird she will never be--the heir to Bird is Mo jefferson. Kia is a good ball handler with guts. Chong is equally adept at handling the ball and directing traffic--without the confidence. Will Dangerfield be ready to accept the baton from Jefferson?? Will Ekmark be capable to fill the role?
Gabby? Gabby has the abilities and speed, instincts(??).
We have nearly a whole season without projecting what anyone on this team will be next year--except Stewie and jefferson.

Reaction Score
Kia is a rock solid guard that does everything well but is not flashy( sounds like Tuck). She is mature beyond her years and seldom makes bad judgements with the ball. She has been great in the transition game and in half court defense. She needs to work a bit on running through defenders in an attempt to draw fouls, which is easier in the international game. Great athlete , steadying influence, badass and high BB IQ. Her stats are off a touch from last year but will recover. There are those who think Saniya will be our starting point guard next year but IMHO, Kia will be our floor leader.

Reaction Score
Kia at times is trying to hard. As HuskyNan said she needs to slow down. She's not going to duplicate what she did to the U.S. in the championship game. The Huskies don't need her to. She needs to go back to being one part of the team and don't try to do too much.

Reaction Score
Kia is a great player on our team. Plays hard as heck, good 3pt shooter and I definitely love her on our team. Last year I always questioned her decision making and it's more evident this year. She a good player, but her decisions on the fast break are not the best and she just isn't good at driving because she lacks enough athletic ability to finish consistently. She needs to either start passing the ball more or hit that foul line jumper because she can make them. I think she isn't playing to her strengths because if she does things a little different, then she can be almost a perfect looking guard. Just stop going to the basket because you can't jump.....that's it!

Reaction Score
Even Geno when asked about Kia--gave her big praise--then said her shot will come. After her performance against the USA in Pan Am, some Uconn fans expected her to come back much different than last year. She still plows into double defenders (personal note--if she plowed into #3 and flattened her Mo would have cheered), fails to see teammates when she is attacking the basket, her 3 ball is about where it was. Kia is a fan favorite and has earned that love. But I don't expect her to replicate the PAn AM final's anytime soon. Nor does she have to. All Uconn's 12 players are unselfish--no need to convert Kia away from it.

I'm all for flattening #3. Little obnoxious, she was.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
She is a nasty bit of goods. (I have that on good authority.)

Reaction Score
She is a nasty bit of goods. (I have that on good authority.)
Are we speaking of Kia or Mabrey2?? I think the title could apply to either or both on the court. Kia is a great friend and team mate--per Uconn Team members.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Kia is a rock solid guard that does everything well but is not flashy( sounds like Tuck). She is mature beyond her years and seldom makes bad judgements with the ball. She has been great in the transition game and in half court defense. She needs to work a bit on running through defenders in an attempt to draw fouls, which is easier in the international game. Great athlete , steadying influence, badass and high BB IQ. Her stats are off a touch from last year but will recover. There are those who think Saniya will be our starting point guard next year but IMHO, Kia will be our floor leader.
Right on! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc