Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 597 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I mean until it doesn't work out, they don't hit their targets, and all the deal has done is delay the inevitable for 3-5 years. So Apples investment is just gone.
And then they split up and go to more lucrative offers. It isn't a bad tactic if you believe that the existing Apple offer is unacceptable. It really is a no lose move.

Reaction Score
I mean until it doesn't work out, they don't hit their targets, and all the deal has done is delay the inevitable for 3-5 years. So Apples investment is just gone.
and you know this how? I could easily argue in 5 years Apple is a major player in sports broadcasting and they dictate the terms. Why do you think Fox is desperately trying to block them from entering? Maybe its because, if they do, they will be a game changer.

Reaction Score
It’s what I actually think. That said, it makes as much sense as any other interpretation. Right or wrong.

Having multiple groups of university boards playing hardball with Apple is a recipe for disaster. It would take an iron clad willpower for any of the other boards to trust that the other's aren't cutting side deals ala Colorado. Beyond that, I haven't seen anyone leaking anything about another round of Apple meetings. The universities are going into bunker mentality where everyone is out for themselves.

Reaction Score
Having multiple groups of university boards playing hardball with Apple is a recipe for disaster. It would take an iron clad willpower for any of the other boards to trust that the other's aren't cutting side deals ala Colorado. Beyond that, I haven't seen anyone leaking anything about another round of Apple meetings. The universities are going into bunker mentality where everyone is out for themselves.
Most deals happen in secrecy, not in a social square. Thats why this back and forth is frustrating. Stop taking tweets as face value. Much more is going on underneath that we arent privy to.

Who accepts the first bid anwyay? Apple purposely low balled them to test the waters. The schools are responding predicatably by going public threatening to leave. Apple is back up at the plate.

Reaction Score
Most deals happen in secrecy, not in a social square. Thats why this back and forth is frustrating. Stop taking tweets as face value. Much more is going on underneath that we arent privy to.
It takes months to put these media deals together. Apple's offer wasn't meant as the opening round of haggling, and the schools aren't acting like they would if it was.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Why does anyone think the PAC-9 is staying together? The Arizonas have no reason to stay for less money and stability?

Reaction Score

Who accepts the first bid anwyay? Apple purposely low balled them to test the waters. The schools are responding predicatably by going public threatening to leave. Apple is back up at the plate.
Sorry, you think the Pac wanted Colorado to leave and that things are going according to plan? But also there were other bids for the Pac, Apple's bid was just arguably the most attractive one. Apple isn't going to bid against itself.

Reaction Score
No, I disagreed with what you wrote earlier. That's different

Then the board, and or the influential alumni are the relevant decision makers. And they are the ones who are deciding that there is value in athletics.

I have a different characterization of that event. I think Maric, though undeniably brilliant in her field, is an inexperienced negotiator who utilized a point in a very tone deaf and poorly timed manner. Back to the reoccurring theme she was immediately corrected by, wait for it, the relevant decision makers.

( For what it's worth, the point she made is a valid one in that the state of Connecticut pays the university of Connecticut who's relevant decision makers have decided to take a portion of that payment and support athletics, and as a consequence a portion of the state of Connecticut's funds getting returned to, wait for it again, the state of Connecticut. All that does is move the accounting loss from the CDRA's to the athletic department. Effectively just masking the CDRA's consistent in ability to turn a profit.)

Wait, you just made the argument over several posts that the president was irrelevant. I disagree, but at least you should be consistent if that's your position. In any event I know that our president did not propose eliminating athletics, rather she proposed eliminating what is unarguably a poor lease deal for the university.

Lol, I love how you switch back and forth between university presidents being a powerless stooges and crusaders for right as you find it convenient. As noted above, the situation described "tells me" that we have an inexperienced negotiator echoing some of her what she has been told is potential leverage in an in efficient, untimely, and novice like manner. It's OK she'll learn to let professionals do the talking for her.

I guess I'll just rerite everything I wrote before. It's an absolute FACT that Presidents at sports schools spend practically no time on athletics, and that the ADs are largely autonomous. When Presidents get involved, it ends badly for them. Trustees are politicos and usually sports fanatics; many of them are not academics and wouldn't really know much about how departments run. Many are just functionary. There to rubber stamp. Until the point when someone threatens their sacred cow: sports.

What you see as inconsistency is actually absolute consistency. I wrote that WHEN Presidents go against the grain and meddle with sports, things end badly for them. There are a ton of examples, I gave just a few with Murano and UAB earlier, but there are many many more. The Chronicle Study only UNDERLINES what I am saying.

You can call Maric inexperienced or whatever, but that's quite an argument to make, "she made a mistake!", when a President you just elevated to that position is making that kind of money. Presidents are some of the most risk averse people you will ever meet. For her to do that can only mean she understands the dire circumstances confronting her, and that her gamble was forced by those circumstances. I don't see it as a mistake, but rather as a gamble in reaction to horribly bad circumstances. If I'm wrong, then UConn hired an idiot.

Reaction Score
Sadly, I am a New York Jets fan. If I believed the media, and I actually chose to, I was convinced Dalvin Cook was going to sign with Jets when he visited Sunday. Turns out he left without a deal. Why? Because he was trying to use them as levarage for a better deal with the Dolphins. He never intended to sign. So many on here and on twitter are saying Yormark is playing the Pac 12. Maybe its the other way around. Maybe the Pac 12 is Dalvin Cook and Yormark and Big 12 are the New York Jets. Maybe they are the ones being used.

Reaction Score
But the Apple Pac deal doesn't even really sound like an acceptable rate. It starts out less than they were making last decade. Visibility is low, the money is bad, and the one major caveat is if they meet arbitrary goals that Pac sports never seem to do good with, they might be competitive with the Big XII and ACC at a future point.

Again, there were competitive bids sent out, Apple's was likely the best. They aren't going to re-bid on themselves. The Pac schools saw their numbers, and acted accordingly. One has already left, the others with options are making moves if they can.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I guess I'll just rerite everything I wrote before
Thanks for letting me know, because then I don't have to read the same drivel yet again.

In the end regardless of how much word salad you throw out, the decision makers at the University directly decide whether or not to fund athletics, not the state as you originally contended. They have decided that maintaining athletics brings at least equal value to the amount of money they are investing in it, unless you're contention is that they're idiots.

You can "blah blah blah" as much as you want but nothing changes that fact.

Reaction Score
Hypothetically, if my aunt had testicles, she would be my uncle.
Hypothetically you believe Utah is tied to the hip with the Arizona's yet nothing actually factual suggests that. And yes, if your aunt had testicles, she would be your uncle.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Sadly, I am a New York Jets fan. If I believed the media, and I actually chose to, I was convinced Dalvin Cook was going to sign with Jets when he visited Sunday. Turns out he left without a deal. Why? Because he was trying to use them as levarage for a better deal with the Dolphins. He never intended to sign. So many on here and on twitter are saying Yormark is playing the Pac 12. Maybe its the other way around. Maybe the Pac 12 is Dalvin Cook and Yormark and Big 12 are the New York Jets. Maybe they are the ones being used.
Don't you think it's possible that Cook wanted a contract above what the current environment warrants (but at a level he believes he deserves) and would have signed with the Jets if they offered what would under different circumstances appear to be a fair price but in today's NFL is $4+ million a year more than the market now dictates?

This is an ideal segue as the PAC's current situation does parallel quality running backs in the NFL. They can look around at quality players at DL, CB, WR (all historically of lesser importance than a running back) getting contracts of $18 million, $20 million, $22 million, $24 million annually while the top running backs in the game (pre-existing contracts excluded) are being capped at ~$11 million a year.

The remaining members of the P-12 can complain all they want about being better brands, a better product, whatever than the B-12. If it was going to land them a similar contract to what the B-12 has it would have happened months ago.

Reaction Score
Don't you think it's possible that Cook wanted a contract above what the current environment warrants (but at a level he believes he deserves) and would have signed with the Jets if they offered what would under different circumstances appear to be a fair price but in today's NFL is $4+ million a year more than the market now dictates?

This is an ideal segue as the PAC's current situation does parallel quality running backs in the NFL. They can look around at quality players at DL, CB, WR (all historically of lesser importance than a running back) getting contracts of $18 million, $20 million, $22 million, $24 million annually while the top running backs in the game (pre-existing contracts excluded) are being capped at ~$11 million a year.

The remaining members of the P-12 can complain all they want about being better brands, a better product, whatever than the B-12. If it was going to land them a similar contract to what the B-12 has it would have happened months ago.
You said it better than me. I think all those things. Just like how I believe Dalvin Cook truly wants to be a Dolphin, I think the remaining Pac 12 schools want to stay together. This is all noise in their attempt to have Apple sweeten the pot. Apple undoubtedly will have to if they really want this. If they don't, well, then the Pac 12 is dead.

Reaction Score
In before its tweeted. My guess is in 72 hours, the Pac 9 stays in tact, adds 1-3 schools, FSU is stuck in ACC purgatory, and UConn joins Colorado in the Big 12.
I get excited until I see who posted this

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Something Big12 presidents consider if they're thinking strategically.

"Most of the population live in the USA Time Zone of EST. Around 47.6% of people live in EST of the USA Time Zone. In the USA Time Zone of CST, 29.1% of people stay. In MST, 6.7% and PST 16.6% of people live in those USA Time Zones."

Was that written by Yoda?

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
As a former teacher of English as a Foreign Language I would consider that a B- effort for an intermediate student.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Seriously @CL82 and Upstater, maybe create a separate thread for "state financing and its impact on college athletics".
The ignore feature has cut my reading time in half. There should be a ten post limit per day on this site.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom