Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 695 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I think the ACC leftovers would be beyond stupid if they don't want to expand now. However, they are tied to the dumb long-term contract they signed with ESPN, and there isn't an automatic clause to pay the new team(s) more money pro rata so that will have to be negotiated with ESPN.

The question isn't if the ACC would like to expand or not, the real question is if ESPN is interested in paying some money to get some extra inventory. I am not sure what is the worth of UCONN, but our men's and women's basketball content got to be worth something.
Not enough apparently

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I understand why the conferences want to expand. I do not understand why ESPN and FOX just let the PAC die because they didn't want to pay them, but now they're okay with paying all of the schools even more money to be members of different conferences. That's what makes zero sense to me.

That's exactly what happened with the old Big East.

Reaction Score
Harvard, Yale, Stanford and Princeton are the Big 4 of college endowments. They have the wealth and prestige to avoid temptation when it comes to college athletics. I get it. We all succumb to temptation at times. We have seen these institutions bend when it comes to academic standards for athletes, flexibility around NIL and post-season tournaments.

Stanford currently stands at an important crossroads. Their conference colleagues have left them behind in conference realignment. Their president has been ousted amidst allegations of ethical improprieties. They may even decide to join some of their former colleagues in a P2 conference at a reduced economic. However, if Stanford decides to join the ACC or the Big 12, it will be the most extreme case of capitulation we have ever seen in college athletics. I hope it doesn’t happen.

Reaction Score
Yeah those schools are going to leave a conference that pays more and fits their geographical make up for the B12.
If Clemson, fsu, unc and uva leave, these four schools will most certainly pick the big 12 over the remaining acc.

Reaction Score
Harvard, Yale, Stanford and Princeton are the Big 4 of college endowments. They have the wealth and prestige to avoid temptation when it comes to college athletics. I get it. We all succumb to temptation at times. We have seen these institutions bend when it comes to academic standards for athletes, flexibility around NIL and post-season tournaments.

Stanford currently stands at an important crossroads. Their conference colleagues have left them behind in conference realignment. Their president has been ousted amidst allegations of ethical improprieties. They may even decide to join some of their former colleagues in a P2 conference at a reduced economic. However, if Stanford decides to join the ACC or the Big 12, it will be the most extreme case of capitulation we have ever seen in college athletics. I hope it doesn’t happen.
Stanford will do like Notre Dame. Football independent, park all other sports in whoever they deem adequate. I think MW would work fine for them. And MW would love it.

Probably convince Berkeley to do the same.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
To be clear, UConn stayed to collect every programs tourney credits.
Part of the settlement was the Catholic schools got the name and the football schools got the credits.

Reaction Score
Fox was never going to let the Big12 take UConn. Fox gets UConn for pennies in the BE.

Why would Fox pay UConn 8x more --- all while destroying the amazing Big East content they have?

It was never going to happen, no matter what Yormack wanted
Fox only has the BE for one more year. But I understand what you're saying. Personally I've always liked ESPN more. Hope the BE moves.

Reaction Score
Unless there is an endowment specifically for sports.

I know that William and Mary has all of their football scholarships endowed. That means the interest from the endowment is what pays for the scholarships. Or something like that.
Like I said in my post, this is counted as athletics revenue 99% of the time.

Reaction Score
Couldn’t agree more. I don’t understand it and maybe I never will but that seems to be the general consensus from the decision makers.
This is true only if you ignore what happened to UConn 2x in the ACC expansion. Many schools and administrators assessed UConn to be the prime target, 2x.

Both times UConn was muscled out, once blackballed by BC, and then tossed by FSU and Clemson.

Reaction Score
I find it confusing how the state hasn’t put pressure on ESPN in all of these years of realignment. The state could save tens of millions of dollars annually by UConn being in a power conference.
Perhaps the media partners aren't the only ones who are stupid.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is true only if you ignore what happened to UConn 2x in the ACC expansion. Many schools and administrators assessed UConn to be the prime target, 2x.

Both times UConn was muscled out, once blackballed by BC, and then tossed by FSU and Clemson.

UConn has been blackballed by BCU for over 20 years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the vote went when Hockey East added UConn?
Pretty sure it was unanimous, because the official votes are almost always unanimous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom