Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 702 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Yep, still a thing today.....a lesser thing...but a thing.

And grabbing more markets is still a thing.

We don't add markets to the ACC and that is a huge problem.
With regards to the ACC, ESPN is generally driven by rivalries (as opposed to Fox which is generally driven by markets).

Reaction Score
Simple. ACC Network and carriage fees in a large metro area and state. If the ACC takes SMU it’s a ST solution, but LT mistake.
Is CT not additive to the ACCN? Is it already in the fold because of BC?

Reaction Score
Right, but they charge pennies. Some of these channels charge less than 5 cents a month.
Earlier this year, I called Optimum (Altice) to cancel a bunch of movie channels I do not watch.

I was transferred to sales - ended up paying $40 less per month for the movie channels - and they threw in the SEC/ACC/B10 networks (I think BeIn too).

I think the ACCN has been available to me for years - but it's a separate subscription (as part of a sports block).

It's nothing like SNY/YES/NESN (or ESPN) - which are included in the base subscription.

Reaction Score
I just can't believe that carriers would pay for the ACCN because of SMU. The 8th most popular program in their own city. It just doesn't make any sense. Dallas has a population of 1.2M. CT has a population of 3.6M. What are we doing here?
Dallas-Fort Worth is the #5 TV market in US. That is ~3 million.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dallas-Fort Worth is the #5 TV market in US. That is ~3 million.
His point still stands. Even if those 3 million people were divided equally among the eight programs in the region, which they are not, it still is a far smaller share than Connecticut which is the only college show available for the states 3,000,000+ people.

Reaction Score
I just can't believe that carriers would pay for the ACCN because of SMU. The 8th most popular program in their own city. It just doesn't make any sense. Dallas has a population of 1.2M. CT has a population of 3.6M. What are we doing here?
The Dallas Metro area has almost 8 million people and is one of the fastest growing in the world and SMU is actually in that area. UConn is not even in a metro area and the closest one is 1.2 million and shrinking.

Reaction Score
And a whopping 10 of them care about SMU. Meanwhile half of CT's population lives in the NYC TV market which is #1 in the US.
So UConn's reach is half the state of Connecticut because half the state's population is New York centric, not Connecticut. Is that suppose to be a selling point?

Reaction Score
His point still stands. Even if those 3 million people were divided equally among the eight programs in the region, which they are not, it still is a far smaller share than Connecticut which is the only college show available for the states 3,000,000+ people.
That is TV households. The Dallas-Fort Worth population is about 6.6 million. I don’t think SMU is a popular school, but if the ACC Network is on 3 million TVs at in market rate, that is a net positive for the ACC.

Reaction Score
That is TV households. The Dallas-Fort Worth population is about 6.6 million. I don’t think SMU is a popular school, but if the ACC Network is on 3 million TVs at in market rate, that is a net positive for the ACC.
If the ACC is still concerned with markets over brands, then they deserve everything that is about to happen to them in the next few years. People do not care about SMU vs any ACC team. People do care about UConn vs half of their old rivals. A UConn v Duke basketball game would deliver more viewers than the highest rated SMU football game lmao

Reaction Score

Assisted access <<

-> Beware, Boston College.

It has to be chilling for the folks at The Heights to see Stanford and California, two of the most prestigious academic institutions in the country, left for dead, along with Washington State and Oregon State, in the ruins formerly known as the Pac-12. The conference has been in existence in some form since 1915, but this will be in its final football season in a familiar form.

Like BC, the Bay Area elites are academically stringent schools in a major media market.

If estimable Stanford, which won the Pac-12 as recently as 2015 and went to 10 straight bowl games between 2009 and 2018, can be tossed aside like a candy wrapper, then the same fate could befall BC if the Atlantic Coast Conference fractured. The same goes for Duke and Wake Forest in a cruel new world ruled only by football marketability and viability.

Power Four footing is tenuous. <-

Reaction Score
I have Direct TV here in Arizona and I have BTN, SEC, and ACCN. I needed to get a sports package to watch Bruins hockey and those 3 networks are part of the package.

Reaction Score
Really? SMU? Guaranteed Dallas TV sets will be tuned to a TX or TAMU SEC game before watching SMU vs. BC, SU etc.
I agree that nobody will care about SMU playing ACC schools. But, that is not my point.

Historically, in the linear channel cable bundle model, the conference networks get 2 rates: in market and out of market. For example, Rutgers is in the NYC media market so NYC pays the in market rate for the Big 10 Network. It is assumed that SMU, since it is in the Dallas/Forth Worth market, would bring the ACCN the in-market rate. The difference between the 2 rates could be $1/month per subscriber. So, adding SMU could add up to $3 million per month. or $36 million per year to the ACC Network in subscriber fees.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom