Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 821 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Let me help you understand better.

Let's take BC.

In 2023, BC had 5 rated games, but one was on ABC vs. FSU, so the charts include 4 BC games.

In 2022, BC had 3 rated games, but one was against Clemson on ABC and 1 was on NBC/Peacock against ND. So, 2 rated games, one against Notre Dame.

In 2021, BC had 4 rated games.

In 2020, BC had 3 rated games, all on ABC, but 1 was against Clemson and 1 vs. Notre Dame, so 2 rated games including 1 against Notre Dame.

In 2019, BC had 1 rated game against Notre Dame on NBC.

So, in 5 years, BC had 16 games out of 60 rated (27%) and 13 rated games rated excluding Clemson and FSU including 2 against ND. Do you think that is representative of BC's overall TV ratings?

What about Syracuse? 20 games out of 59 rated (33.8%) and 15 games rated excluding Clemson and FSU including 2 against ND.

In other words, the graphs you displayed are cherry picked for many of the schools.
I live in western ma and rarely see an news or anything regarding BC football. I would not n=know where to watch their games even if I wanted too (I don't).

Reaction Score
We had 25,000 - 30,000+ season ticket sales on a regular basis for a number of years. The support base does exist here. The University has done a godawful promotion job on the program.

UConn fans hate adversity.

I live an hour from Lawrence and went to tons of home openers when they were awful, which wasn’t that long ago. The stadium was always packed. Even when they played South Dakota.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kansas is already in the Big 12. They don’t have to justify anything.

They also have a Top 25 footballl program, they pay their coach more than we pay Hurley and are putting - couple hundred million into a stadium upgrade.

UConn struggles to get basic renovations and repairs at the Rent which is aging like warm milk and we have been bottom 10 bad for almost a decade.

If you want to know why we are left behind, point towards the Rent and the games there and you will have your answer. It’s Football, Football, Football and Football.
I'd suggest that the criteria for realignment is always on a moving scale. No doubt, football played, and continues to play a role in Connecticut's conference struggles, but it isn't the alpha and omega of our realignment woes. Otherwise are fairly meteoric rise when joining DI/BCS football, which was kept by making a BCS bowl, would have been our ticket in.

I agree, though, that, currently, better football would help our case. But if conferences decide that they want us to be on the outside looking in, better football won't matter.

Reaction Score
I'd suggest that the criteria for realignment is always on a moving scale. No doubt, football played, and continues to play a role in Connecticut's conference struggles, but it isn't the alpha and omega of our realignment woes. Otherwise are fairly meteoric rise when joining DI/BCS football, which was kept by making a BCS bowl, would have been our ticket in.

I agree, though, that, currently, better football would help our case. But if conferences decide that they want us to be on the outside looking in, better football won't matter.

Wrong.

UCF didn’t rise because of basketball.

It’s the Alpha, Omega and every Greek letter in between.

Reaction Score

I don't think Football was the main reason; It's more the fact that we live in a part of the country where people don't really care about college athletics. People aren't die hard fans like they are for teams in other parts of the country (exception UConn basketball). UConn really is special in that it feels like the only big sports school in New England, and the fact that we are the sole school in this huge, densely-populated region is like sitting on a goldmine who's potential has yet to be revealed

You could physically switch UConn with Kansas and we would've been in a power conference a long time ago

Reaction Score
We failed because we made bad coaching hires and are not in a hotbed for talent. I don’t disagree that we should have done better, but we were a good program at a high level before.

I simply resent the national narrative that we can’t do it or that we need to prove something. No, we need money and good coaches. We’ve already shown that we can do it. People are always making up new reasons for us to be left out and acting like we’ve never shown any potential.

Meanwhile, we pile up basketball titles like cord wood and we’re told that’s not important either. The NCAA tourney is the biggest goldmine in college sports. We deserve a seat at the table.
UConn athletics has been pretty successful. Multiple championships at MBB, WBB, Men's Soccer and Field Hockey come to mind.

The football team was successful as soon as it moved up to FBS. Unfortunately things took a terrible downturn after the Fiesta Bowl. I have no doubt that UConn can be successful at football.

Reaction Score
When UConn gets into the top 25 I will call them a top program too. Kansas gives UConn a model which we can emulate.
Emulating 87 wins in 22 yrs isn’t what you want to be emulating especially when UConn has more wins in that span

Reaction Score
Emulating 87 wins in 22 yrs isn’t what you want to be emulating especially when UConn has more wins in that span
Maybe you can reconsider your comment when considering a weak football team, Kansas, became a top 25 program. That should be UConn's goal.

Reaction Score
UConn fans hate adversity.

I live an hour from Lawrence and went to tons of home openers when they were awful, which wasn’t that long ago. The stadium was always packed. Even when they played South Dakota.
Agreed, UConn will only support winners because that's northeast culture. But I also agree with others that the athletic department in the Hathaway era had absolutely no idea what it was doing.

CL82

Reaction Score
Wrong.

UCF didn’t rise because of basketball.

It’s the Alpha, Omega and every Greek letter in between.
Nope. Unless you think Rutgers was a football giant and thus deserving of big 10 membership.

Reaction Score
Nope. Unless you think Rutgers was a football giant and thus deserving of big 10 membership.

They were good enough to make the cut.

We have not been.

The Big 12 literally said football and the inability to compete in the football nil space was why they passed.

Reaction Score

We have not been.

The Big 12 literally said football and the inability to compete in the football nil space was why they passed.
New York City Halloween GIF by Imagine Dragons

CL82

Reaction Score

We have not been.

Yep that was one of about three different times we were up for consideration. There, they preferred to have an existing P5 team.

Rutgers has never made a BCS bowl game and isn't particularly good. What they did have going for them was the fact that the campus is located in the NYCDMA which meant that Big Ten network got on the basic tear at a premium in the NYCDMA. Additionally, the rest of New Jersey has roughly the population density of New Delhi and fortuitously is wedge between NYC and Philadelphia. For Rutgers it was all about demographics and geography.

Reaction Score
Yep that was one of about three different times we were up for consideration. There, they preferred to have an existing P5 team.

Rutgers has never made a BCS bowl game and isn't particularly good. What they did have going for them was the fact that the campus is located in the NYCDMA which meant that Big Ten network got on the basic tear at a premium in the NYCDMA. Additionally, the rest of New Jersey has roughly the population density of New Delhi and fortuitously is wedge between NYC and Philadelphia. For Rutgers it was all about demographics and geography.

We made one by default. That’s how it’s viewed.

Next you’ll probably bust out the Robert Griffin quote.

They were good enough to get in. We were not.

Reaction Score
None of the ACC big boys are going to the B12, absolutely none. That leaves us competing with these likely leftovers:

Pitt, Syracuse, Lousville, BC, VT, Wake, and Duke

I can see Duke and VT making the B12, but theres no way the others receive an invite before UConn. They haven't done anything in years and aren't suddenly moving the needle

Plus UConn's conference buyout will be tiny compared to the rest and not hard to stomach

I am hopeful for most of that, but the ACC remainders will not be paying any conference buyouts after the big schools blow up the conference. More likely they will receive a windfall from the negotiated exit fees from the first defectors.

Even so, we have to be ahead of at least BC and Wake. Probably Louisville too, if academics and reputation still count for anything.

I'm old but I still have hope! :)

Reaction Score
I am hopeful for most of that, but the ACC remainders will not be paying any conference buyouts after the big schools blow up the conference. More likely they will receive a windfall from the negotiated exit fees from the first defectors.

Even so, we have to be ahead of at least BC and Wake. Probably Louisville too, if academics and reputation still count for anything.

I'm old but I still have hope! :)
I don't see why we wouldn't be ahead of Cuse and Pitt also

CL82

Reaction Score
We made one by default. That’s how it’s viewed.

Next you’ll probably bust out the Robert Griffin quote.

They were good enough to get in. We were not.
Well, that's not how pretty much everyone else views those facts, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Reaction Score
Well, that's not how pretty much everyone else views those facts, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

If their football team looked then like ours does now, it would be disqualifying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom