Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 826 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I missed the first two years. And I understand frustration. But I agree that there is no need to be personal.

Reaction Score
Reason we are not in the B12 is because the 4 corner schools fell into their lap, which happened to include the brand of Deion Sanders and another top 10 basketball brand.

You really think the P2 are going to exclude Kansas, Arizona and Duke from sport? If so, the one that doesn't understand this clearly is you
So those programs had more value than UConn. Well, at least we're getting somewhere. Massive brand value, less than Utah.

Reaction Score
Nothing is a lock until the papers are signed. I don't agree that Plan A was just about a virtual certainty. We waited all year for the PAC to get their medial deal, then things fell apart quickly. UConn was under serious consideration for a long time until the PAC fell apart. The Baylor AD even came out and said that certain G5 schools could get pro-rata share. When the PAC collapsed, those schools dropped into their lap. Of course the Big 12 was going to go with P5 schools in their geographic area.

UConn was used. The plan all along was to get the 4 corners and Utah.

Yormark just used UConn to let people think they had alternative. The Big 12 presidents and ADs were never on board with taking UConn. There might have been a few but it wasn’t enough to make a difference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"We were a lock until they had better options. But next time when they have better options it'll be different!"

The Big XII presidents were obsessed with adding more "power five schools"

That is all they cared about.
I don't know if that's exactly true. I think they preferred P5 options, but if none were available we were in with Colorado.

Reaction Score
UConn was used. The plan all along was to get the 4 corners and Utah.

Yormark just used UConn to let people think they had alternative. The Big 12 presidents and ADs were never on board with taking UConn. There might have been a few but it wasn’t enough to make a difference.
If the ADs of other schools were informed about the plan then it was real, this is not true

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We were 100% a lock if not for all the four corner schools joining as Jamie Pollard revealed. There is a timeline where UConn is in the B12 and the presidents approved it, maybe after a bit of initial deliberation.
Is this the Pollard interview you are referencing or is there another?

Reaction Score
If the ADs of other schools were informed about the plan then it was real, this is not true

He doesn’t have a plan. The schools have a plan and they vote on it. He never had the votes for UConn.

You’re so clueless. He doesn’t run the conference like an authoritarian dictator. He’s the errand boy for the member institutions.

Reaction Score

You’re out to lunch. Even the article above indicates that UConn was the backup plan of Arizona fell through.

We weren’t even plan B. More like alternate plan C.

Stop talking.

Reaction Score
He doesn’t have a plan. The schools have a plan and they vote on it. He never had the votes for UConn.

You’re so clueless. He doesn’t run the conference like an authoritarian dictator. He’s the errand boy for the member institutions.
so what is this? Sounds like a plan to me, the same interview I mentioned to you that you continue to ignore
Is this the Pollard interview you are referencing or is there another?

Reaction Score
Read up.

This article doesn’t help your argument.
Absolutely nothing you have said in this thread has any sort of basis, your argument has no value

They were going to fully accept UConn as the 14th member if UA wasn't ready to leave, so yes it was mutually agreed upon and there was interest. We weren't used as "leverage"

Reaction Score
More than OSU, Wazzu, Cal, Stanford
I see, UConn was accepted over them? I missed that.

Are you even a UConn fan?
if I weren't, what would change in the fact pattern?

I will say exactly what I am. I am a grad school alum. I am a sports fan but I will pick and choose. I am not a particular fan of basketball and only went to one game over 3 years and two over 5. The first one for free in a snowstorm the second as an exhibition involving the undergrad. This despite living across from Gampel for 3 years. I am not going to lie about the state of nature and state of play out of some sort of chauvinism.

I admit I'm mostly in this for football but I'm a sports fan in general. I also won't lie to myself about the fact pattern that's emerging in sports writ large. It is quite ugly. I would be more bullish if I thought warranted it. I think the disintegration of the first big east has served virtually none of the schools. Maybe Virginia Tech at best. I think football would be better off in ANY conference temporarily. I think basketball is in the best situation that can be managed at the moment. I think a healthy northeast based conference would be in UConn's best interest but that ship sailed long long ago and even BE basketball is a phantom of its former self but a respectable quality phantom.

I think the power 5/4/3/2 are going to fork (as in split) what remains of the college landscape for their own financial ends. They will end the basketball scene because it will make money as soon as they can ensure the remaining splinters can't raise a credible competitor. Finito. Done. There is no special elf magic that's going to hold basketball together just because. That's a religious belief. Is it a shame? Absolutely. Will it happen. Yes, in the next 10 years. Why is this going to happen? Because the Big 10 and the SEC already told you it is going to happen. You are not special. You will not be saved. So I say "you" instead of "we"... ok, that changes nothing about the future.

Maybe we'll see each other at the DC alumni event if UConn MBB makes a deep run. That changes nothing in terms of UConn's position in the greater sports landscape. Maybe something happens in the ACC crackup. That's just a different type of moving backwards because the long goal is to separate out basketball into the Power 3/2 because the game is that the power conferences get all the money and UConn sits on the outside. Maybe there's a delusion here that UConn will be welcomed in if we dropped football? That would be an interesting theory. Want to run with that one "UConn fan"?

Reaction Score
Absolutely nothing you have said in this thread has any sort of basis, your argument has no value

They were going to fully accept UConn as the 14th member if UA wasn't ready to leave, so yes it was mutually agreed upon and there was interest. We weren't used as "leverage"

You are literally making things up. 100%. You have a folklore understanding and perception of what went down.

Reaction Score

Folks on here have been through this exercise many times before (you can use the search function in upper right). To quote Yogi… it’s deja ve all over again for the veterans on this forum. Hell, @ZooCougar started this thread 11+ years ago!)

There was interest but also significant resistance to UConn - nothing was a gimme.

-> But a report out of Oklahoma this week indicates resistance to such a plan from within the conference.

Barry Tramel, a well-connected columnist for The Oklahoman, reported that there is “little interest” in adding UConn or Gonzaga among “campus decision-makers.”

Tramel quotes an unnamed Big 12 athletic director saying, “I don’t see any movement for a non-Power Five. I do not think there’s enough support to get them across the finish line.” <-

Reaction Score
Read up.

This article doesn’t help your argument.
Here is the deal. UConn was being considered for the 14th spot to pair with Colorado. Arizona was expressing interest as well just in case the rest of the Pac 12 ran for the exits. When it was clear the Pac 12 was done, Arizona was in and Utah and Arizona State wanted in as well so the Big 12 went to 16 schools and there were no spots left for UConn.

Reaction Score
Here is the deal. UConn was being considered for the 14th spot to pair with Colorado. Arizona was expressing interest as well just in case the rest of the Pac 12 ran for the exits. When it was clear the Pac 12 was done, Arizona was in and Utah and Arizona State wanted in as well so the Big 12 went to 16 schools and there were no spots left for UConn.
other way around.. ASU wanted in Arizona came along for the ride. UConn was the odd-number option and we're not even sure the B12 presidents would have even allowed that. Yomark was pressing for the UConn option had it ended in an odd number.

Reaction Score

That was not the deal. Thats folklore.

And think about what you were saying. We were plan C.

And nobody was for implementing plan C.

This was not a thing that was going to happen.

Stop torturing yourself and embrace the truth.

Reaction Score

Some people just don't want to see the truth. Ignore button is looking real good right now

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Lol, why because you disagreed with it? Jim Mora , Benedict, and at least one big 12 a A.D. have all come out and stated that this was the story, but because it disagrees with your narrative it must be folklore?

Lol. OK then.

Reaction Score
Lol, why because you disagreed with it? Jim Mora , Benedict, and at least one big 12 a A.D. have all come out and stated that this was the story, but because it disagrees with your narrative it must be folklore?

Lol. OK then.

Speaking of Folkore. You’re practically Taylor Swift.

Did it ever even occur to you that this was spin?

This was not happening.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom