Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 589 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The ACC pays more over the life of the GOR. They aren't leaving for the Big XII.
As things currently stand you are correct. If Yormack succeeds in his vision the B12 will be considered the more valuable conference and it will be reflected in the 2031 media deal. In which case the Big 12 might be pulling some prized properties that the SEC and Big have no room for.

Reaction Score
Not to be a downer but at this point, I just don’t see a scenario where Utah doesn’t accept a Big XII invite. The BIG10 is prioritizing O/W and then Cal/Stanford which means U is 5th on their list. The SEC clearly makes no sense for them. So with the PAC falling apart why wouldn’t they go BIG XII? They’re close to their geographic heart, are similar to many of the other schools, and they already have a built in in-state rival. They’d continue to be a national contender in football and would have huge games against Arizona, BYU, and Colorado, Baylor, and TCU every year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As things currently stand you are correct. If Yormack succeeds in his vision the B12 will be considered the more valuable conference and it will be reflected in the 2031 media deal. In which case the Big 12 might be pulling some prized properties that the SEC and Big have no room for.
I doubt that very much. If the ACC had a chance to get a deal right now it would probably be $10m a year more than the Big XII.

If they are smart they grab UConn, Stanford and Cal. Stanford solves some of Notre Dame's needs and you get closer to pulling them all the way in. The ACC has a fantastic situation and stronger programs and markets than the Big XII, but they are asleep at the wheel.

Reaction Score
I think he meant he wants schools that are there to help the Big 12 grow and challenge the big boys. Long term. Not just until next media deal.

What makes Big12 strong right now is no school is a threat to be plucked by another conference.

You start pulling in members that are clear targets for Big, and are reaching out to Big you’re weakening the conference. He wants schools that want Big 12. That’s what he said.

Now, will the Presidents live by that? Will they live by his goal of expanding markets? Going East? That’s all up for debate. If they go all in on AZ and Utah, not so much.

Listening strictly to BY, there really is one school that checks almost all his boxes. That’s my hope.

The concern I would have with UConn in Big 12 is whether we’d bolt to ACC if given opportunity. But Big 12 GOR sort of negates that.

Right, I agree they wouldn’t grab Oregon and Washington and have to deal with big 10 rumors constantly. But ASU and Utah they wouldn’t have to deal with that. Even Colorado and Arizona aren’t joining because they want to be in the big 12 so bad they are joining because they pac 12 tv deal is going to be bad. As you alluded to in your last paragraph, we want in the big 12 because it’s the only p5 we have a shot at. But if the Acc came calling we might prefer that, and definitely would if they could figure out how to ensure it would survive. Even if we joined the big 12, the ultimate goal down the road would be get ourselves on the big 10s radar

Reaction Score
I think it this point it's a 3 way race for #16 in the Big 12. If the Big 10 decides to go Oregon / Washington - it's UConn or Utah for #16. If they decide to go Washington / Stanford -- it's Oregon for #16. Pray for Oregon / Washington and for BYU or others opposing Utah.

Reaction Score
I think it this point it's a 3 way race for #16 in the Big 12. If the Big 10 decides to go Oregon / Washington - it's UConn or Utah for #16. If they decide to go Washington / Stanford -- it's Oregon for #16. Pray for Oregon / Washington and for BYU or others opposing Utah.
The big 10 has clearly stated that Stanford offers little in terms of additional revenue. If they add, Oregon is on the top of the list.

Reaction Score
I doubt that very much. If the ACC had a chance to get a deal right now it would probably be $10m a year more than the Big XII.

If they are smart they grab UConn, Stanford and Cal. Stanford solves some of Notre Dame's needs and you get closer to pulling them all the way in. The ACC has a fantastic situation and stronger programs and markets than the Big XII, but they are asleep at the wheel.
If the ACC had a chance to get a deal right now all their valuable schools would leave for the SEC and Big 10.

Reaction Score
Not if they lose Clemson, FSU, UNC, and UVA.
I'm assuming the GOR is ironclad given FSU's temper-tantrum yesterday. But yes, if there is an out and FSU finds a suitor between the SEC and the B10, things could shift.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

First, why would Stanford and Cal take them if the rumors of a Big Ten opportunity are correct? Second, FSU publicly screaming about how much the conference sucks every eight minutes isn't a particularly good look for the ACC. Third, I'm not sure ESPN wants them to survive. I think they're going to get the "big east treatment."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm assuming the GOR is ironclad given FSU's temper-tantrum yesterday. But yes, if there is an out and FSU finds a suitor between the SEC and the B10, things could shift.
If FSU thought the ACC GOR was vulnerable, they'd be gone today. The fact that they're not and have resorted to having periodic temper tantrum's as their primary strategy and is likely the most telling statement of how they view their chances in court.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

Are they asleep or is it possible that if they add schools FSU and others can get out of the GOR?

Even with the optimistic 10 million you propose it won’t satisfy FSU if they can get more from another conference.

The ACC is stronger but pieces in the realignment puzzle are moving and reshaping the college sports landscape. The ACC GOR, an asset up until this point, is making that conference vulnerable in the future because they can’t take steps to solidify their position.

And their more valuable properties are currently more coveted than any in the B12.
Hence the belief they are more vulnerable to a major break up.

Things could change. Eight years is a long time. If the B12 does well in sports, attracts viewers and gets a substantial increase in revenues they can leap over the ACC in 2031. Or ironically that can create a situation where their best properties become more valuable to the SEC or BIG than those in the ACC.

All I care about now is to get into the power club. I agree with Fishy. It is not just the need to get more money. The next step will be a seismic shift among the college sports world. It will happen without warning and much sooner than many people expect imo.

I’d take either the ACC or the BIG if they made an offer over the B12. But that’s not happening in the foreseeable future.

So let’s hope we get into the B12, the conference exceeds expectations, we keep the value of our bb properties, make our football program coveted, demonstrate that under the proper conditions the northeast market supports our sports in a manner similar to other regions and UConn can choose its own destiny rather than be at the mercy of others.

Reaction Score
The state doesn't pay that huge deficit.

We need to stop calling it a deficit. It’s an investment by the State or School or whomever in the university. It’s a positive and not a negative. The powers that be have decided that it’s in the best interest of the state of Connecticut and UConn to continue to invest in athletics.

Federal/States/Cities provide subsidies all the time. We as UConn fans are lucky that our state cares enough. The cost of the investment in UConn Athletics per state resident is approximately $14 per year. I’d rather see that 50M go into the research side and getting a bigger payout will help, but until then we leverage the subsidy.

Reaction Score
I have a really hard time imagining the end game here. The P2 doesn't make all that much sense when they've almost reached the limit of who can bring back the money ESPN and Fox are paying. After Oregon, Washington and 4 ACC properties are gone, that's it. The door has to close. The market dictates it.

So how is the P2 going to deal with all these schools left behind? There are a lot of them.

In basketball alone, you can't really have an NCAAT without Duke, UConn, Villanova, Georgetown, Syracuse, Kansas and Gonzaga. Heck, these 6 could form their own league and totally neutralize the P2 attempt to take over the sport. Add NC St, Pitt, Miami, Arizona, Baylor and maybe Houston, and it's over.

I just can't imagine how they are going to do all of this.

I'd love to hear scenarios about how the P2 accomplishes what they want to do.

Reaction Score

I believe the race to 20 has started. This should work in our favor, but it’s not going to be a B1G favor.

Reaction Score
I just curious what is really happening. Obviously AU and ASU are a tag team.

We have Thamel and Scheer saying Utah and those schools are locked in step. But outside of supposition, I don’t see Utah mentioned.

Utah, good football, good fanbase, but duplicative. If Brett Yormack wants basketball, markets, and more potential, then Utah isn’t it.

If the Big 12 wants to think about being a national league, basketball superpower - Utah for 16 isn’t it

I think presidents are fine with UConn. The ADs, who are all chasing sec jobs, just can’t wrap their heads around not taking a better football school just no vision.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are they asleep or is it possible that if they add schools FSU and others can get out of the GOR?

Even with the optimistic 10 million you propose it won’t satisfy FSU if they can get more from another conference.

The ACC is stronger but pieces in the realignment puzzle are moving and reshaping the college sports landscape. The ACC GOR, an asset up until this point, is making that conference vulnerable in the future because they can’t take steps to solidify their position.

And their more valuable properties are currently more coveted than any in the B12.
Hence the belief they are more vulnerable to a major break up.

Things could change. Eight years is a long time. If the B12 does well in sports, attracts viewers and gets a substantial increase in revenues they can leap over the ACC in 2031. Or ironically that can create a situation where their best properties become more valuable to the SEC or BIG than those in the ACC.

All I care about now is to get into the power club. I agree with Fishy. It is not just the need to get more money. The next step will be a seismic shift among the college sports world. It will happen without warning and much sooner than many people expect imo.

I’d take either the ACC or the BIG if they made an offer over the B12. But that’s not happening in the foreseeable future.

So let’s hope we get into the B12, the conference exceeds expectations, we keep the value of our bb properties, make our football program coveted, demonstrate that under the proper conditions the northeast market supports our sports in a manner similar to other regions and UConn can choose its own destiny rather than be at the mercy of others.
The ACC GOR is to the conference. The Conference can negotiate a new deal with ESPN any time it wants, and it does not invalidate the GOR. Adding three schools would be grounds to renegotiate but would not give anyone an exit from the GOR. The only question is whether ESPN is interested in playing that game.

The Current Pac12 deal is another joint ESPN/Fox deal, like the Big XII has. So ESPN is getting out of that. If the B1G grabs Oregon and Washington, ESPN should be able to shore up the ACC. Does it want any west coast content? As of now it wouldn't have any. If it does, and the B1G isn't really going to add Stanford and Cal, then they have an opportunity.

For UConn, I'd take the first P5 offer. Quickly.

Reaction Score
We need to stop calling it a deficit. It’s an investment by the State or School or whomever in the university. It’s a positive and not a negative. The powers that be have decided that it’s in the best interest of the state of Connecticut and UConn to continue to invest in athletics.

Federal/States/Cities provide subsidies all the time. We as UConn fans are lucky that our state cares enough. The cost of the investment in UConn Athletics per state resident is approximately $14 per year. I’d rather see that 50M go into the research side and getting a bigger payout will help, but until then we leverage the subsidy.
Have to agree with CL82 here. It's the school, not the state funding it. And we know that because the school keeps raising tuition at a very fast pace, almost to the breaking point. If we said the state is funding this deficit, we'd have to deduct that subsidy from what the state is willing to give the academic side to defray some of the tuition.

This is the type of stuff the UConn President stuck her neck on the line for. Criticizing the Governor is not that smart, so... why do it?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I believe the race to 20 has started. This should work in our favor, but it’s not going to be a B1G favor.
I’m not sure the BIG expected the PAC to explode. Weaken certainly by their move to take USC and UCLA. But to this extent no.

Ideally for them they would like to see if those two properties pan out the way they project before considering Oregon and Washington or take ACC properties. Their hand may be forced now.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I just curious what is really happening. Obviously AU and ASU are a tag team.

We have Thamel and Scheer saying Utah and those schools are locked in step. But outside of supposition, I don’t see Utah mentioned.

Utah, good football, good fanbase, but duplicative. If Brett Yormack wants basketball, markets, and more potential, then Utah isn’t it.

If the Big 12 wants to think about being a national league, basketball superpower - Utah for 16 isn’t it

I think presidents are fine with UConn. The ADs, who are all chasing sec jobs, just can’t wrap their heads around not taking a better football school just no vision.
I don’t know if AZ and ASU are definitively wired. I think that’s a sound assumption, but not a given.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom