Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 698 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
So if hypothetically the governor of the State showed up at a UConn football practice today, expressed his support for the program and the athletic department, and specifically declared on the record that the athletics deficit was not a major concern, would that be enough to satisfy the "it's not sustainable" crowd here?

Reaction Score
we need to lock him up somehow
Yeah Jim Mora is much more than just a football coach. He is a great communicator that's light years ahead of other coaches we had at UConn.

UConn needs to lock him up. He can be the face of the football program for years to come. I hope UConn can raise the booster money to pay for his salary in the coming years.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Yeah Jim Mora is much more than just a football coach. He is a great communicator that's light years ahead of other coaches we had at UConn.

UConn needs to lock him up. He can be the face of the football program for years to come. I hope UConn can raise the booster money to pay for his salary in the coming years.
I think a good second year ("not a fluke") guarantees a payday for him

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

It isn't about the money for him. He wants to get back to the top of the mountain or at least as close as possible. UConn as an independent isn't going to do that for him, even if we pay him $5M a yr. If he sees the path forward in a few years, he will stay here. IF there is no path, he is as good as gone at somepoint.

Reaction Score
So if hypothetically the governor of the State showed up at a UConn football practice today, expressed his support for the program and the athletic department, and specifically declared on the record that the athletics deficit was not a major concern, would that be enough to satisfy the "it's not sustainable" crowd here?
Is Lamont King, serving for life, or Governor, serving for what -- another 3.5 years? Does that question answer your question?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Nobody wants to hear that. Ive been saying that same thing for years here. But everyone is caught up in the CR game like it is a fantasy sports website. I've never seen so many sports fans invested in state and university deficits!

We are right where we need to be. The BigEast. We will continue to compete at top level of the game. In the only game that matters at UConn: College Hoops. I wish Football all the success they can muster. Also this CR BS seems to be an obsessive hobby for a bunch of clowns. Have at it, you amuse me with your prognostications about the death of our program because we don't get P4 dollars. It's amusing watching you go nuts over "key tweets" by people living in their Mom's basement and taking it as gospel. Here's the thing. P4 dollars aren't long for this world. A million things are going to happen in College sports over the next decade just like a million things happened over the last decade. We are still standing. We will still stand. And guess what, if it all blows up like many of you predict, it doesnt matter anyway, at that point College sports are done. So who cares? In the meantime I'll see you all at MSG next March!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, I would have a healthy skepticism about it even if you manage to have Lamont declared king of Connecticut. Political @promises" are the most fleeting of all.

(That said, I believe he's sincere. He's a good friend/ally of the program.)

Reaction Score
I understand why the conferences want to expand. I do not understand why ESPN and FOX just let the PAC die because they didn't want to pay them, but now they're okay with paying all of the schools even more money to be members of different conferences. That's what makes zero sense to me.
They wanted to shed Oregon State and Washington State. Those two schools were arguably the two least valuable remaining properties in the P5, and like we've seen so many other times in realignment, survival came down to whichever league had the least amount of dead weight. This is how the Big 12 outlived the PAC-12 and why it will probably outlive the ACC despite having lesser brands on the whole.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Nobody wants to hear that. Ive been saying that same thing for years here. But everyone is caught up in the CR game like it is a fantasy sports website. I've never seen so many sports fans invested in state and university deficits!

We are right where we need to be. The BigEast. We will continue to compete at top level of the game. In the only game that matters at UConn: College Hoops. I wish Football all the success they can muster. Also this CR BS seems to be an obsessive hobby for a bunch of clowns. Have at it, you amuse me with your prognostications about the death of our program because we don't get P4 dollars. It's amusing watching you go nuts over "key tweets" by people living in their Mom's basement and taking it as gospel. Here's the thing. P4 dollars aren't long for this world. A million things are going to happen in College sports over the next decade just like a million things happened over the last decade. We are still standing. We will still stand. And guess what, if it all blows up like many of you predict, it doesnt matter anyway, at that point College sports are done. So who cares? In the meantime I'll see you all at MSG next March!

I agreed with the first sentence and then nothing more.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What makes you think one day SEC wake up and decide that they want the state of Arizona?
Personally I think the SEC will eventually take both Arizona schools. They may end up being the only B-12 (16) members that end up in a big two conference.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If you could guarantee that either he'll remain governor forever (and the state house will always be in agreement) or that whoever is governor will always feel this way (and again, the state house will always be in agreement) it would cover a large part of the sustainability equation.

State support for other items could become a question if they end up being neglected.

Reaction Score
SEC only takes elite football programs, or at the very least "good" ones. They will likely end up with FSU+Clemson and will probably stop adding after that anyway.

Edit: I could MAYBE see them adding Oklahoma State and/or TCU in the future if they start to dominate the Big 12 going forward.

The SEC will take some combination in NC (NC State, UNC, Duke) and Virginia Tech (assuming UVA goes to the B1G as expected) to get into adjacent, new markets (Charlotte, RDU, DC) that will not stretch them beyond their footprint. I even think a central school like Cincinnati, WVU and Pittburgh would not be beyond them either.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Ugh, literally the landing space in between.....but a whole new state for ACCN and recruiting. I hate to say it....but it sounds feasible.
Isn’t it ironic that the logic used to justify SMU to the ACC is the same logic that was used to suggest UConn would be a great fit for the big 12? And yet, it was ASU and UU not us. You can’t make this snow up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

That Sucks The Office GIF

Reaction Score
Ugh, literally the landing space in between.....but a whole new state for ACCN and recruiting. I hate to say it....but it sounds feasible.

And they could drag Memphis (basketball, recruiting) and/or Tulane (academics, improving sports program) with them. With those adds, the ACC will live-up to it's billing as the All Criminals Conference.

Reaction Score
lol wut

This would be an absolutely terrible decision for all parties. SMU is literally begging for entry and apparently willing to take NO revenue distribution? The ACC is adding a moribund football program with no following.

I cannot fathom the presidents of Florida State and Clemson voting to add SMU.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

They might get told that they are getting their off ramp from the ACC by X date in exchange for cooperation....or ESPN will take SMU pro-rata share and give it to the ACC's new "performance" pot used to reward winning programs.

Reaction Score
lol wut

This would be an absolutely terrible decision for all parties. SMU is literally begging for entry and apparently willing to take NO revenue distribution? The ACC is adding a moribund football program with no following.

So the big football schools do not want a footprint in Texas where it is perhaps the best football recruiting in the country for a fire sale price? They don't want to make more money and increase their exposure to Texas?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom