Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 744 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Does NC State flip its vote this morning if they were returning from a stinging loss in E. Hartford? I kid.

Reaction Score
Logic dictates that we are definitely playing that card and this fall is our audition. Can we change any ACC minds- IDK - doesn't look great.
Fail Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

Reaction Score
They're adding one of the worst athletic department in the country when it comes to major sports, they dont care about sports at all, and they're getting an invite because.... they feel bad? Seriously it seems like Cal is getting a spot because people feel bad. It's so weird.
I think one thing people fail to consider is the alumni base. I’ll give an example. My brother went to Indiana I went to UConn. It’s still a state school but almost his entire friend group came from very wealthy families across the country and their business school sent kids to all the top banks. That’s not the case at UConn. I recognize this is just anecdotal but I think broadly it’s pretty true. We attract a different group of people than SMU or Cal or even Colorado. That’s not a bad thing at all but we have never had the same alumni base that a lot of these other schools do. You can see it in the endowment numbers. Indiana isn’t any better at sports than UConn but they have a long history of success with alumni that we just simply don’t have. Part of that is our location and part of that is poor investments from the state until UConn 2000. But when people say Cal got in because of pity that’s simply not true. It’s because they’re a national brand with a very impressive and expansive alumni and donor network that will ensure the school makes proper investments in athletics even if they suck on the field. UConn has really been hampered by the fact that the state really didn’t care about us for almost the entirety of our existence. Which has led to lack of investments (previously) and a lack of alumni support. Just my two cents.

Reaction Score
I think one thing people fail to consider is the alumni base. I’ll give an example. My brother went to Indiana I went to UConn. It’s still a state school but almost his entire friend group came from very wealthy families across the country and their business school sent kids to all the top banks. That’s not the case at UConn. I recognize this is just anecdotal but I think broadly it’s pretty true. We attract a different group of people than SMU or Cal or even Colorado. That’s not a bad thing at all but we have never had the same alumni base that a lot of these other schools do. You can see it in the endowment numbers. Indiana isn’t any better at sports than UConn but they have a long history of success with alumni that we just simply don’t have. Part of that is our location and part of that is poor investments from the state until UConn 2000. But when people say Cal got in because of pity that’s simply not true. It’s because they’re a national brand with a very impressive and expansive alumni and donor network that will ensure the school makes proper investments in athletics even if they suck on the field. UConn has really been hampered by the fact that the state really didn’t care about us for almost the entirety of our existence. Which has led to lack of investments (previously) and a lack of alumni support. Just my two cents.

So, conference realignment is about wealthy elitism now? How does that explain Louisville and WVU?

Reaction Score
But Cal alum don't care about sports. Cal probably cares the least about sports of any major university

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Referring to basketball in a realignment thread is just silly. Almost no one but us cares.
Not acknowledging our national championships and comparing us to schools that have never done anything seems like ridiculous self-loathing.

Now, if you want to say that basketball doesn't significantly matter for realignment, I'll agree with you. But that isn't what you said. You said the world views us as being ECU. That's just stupid.

Reaction Score
So, conference realignment is about wealthy elitism now? How does that explain Louisville and WVU?
I didn’t say that. I said it’s a factor. just like geography is a factor. But for the fun of it sure here you go:
UConn Endowment: $600M
WVU Endowment: $900M
Louisville Endowment: $900M

And just a bit more:
SMU: 1.9 BILLION
Colorado: 1.53 BILLION
Arizona: 1.2 BILLION
Arizona State: 1.4 BILLION
Utah: 1.3 BILLION

Notice the outlier? Tell me again it’s not a factor.

Reaction Score
I didn’t say that. I said it’s a factor. just like geography is a factor. But for the fun of it sure here you go:
UConn Endowment: $600M
WVU Endowment: $900M
Louisville Endowment: $900M

And just a bit more:
SMU: 1.9 BILLION
Colorado: 1.53 BILLION
Arizona: 1.2 BILLION
Arizona State: 1.4 BILLION
Utah: 1.3 BILLION

Notice the outlier? Tell me again it’s not a factor.
West Virginia is a poor state. So is Mississippi. But that’s not what I’m saying. What I’m saying is that still draw in wealth and an active alumni base in a way that UConn never has.

Reaction Score
Ah, yes?

Have you spent any time following realignment?

Except most of the AAC was promoted to the P5 recently.

lol there is no P5 the Pac 12 is literally gone

And the ACC is the 4th best in the P4 with FSU, Clemson, and UNC out the door as quickly as they can

the ACC is going to be closer to the AAC than the B1G soon enough

Good on the AAC teams who got into the B12 but I don't think any of them are going to make it into the B1G/SEC stratosphere

Reaction Score
West Virginia is a poor state. So is Mississippi. But that’s not what I’m saying. What I’m saying is that still draw in wealth and an active alumni base in a way that UConn never has.
I agree with this. I think a lot of Realignment has to do with back room wheeling and dealing of power brokers. We all know that the wealthy in New England shun UConn and have for decades. Hell I’ve met people that don’t think UConn is all that great. I’d put UConn’s academics against any New England liberal arts school any day - but the bottom like is academics really doesn’t matter, money is the factor.

Reaction Score
We aren’t AAC dregs. Say whatever you want but if we’re AAC dregs, so are Duke and Kansas. We aren’t in because BC screwed us the first time and then the second time, the southern ACC schools weren’t impressed with Cuse and BC’s contribution and wanted another southern school.

Now we are a golden goose for Fox at $4,000,000 per. They don’t want us killing the Big East. We aren’t just disrespected, we are actually getting jobbed for business reasons. We bring something to the table for cheap. Believe it or not, our basketball success is hurting us in certain situations.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No blame for the silly flip into the end zone?
Lol, sure, but my point for those look in the SKU were the kid over a relatively benign lapse in judgment is that he scored the only points for Connecticut. In the big scheme of things, two touchdowns is greater than one dumb 15 yard penalty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom