KFC Yum! Center Is Nearly $10 Million A Year In The Red | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KFC Yum! Center Is Nearly $10 Million A Year In The Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UofL got a great lease deal. I think I saw that they basically pay the overseeing authority $2/ticket. If the YUM center runs a deficit they might get stuck paying more, but as basically their only tenant, what leverage would the YUM center have over UofL? Like someone else said, UofL can always go back to Freedom Hall, but the YUM Center is SOL without UofL. Either way to call a favorable lease deal a scheme is pretty silly.

Hell it makes them look better to have that facility at little cost.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Why did Florida State want Louisville? They seem to care more about football.
Villes football is good. But they are no where near as good as WV in any category. I give the nod to Ville over UConn football, but was the discrepancy as large between these two schools as existed between WV and Ville. Of for that matter, if football mattered why Cuse before Ville. Recently UConn has been better than Cuse. Why didn't FSU fight Cuse. So what changed?

Reaction Score
It makes them look better than what? They have the facility at little cost, that's not wizardry or creative accounting, that's fact. That's like saying University of Texas looks better than what it is because they have a huge fan base, or Notre Dame looks better than it is because they have a huge endowment. Not all schools are equal. Some have advantages and it looks like right now UofL's stadium lease is an advantage for them. I don't understand why people are trying to say it doesn't count.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Villes football is good. But they are no where near as good as WV in any category. I give the nod to Ville over UConn football, but was the discrepancy as large between these two schools as existed between WV and Ville. Of for that matter, if football mattered why Cuse before Ville. Recently UConn has been better than Cuse. Why didn't FSU fight Cuse. So what changed?

Had it been between WVU and Ville - WVU would have gotten the nod this time. It was timing and who had leverage in the ACC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It makes them look better than what? They have the facility at little cost, that's not wizardry or creative accounting, that's fact. That's like saying University of Texas looks better than what it is because they have a huge fan base, or Notre Dame looks better than it is because they have a huge endowment. Not all schools are equal. Some have advantages and it looks like right now UofL's stadium lease is an advantage for them. I don't understand why people are trying to say it doesn't count.

I'm agreeing with you. The deal they have makes them look good. When you have leverage to push cost onto others, it's a positive.

Reaction Score
UofL got a great lease deal. I think I saw that they basically pay the overseeing authority $2/ticket. If the YUM center runs a deficit they might get stuck paying more, but as basically their only tenant, what leverage would the YUM center have over UofL? Like someone else said, UofL can always go back to Freedom Hall, but the YUM Center is SOL without UofL. Either way to call a favorable lease deal a scheme is pretty silly.

I don't think anyone called the lease deal a scheme. The accounting is the scheme. I'm critical of Uconn in that regard as well. There're a lot of shenanigans in sports accounting.

caw

Reaction Score

BC/Miami and maybe VT don't whine and squeal whenever Cuse and UL are brought up. That is why they got in. FSU probably didn't want Cuse or UL either, but got stuck with them when no one else really cared (aside from maybe Clemson).

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Brilliant and classy post.

I'm not here to troll or anything. I like UCONN and want to see them in the ACC or the Big 10. Just wanted to respond and discuss.

Sorry, we get our share of trolls here.

Reaction Score
No worries Funster. They are everywhere these days.

Upstater, you're definitely on the money when it comes to accounting and the apples and oranges comparisons going on.

I guess the only thing I would add is that if you look at Jurich's body of work over 10 years, they are actually investing as much as any school in the country so the revenue figures may be inflated, but not by THAT much.

I think Pitino is one of the highest paid basketball coaches in the country. He recently said he would Coach Strong a top ten paid coach. I believe he is top 15 now.

And facilities construction has been massive. I'm just saying the evidence supports the fact that the AD makes an incredible amount of money. The extent and the level we just don't have enough info to really make accurate comparisons as you pointed out

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Had it been between WVU and Ville - WVU would have gotten the nod this time. It was timing and who had leverage in the ACC.
And that's the key. Who has leverage. This was an emotional act between two factions, tobacco road and the ACC football schools. It's no different than taking in football schools and DePaul for balance and we all know how things turned out there. I conclude, without concrete evidence, there are serious tensions in the ACC. Will they resolve the tension? I doubt it but who knows. Best hope for UConn is the tension between tobacco road and FSU or Delaney takes UConn directly or poaches ACC schools.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
BC/Miami and maybe VT don't whine and squeal whenever Cuse and UL are brought up. That is why they got in. FSU probably didn't want Cuse or UL either, but got stuck with them when no one else really cared (aside from maybe Clemson).
Why did Tobacco Road and Virginia agree to Ville? They would want Cuse. Tobacco road wanted them the first time but the Virginia legislature got in the way.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
i'm eagerly awaiting Louisville going bankrupt and uconn denying the acc for the 4th time
Probably will happen about the same time BCU becomes relevant in football and bb again.

caw

Reaction Score
i'm eagerly awaiting Louisville going bankrupt and uconn denying the acc for the 4th time

Well UConn shouldn't bother applying for admittance to the ACC, because BC will always be there to try and make sure UConn and BC both fail at sports. Fortunately, thus far, BC has only succeeded at making themselves a failure at sports.

Reaction Score
No worries Funster. They are everywhere these days.

Upstater, you're definitely on the money when it comes to accounting and the apples and oranges comparisons going on.

I guess the only thing I would add is that if you look at Jurich's body of work over 10 years, they are actually investing as much as any school in the country so the revenue figures may be inflated, but not by THAT much.

I think Pitino is one of the highest paid basketball coaches in the country. He recently said he would Coach Strong a top ten paid coach. I believe he is top 15 now.

And facilities construction has been massive. I'm just saying the evidence supports the fact that the AD makes an incredible amount of money. The extent and the level we just don't have enough info to really make accurate comparisons as you pointed out

I have no doubt that Ville and Jurich have done a great job. I don't think any UConn fan here is under illusions. What you're hearing from us is the national media denigrating UConn for not caring about facilities, or football, or having a poor athletic department, or for "forgetting who we are" as one ESPN person put it, or coming in 11th place in terms of the most desirable schools left behind UNLV and Houston, etc. It started when people were comparing UConn and Louisville, and it just went downhill from there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Ville and Jurich have done a great job. I don't think any UConn fan here is under illusions. What you're hearing from us is the national media denigrating UConn for not caring about facilities, or football, or having a poor athletic department, or for "forgetting who we are" as one ESPN person put it, or coming in 11th place in terms of the most desirable schools left behind UNLV and Houston, etc. It started when people were comparing UConn and Louisville, and it just went downhill from there.

And this is on the leadership. They have lost complete control of the conversation. I've been patient with them - but this is on Warde and Susan.

Reaction Score
"At least half of all sports fans in the Louisville MSA are University of Kentucky loyalists. Unless those folks are goo-goo for Lady Gaga or bonkers for The Boss, the Yum! Center has little chance of luring them in the door.
That goes for IU fans too.
Common sense and absent dollars say the Yum! Center has a seriously flawed business model. It not only ignores thousands of potential customers in its own backyard, but millions who live elsewhere in this state and across the river."

Somebody in the ACC didn't do some vetting.
Trest, Mark Coomes is pro-nba and wrote this in a manner to drum support with some misleading or missing facts.

The courier journal bluegrass poll showed that in basketball, only 33.3% in Louisville identified themselves as UK fans and 53.7% for UofL. In football only 20.8% identified themselves as uk fans and 61.3% said UofL. Mark, like other UK fans want to continue to falsely report their numbers as half the city or more.

There also is one main reason that he and UK fans want an nba team here. That is because they know it would kill UofL financially in lower attendance and revenue. This city isn't big enough corporate wise to support both. Corporations would choose the nba over UofL in suite and marketing sales. UofL would have to drastically reduce its prices to remain competitive.

The arena is not losing money like Mark leads you to believe. On Monday the Louisville Arena Authority held its first meeting since AEG took over as arena manager. AEG reported that the arena expects to TURN A PROFIT of 1.35 million for the fiscal year that ends in June, up 16% than what was budgeted. This is a result of better revenues mainly from arena rent, concessions and merchandise sales.

Booked events is not the problem and UofL books more than just the mens games. The women also play all their games there and averaged close to 11,000 last year. The main problem is the "Tif". The entire whiskey row block immediately east of the arena was supposed to have been completed last year but legal issues and the stabilizing needing to be done has them still sitting empty, not creating money for the tif district. The stabilizing is taking place now and once done they can finally be refurbished and leased.

Reaction Score
this was painfully obvious when looking at the insane jump in "revenue" ville was claiming. The numbers just never made sense.
Don't confuse what the University makes to what the arena makes. UofL made a boatload of moolah. The arena is struggling but should make up some ground with the tif income once whiskey row is completed and leased.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Trest, Mark Coomes is pro-nba and wrote this in a manner to drum support with some misleading or missing facts.

The courier journal bluegrass poll showed that in basketball, only 33.3% in Louisville identified themselves as UK fans and 53.7% for UofL. In football only 20.8% identified themselves as uk fans and 61.3% said UofL. Mark, like other UK fans want to continue to falsely report their numbers as half the city or more.

There also is one main reason that he and UK fans want an nba team here. That is because they know it would kill UofL financially in lower attendance and revenue. This city isn't big enough corporate wise to support both. Corporations would choose the nba over UofL in suite and marketing sales. UofL would have to drastically reduce its prices to remain competitive.

The arena is not losing money like Mark leads you to believe. On Monday the Louisville Arena Authority held its first meeting since AEG took over as arena manager. AEG reported that the arena expects to TURN A PROFIT of 1.35 million for the fiscal year that ends in June, up 16% than what was budgeted. This is a result of better revenues mainly from arena rent, concessions and merchandise sales.

Booked events is not the problem and UofL books more than just the mens games. The women also play all their games there and averaged close to 11,000 last year. The main problem is the "Tif". The entire whiskey row block immediately east of the arena was supposed to have been completed last year but legal issues and the stabilizing needing to be done has them still sitting empty, not creating money for the tif district. The stabilizing is taking place now and once done they can finally be refurbished and leased.

Guy you are in the ACC. What would possess you to care what anyone thinks about some article about an arena deal on another school's message board.

It's like some guy in the jungle found 20 years after the war ended.

Reaction Score
Guy you are in the ACC. What would possess you to care what anyone thinks about some article about an arena deal on another school's message board.

It's like some guy in the jungle found 20 years after the war ended.
First off were in the Big East last I checked. Why would you care about our arena and discuss it on your sports forum? See, two can play that game.

I like Uconn. Especially the women's basketball program so I do come over from time to time. I saw some inaccuracies about that column and felt compelled to respond to it. There's two sides to every story.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
First off were in the Big East last I checked. Why would you care about our arena and discuss it on your sports forum? See, two can play that game.

I like Uconn. Especially the women's basketball program so I do come over from time to time. I saw some inaccuracies about that column and felt compelled to respond to it. There's two sides to every story.

You miss the point, but I shouldn't be surprised by someone who likes women's basketball. I saw on our board yesterday someone who agreed the Big East is 'vibrant'.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
There also is one main reason that he and UK fans want an nba team here. That is because they know it would kill UofL financially in lower attendance and revenue. This city isn't big enough corporate wise to support both. Corporations would choose the nba over UofL in suite and marketing sales. UofL would have to drastically reduce its prices to remain competitive..

If you prefer a hockey team, Hartford has one available :)

C

claver20l0

Probably will happen about the same time BCU becomes relevant in football and bb again.

Banned? Really for making the same joke HFD makes?

Comical

Well Merry Christmas to all, it's been real

Reaction Score
If claver was banned it just shows that our skin is getting way too thin. Every once in a while he'd say something a little aggressive but was always a respectful poster and I wouldn't say he crossed any lines. I always liked how the boneyard never really banned people unless they were just complete d-bags. We don't need to be so defensive.

Reaction Score
If claver was banned it just shows that our skin is getting way too thin. Every once in a while he'd say something a little aggressive but was always a respectful poster and I wouldn't say he crossed any lines. I always liked how the boneyard never really banned people unless they were just complete d-bags. We don't need to be so defensive.
Claver hasn't brought anything other than trolling to the table in months. Once the hockey east discussions ended he went full bc poster. I congratulate him on being the first poster banned since observer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom