Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 776 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
The ACC deal and the Big 12 deal are about the same. And, ACC revenues are at risk as I believe ACC Network revenues are peaking and cord cutting will start the ACCN revenue decline. The Big 12's media deal is shorter than the ACC's deal, so the next Big 12 deal is the real decider of which conference has the better deal. Plus, it's unlikely any Big 12 team has P2 options where a number of ACC schools may so Big 12 is the more stable LT conference from a membership basis. Of course, we one day may see the top ACC and Big 12 schools form a new conference to get rid of the low value schools.

As for conferences being too big, the ACC commissioner just said that he doesn't think all the ACC schools should participate in the conference basketball tournaments. Schools like Cincinnati will play 21 games on ESPN+ this year. So why would a P4 conference want/need more basketball schools?

Keep on mind the Big 12's basketball will move to Fox in 2025 eliminating the vast majority of ESPN+ streaming of it. Fox does not have primary streaming.

Reaction Score
The Big 12's new TV deal also has an escalator clause so it will remain ahead of the ACC. Also, there is no way the Big 12's TV deal decreases, especially after expansion. The worst case scenario is that it gets paid by CBS or NBC but how can someone say the revenue won't be there by 2030. You're talking 5 to 7 years from now.

There's a reason why FSU's president and AD publicly talked about their concern over the Big 12 going to market again before they had a chance. FSU projected the ACC's payout to be 60 million in 2028, the Big 12's should project to be closer to 65 million due to other deals. That's why the Four Corners chose the Big 12 over the ACC.
The Big 12's deal is part of a extension that starts at around 25 & ends at 31.7 but the ACC also has a extension that doesn't kick in until 2027/2028. That's why you still have the Raycom package of games that were to expensive to buy back early. So the ACC will be ahead of the Big 12 from a media rights distribution especially when you factor in the ACCN

Reaction Score
Syracuse will finally become competitive.
Syracuse has been a notable under performer in the ACC. It has been protected by its loyal hacks at ESPN. It continue to bring nothing to the ACC. Eventually that hard fact will lead to its demise...

Reaction Score
Whether the B12 has the better or worse deal than the ACC right now is irrelevant.

The ACC is going to get raided. The B12 isn't.

And the B12 is a lot stronger than the ACC remnants, and will take a clear revenue lead. Why would any B12 team leave that for the ACC?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And your evidence for this is?

All the pro leagues have 30+ teams and seem to do just fine.
The Gavitt games was an indication of it. This is going to be terrible for fans of the original teams.

Reaction Score
The Gavitt games was an indication of it. This is going to be terrible for fans of the original teams.
Your post implied the B1G (the institution) was starting to regret having so many teams, and that is hard to believe without a source, given only a few months ago they voted to expand ever more.

Reaction Score
Keep on mind the Big 12's basketball will move to Fox in 2025 eliminating the vast majority of ESPN+ streaming of it. Fox does not have primary streaming.
ESPN and FOX are splitting Big 12 basketball (number of games has not been disclosed) with ESPN carrying the basketball championship game. FOX will need some content to replace the Pac 12 content (21 on FS1 and 4 on FOX this year), so that is where the 4 corner schools will help. Think of ESPN+ as the "Big 12 Conference Network" similar to BTN, ACCN, and SECN and ESPN+ is one of ESPN's growth drivers. Remember, the vast majority of P4 college basketball games are being shown on the conference networks not on the main networks. I think you will find more Big 12 basketball games on FOX/FS1, but you will still see most games on ESPN+.

Reaction Score
Syracuse has been a notable under performer in the ACC. It has been protected by its loyal hacks at ESPN. It continue to bring nothing to the ACC. Eventually that hard fact will lead to its demise...

I wouldn't be surprised to see them fire Baber (well, actually I don't think that they care)...I've watched his team give up.

Last night VT beat them by 28 points, UNC beat them by 33, FSU beat them by 38

Reaction Score
The Big East and SEC remain more regional in nature...

And that, too me, has not been appreciated enough.
I predict the Big East ( possibly only the eastern teams) will merge with the ACC remnants .
in what still will be a regional conference . Possibly adding Navy , Army , UCF , USF . Possible WVA , and Cinncy who would much prefer to be regional .
FAU even has a shot if Miami

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
CBSN isn’t bad if you watch the games on mute.
I hate watching games on cbssports. The broadcasters are always seemingly lifelong fans and experts on our opponents and our guys are after thoughts. Even for our home games. They dedicated like 30 minutes to some lady who had been to every USF game. Who GAF?

Reaction Score
I hate watching games on cbssports. The broadcasters are always seemingly lifelong fans and experts on our opponents and our guys are after thoughts. Even for our home games. They dedicated like 30 minutes to some lady who had been to every USF game. Who GAF?
The CCSU announcers were better in the game last night.

Reaction Score
I predict the Big East ( possibly only the eastern teams) will merge with the ACC remnants .
in what still will be a regional conference . Possibly adding Navy , Army , UCF , USF . Possible WVA , and Cinncy who would much prefer to be regional .
FAU even has a shot if Miami
Will the Big East agree though? I don't see any of the schools besides us being interested unless we can't get any media deal.

I still see the SEC as a dark horse to merge with the Big East (if a merger of any sort happens). It keeps the conference on the east coast and solidifies the conference as #1 in college sports. That branding goes a long way to push the semi-pro model. It gives a ton of high quality inventory for streaming and hits a ton of markets that they will never get otherwise. As a direct to consumer model it makes sense.

Reaction Score
Will the Big East agree though? I don't see any of the schools besides us being interested unless we can't get any media deal.

I still see the SEC as a dark horse to merge with the Big East (if a merger of any sort happens). It keeps the conference on the east coast and solidifies the conference as #1 in college sports. That branding goes a long way to push the semi-pro model. It gives a ton of high quality inventory for streaming and hits a ton of markets that they will never get otherwise. As a direct to consumer model it makes sense.
This is a interesting take…I think it makes sense but probably would never happen..

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

The other moron Big East schools would rather add Farleigh Dickinson and loyal Chicago before Duke and Cuse

Reaction Score

Your assuming there will be a choice
Survival is the operative word

Reaction Score
And your evidence for this is?

All the pro leagues have 30+ teams and seem to do just fine.

The pro teams play one sport. They are aligned by divisions and leagues with room for limited inter divisional play. With a limited number of games, like Football, it’s doable. The NFL also plays 3/4 days a week, which I do not believe the B1G prefers. In the end it’s all about the money, so it does not matter. The B1G would go to 32 teams for more money per team. I am a firm believer that the top FB schools will eventually leave their conferences to create a new football only conference which will take in almost NFL type money.

Reaction Score
From SBJ:

Screenshot_20231030_092803_Chrome.jpg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Just hoping for around $7 million per year and the continuation of all games on linear TV.

$7 million is about the minimum.. hopefully more

What is the current contract paying the conference members?

I have a feeling that $7mm per school per year is a massive increase. I'm not sure it is attainable.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What is the current contract paying the conference members?

I have a feeling that $7mm per school per year is a massive increase. I'm not sure it is attainable.

Roughly $4M per team.

No shot of $7M per team - best case the money and linear exposure stay the same.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
People need to realize this is the Big East tv deal not UConn tv deal. It’s as much about what UConn is worth as it’s about what DePaul and Butler are worth.

Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Utah, Stanford etc were going to get 20 million for streaming basketball AND football . If you think Butler basketball is going to get 7 million and be on Fox or FS1 every game you are a damn fool.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom