Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 791 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter. I think it's a physical location kind of a thing.
It is, but the thing is the health center is in Farmington (and from what I understand aligned with Hartford hospital) so this school needs to be on the vicinity of those two.

Of a major medical center existed in or near Mansfield our entire medical school could be within the campus.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is, but the thing is the health center is in Farmington (and from what I understand aligned with Hartford hospital) so this school needs to be on the vicinity of those two.

Of a major medical center existed in or near Mansfield our entire medical school could be within the campus.
Put it in Storrs, and use a shuttle bus to take the students between campuses

Reaction Score
lol.
There is NOT going to be a medical school in Storrs. Med schools need patients, meaning a local population to serve.

Which is why I question why only main campus research “counts”.

Reaction Score
That makes sense. And things always unravel in these threads. This is the wording below from the tweet in post 19,722 which appears to be correct in terms of affecting the "UNC System:"

"The next UNC chancellor may have to decide what athletic conference the Tar Heels play in — a move that could have huge implications for the university, the state, the ACC, other UNC System schools (most notably NC State) and its rivalry with Duke. No biggie."
Envy that “tough” decision

CL82

Reaction Score
lol.
There is NOT going to be a medical school in Storrs. Med schools need patients, meaning a local population to serve.

Nice strawman . There's no need to move the medical school it's expensive wasteful and as you point out logistically poor, however, research should be done on campus. You understand those are different things, right?

Reaction Score
Nice strawman . There's no need to move the medical school it's expensive wasteful and as you point out logistically poor, however, research should be done on campus. You understand those are different things, right?
As a UConn PhD, no I don't. Please tell me how you're going to do research on patients in a small isolated population town in Eastern Connecticut? You're going to have to spend all kinds of money at the facility proper. You think you're the only one trying to goose the AAU figures via work arounds and technicalities?

Reaction Score
Well, I don't think so. I'm no doctor but I think medical research occurs primarily in medical centers and hospitals.

I'm not sure what "aligned" means in this context but I think UConn Health in Farmington is completely separate from Hartford Hospital.

I haven't researched thoroughly but I think UConn research includes UConn Health.

CL82

Reaction Score
As a UConn PhD, no I don't. Please tell me how you're going to do research on patients in a small isolated population town in Eastern Connecticut? You're going to have to spend all kinds of money at the facility proper. You think you're the only one trying to goose the AAU figures via work arounds and technicalities?
You have to invest the money in either location so when I built it on campus. Eastern Connecticut isn't Siberia.

CL82

Reaction Score
you aren't going to get patients to flock to Storrs.
There is a whole lot of supposition involved in that statement.

Reaction Score
There is a whole lot of supposition involved in that statement.
An awful lot of people travel to Farmington to visit Docs at UConn Health, pain in the neck whether you are coming from E,W or South, North is pretty easy. Hartford traffic is still a bear at certain times of the day Took my Mother in Law for numerous visits, something to do with her Medicare plan, blocked off most of the day. No reason UConn Health couldn't be satellite in Mansfield, lots of folks would have access that don't now.

Reaction Score
An awful lot of people travel to Farmington to visit Docs at UConn Health, pain in the neck whether you are coming from E,W or South, North is pretty easy. Hartford traffic is still a bear at certain times of the day Took my Mother in Law for numerous visits, something to do with her Medicare plan, blocked off most of the day. No reason UConn Health couldn't be satellite in Mansfield, lots of folks would have access that don't now.

Reaction Score
I know one of the “ researchers” at the health center. He refuses to consider himself a state employee but if you look up open payroll and see how much money these guys are making, there’s no doubt as to why the health center is a financial dinosaur.

Reaction Score
I know one of the “ researchers” at the health center. He refuses to consider himself a state employee but if you look up open payroll and see how much money these guys are making, there’s no doubt as to why the health center is a financial dinosaur.
Unless doctors are paid a competitive salary, you are going to get the bottom of the barrel. No different from athletes nowadays. Do you want a top notch medical school or a VA? There is a big difference. UConn remember is a public university and relies on public funding for its existence.

Reaction Score
Unless doctors are paid a competitive salary, you are going to get the bottom of the barrel. No different from athletes nowadays. Do you want a top notch medical school or a VA? There is a big difference. UConn remember is a public university and relies on public funding for its existence.
He is not a doctor

Reaction Score
Medic,

You are killing me! So, all this discussion is moot?! UConn Health is there, just add a research facility somewhere on campus, and voila. $$ is on campus.

Reaction Score
You have to invest the money in either location so when I built it on campus. Eastern Connecticut isn't Siberia.
In the typical Eastern mentality of distance Storrs might as well be in Siberia . Its a pain to get to .
My grandson who just took me to a game there can’t believe they built the University there .
His point was when it was established land adjacent to Hartford ,was mostly farmland , West Hartford , Farmington , East Hartford , Windsor , Suffield , Enfirld even Avon would have been a better choice and made the University an economic engine for the entire Hartford area.
Thinking about it as a guy whose expertise was in logistics he made an excellent point.

Reaction Score
In the typical Eastern mentality of distance Storrs might as well be in Siberia . Its a pain to get to .
My grandson who just took me to a game there can’t believe they built the University there .
His point was when it was established land adjacent to Hartford ,was mostly farmland , West Hartford , Farmington , East Hartford , Windsor , Suffield , Enfirld even Avon would have been a better choice and made the University an economic engine for the entire Hartford area.
Thinking about it as a guy whose expertise was in logistics he made an excellent point.
the land was donated, that's why it's where it is.

CL82

Reaction Score
He's not wrong, but the promise of "free land" will often lead people to bad decisions. Renschler field would be a good recent example.

Nonetheless, at the time, no one was foreseeing the stage agricultural college growing to be an "economic engine for the region." They were just looking to educate the next generation of farmers on successful and sustainable farming techniques.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom