Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 801 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I know there are financial considerations, but after reading all the legal filings and statements today, I simply don't understand how there are any UConn fans who would willingly advocate for us to be associated at all with the ACC and its toxic brand and institutions.

Reaction Score
You have a vowel misplaced there genius....You don't think a highly paid employee speaks for the best financial interests of his employer? He certainly carries the water for ESPN & their partner the SEC.
Herbstreit would be a highly prized hire at any network. He has no reason to cowtow to corporate. And part of his reputation rests on speaking honestly without bias.

Reaction Score
I don't know how to tell you this, but you don't know what you're talking about. Endowments were a thing long before big time athletics were a thing and grew long before big time football became a thing. The B1G research partnership also has nothing to do with athletics, they just pool academic resources to be more competitive.

I suggest you take your own advice and stop tapking

So you’re denying that schools use football to fundraise? Having an FBS program is a big part of a University’s public profile.

Even for the Ivies football is big for Alums and fundraising.

Keep digging that hole.

Reaction Score
At some point this is what it boils down to for ESPN. If they can't keep FSU, and a few others in the ACC, ESPN would want them in the SEC which ESPN also controls. Losing them to the B1G means losing them to FOX.

Why would ESPN pay FSU three times as much in the SEC when they are paying them about a third in the ACC?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Are they a signatory party though? Isn't the legally binding agreement between ESPN and the ACC and not the ACC members et al?
Perhaps I misread it but I thought it stated that the Grant of Rights agreement is what the attorneys couldn't copy. That agreement is between the member schools and the ACC. The media deal is between the ACC and ESPN.

Reaction Score
So you’re denying that schools use football to fundraise? Having an FBS program is a big part of a University’s public profile.

Even for the Ivies football is big for Alums and fundraising.

Keep digging that hole.
No, I'm saying it's a miniscule part of their overall fundraising.

Also for the ivies, they get a lot more donations from other sports than they do for football. If they actually thought football was important for their academic profile, they would participate in the FCS playoffs.

Reaction Score

Also for the ivies, they get a lot more donations from other sports than they do for football.
That cannot be right.

Reaction Score
Huh. ND underpaid by them by a lot then and they don't bitch, which shows how much they value Independent status.
I thought it showed more how little value basketball has to the TV rights deal, even in the ACC. Yormark is probably right that basketball is undervalued, but he's got to convince a network partner that there is more money to be made from hoops (or successfully sever basketball/olympic sports and football rights).

Reaction Score

Also for the ivies, they get a lot more donations from other sports than they do for football. If they actually thought football was important for their academic profile, they would participate in the FCS playoffs.

Football/Sports is part of the image of the school. And it is a crucial part of fundraising.

Reaction Score
Football/Sports is part of the image of the school. And it is a crucial part of fundraising.
I'm not saying it's doesn't play a part, but calling it crucial is incorrect.

Of the top 15 donations to universities, only 6 were given to schools playing FBS football, and of those 6, 3 were by Phil Knight, 1 was to Western Michigan, another to Northwestern, and last one to Stanford.

So of 15, only 5 went to schools in big time football, and that is being generous to Northwestern and Stanford

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
6 schools to bring in ahead of UConn
Memphis
USF
Tulane
JMU
Liberty
ECU
LOL. The ACC is never bringing in Liberty. The Sun Belt doesn't even want them. Wake and Duke will never accept ECU. VaTech will never accept JMU. If Miami is left behind, they will never accept USF. Memphis keeps getting left behind for a reason, and Tulane has been good at football for all of two minutes. We are fine.

Reaction Score
Why would ESPN pay FSU three times as much in the SEC when they are paying them about a third in the ACC?
A couple of reasons. First, better matchups = better ratings as getting the most marketable programs into the same conference will increase ratings. FSU games in the SEC will have better ratings than in the ACC. Next, we know how ESPN works. Say they move 4 ACC schools to their other property, the SEC. Pay them 3x more, get better ratings, don't renew the ACC contract after 2027, and save money as now they are paying 4 teams less than the 18 programs in the ACC.

Reaction Score
6 schools to bring in ahead of UConn
Memphis
USF
Tulane
JMU
Liberty
ECU
I can see Tulane and USF being asked to join. But UConn comes in as a likely candidate too. Remember Stanford and Cal are in the mix now. Academic quality is going to play a role given these schools. UConn is not at the same academic level as Cal but it is impressive. And if Duke and Syracuse remain, and even maybe UVA, basketball quality is going to count, too. And we are a blue blood.

GG

Reaction Score
A couple of reasons. First, better matchups = better ratings as getting the most marketable programs into the same conference will increase ratings. FSU games in the SEC will have better ratings than in the ACC. Next, we know how ESPN works. Say they move 4 ACC schools to their other property, the SEC. Pay them 3x more, get better ratings, don't renew the ACC contract after 2027, and save money as now they are paying 4 teams less than the 18 programs in the ACC.
FSU is likely BIG bound and not SEC.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, the SEC will not allow the Big 10 into Florida, but we'll see. And, FSU would choose the SEC over Big 10.
Imagine when they play Bama, Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee…… every week. They will be crying we can’t compete. What happened to Wake and Cuse?

Reaction Score
LOL. The ACC is never bringing in Liberty. The Sun Belt doesn't even want them. Wake and Duke will never accept ECU. VaTech will never accept JMU. If Miami is left behind, they will never accept USF. Memphis keeps getting left behind for a reason, and Tulane has been good at football for all of two minutes. We are fine.
We just saw SMU and CalFord get in over the objections of FSU and others. How could you be so sure of any of that? That seems to have only worked for BC to keep UConn out.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We just saw SMU and CalFord get in over the objections of FSU and others. How could you be so sure of any of that? That seems to have only worked for BC to keep UConn out.
Because the other 12 schools outvoted them and there was some serious pressure nationally to find CalFord a P4 home.

Reaction Score
Because the other 12 schools outvoted them and there was some serious pressure nationally to find CalFord a P4 home.
Or in other words, the objections of 1 or even a few members wasn't enough to keep teams out the others wanted. Lol at national pressure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom