Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 588 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
What our AD needs to do is to have UConn become a threat to one of the networks. UConn has been a pawn in all of this because it’s a hidden gem. It delivers a valuable market for pennies on the dollar. Why would anyone give that up if they don’t truly have to? Make them be forced to.
Ah, the old we are so valuable, the conferences will fight over us take.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sure. But we do get to play Seton Hall.
Easier games for me to get to, so, for me it's a plus.

Reaction Score
People wouldn't be interested in a sport where every team makes it from the P-whatever. It makes the regular season worthless and it produces a watered down crappy tournament. People want the regular season to matter, they want the little guys having chance to make the tournament and do damage in the tournament. If they do anything for money it will be expanding the tournament which would also be a mistake but not anywhere near as dumb.

I hear ya, but…There will still be last second shots, upsets, an Elite 8, Final 4, etc. A large percentage of the country will have a stake in the tournament and people will watch. What is the alternative viewing option?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It was hardly a country club in the 80s. More like a mental institution comprised of 75% savages, 15% real students and 10% randos up for a good time. A fair statement is nobody went there unless you could go somewhere else better. Today, it is crown jewel. Thank Calhoun (and billion+ spent on upgrades) for transforming UConn as a first class place.
I was there and passed on going to Brown. Connecticut was the state university and I always wanted to go there. It was a good school then, it's a better school now.

Reaction Score
Just so the math is clear…together, the teams in the PAC are worth about $200M. Apart, 8 of them are worth $325M (assuming 4 to Big12 and 4 to Big10), so by extrapolation WSU and OSU are worth -$125M?

THIS. I written a few posts on this. It makes no sense that these schools are somehow 50% more valuable in the B12.

Reaction Score
Maybe the raiding of the PAC-12 is all the Big XII ever wanted.

We are a state flagship university that just won a national championship and have proven athletic and academic success. Not to mention we open up to a new market.

If we haven’t been offered yet, then what are they waiting for? It’s obvious They are waiting to see what they can get from the PAC-12. I feel like we have been a pawn in this and might be left on the doorstep.

Not trying to be pessimistic but we saw what happened in previous rounds of CR and I don’t see how this round is any different. Worse for us is during the last round of CR at least we had more recent success in the sport that matters most to everyone involved in CR.

Reaction Score
Doesn't Fox already have us for like $4 million a year? Why would they want to move us to the Big 12 to pay us $32 million a year?

why did espn kill the big east? Why does everyone think we are being offered 30 million? If I am negotiating I offer 15 and wait for a counter. With enough Px content, think 60 to 80 teams, why do any of the large media organizations need the big east.

It‘s clear no one needs the PAC. What is so important about 10 small catholic universities? There is the potential to save 60 million for someone. Offset this by 30 million and you are up 30 just on basic math, without considering the value of twice yearly UConn vs Kansas.

Reaction Score
30 years ago UConn was a cow town that no serious students looked at from across the country, and anyone with options in state never even thought about unless someone convinced them to apply to as a guaranteed safety school acceptance. We can thank the basketball programs for changing all of that.
OK, but 10 years ago they had 3 national championships.

If you're going back 30yrs, Ohio State used to be Open admissions. Their status now trends with what's going on nationally. Is UC San Diego for instance has had the same trajectory.

But apparently you guys believe huge deficits and super high tuition can go on indefinitely.

Reaction Score
Anyone know if our President or AD accompanied our National Champions to Nice?

Reaction Score
How about this crazy take? What if we’re already in but have been asked to keep it under wraps until the Arizona thing plays itself out as part of the B 12s master plan?

Highly improbable I admit but could explain a few things. Executive session in June, Moras ‘i know more than the people on Twitter’ comments, tweets from football recruits, and the absolute radio silence from all who matter in the admin.

Daring to dream a bit here while recognizing I need a life !! :)

Reaction Score
How about this crazy take? What if we’re already in but have been asked to keep it under wraps until the Arizona thing plays itself out as part of the B 12s master plan?

Highly improbable I admit but could explain a few things. Executive session in June, Moras ‘i know more than the people on Twitter’ comments, tweets from football recruits, and the absolute radio silence from all who matter in the admin.

We may be in unless Oregon decides to jump. It sounds like they haven't given B12 a definitive NO yet. But I don't buy the idea that we're keeping an invite under wraps.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
We may be in unless Oregon decides to jump. It sounds like they haven't given B12 a definitive NO yet. But I don't buy the idea that we're keeping an invite under wraps.
The thing with Oregon, Brett Yormark said we want schools that want to be here -- i don't think he takes schools that are likely to bolt for the Big 10, so i think they're out.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I have gone on record as saying this is the most likely scenario.

Reaction Score
One comment not really mentioned is that BY also said they want programs that want to be part of the Big 12 growth.

I don’t think that describes ASU, Utah, or Oregon/Washington.

Agreed but in reality that comment has nothing to do with wanting to be part of the big 12 but whether it’s that schools best option or not. Oregon and Washington could have big 10 invites coming. ASU and Utah won’t

Reaction Score
I have gone on record as saying this is the most likely scenario.
I think you’re one of the more bullish/optimistic people based on posts.

I want to believe, want to see something. But my reality senses are kicking in.

Reaction Score
The thing with Oregon, Brett Yormark said we want schools that want to be here -- i don't think he takes schools that are likely to bolt for the Big 10, so i think they're out.
Ultimately I agree that O and W will not be in B12. I am just hoping that they still have their invitations and that is what is holding UConn back from joining.

If O and W have already told B12 no, then what? That would mean B12 is probably looking at other PAC leftovers besides the AZ schools. Makes no sense considering what Yormark has said, but not good atall

Reaction Score

Don’t forget Hurley’s extension! Paying him P5 money!!!!!

Reaction Score
Agreed but in reality that comment has nothing to do with wanting to be part of the big 12 but whether it’s that schools best option or not. Oregon and Washington could have big 10 invites coming. ASU and Utah won’t
I think he meant he wants schools that are there to help the Big 12 grow and challenge the big boys. Long term. Not just until next media deal.

What makes Big12 strong right now is no school is a threat to be plucked by another conference.

You start pulling in members that are clear targets for Big, and are reaching out to Big you’re weakening the conference. He wants schools that want Big 12. That’s what he said.

Now, will the Presidents live by that? Will they live by his goal of expanding markets? Going East? That’s all up for debate. If they go all in on AZ and Utah, not so much.

Listening strictly to BY, there really is one school that checks almost all his boxes. That’s my hope.

The concern I would have with UConn in Big 12 is whether we’d bolt to ACC if given opportunity. But Big 12 GOR sort of negates that.

Reaction Score
The concern I would have with UConn in Big 12 is whether we’d bolt to ACC if given opportunity. But Big 12 GOR sort of negates that.
Big XII Gor is shorter. If FSU really has no way out of the GOR, I'd look at the Big XII to be the next place for targeting in about 5 years.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think you’re one of the more bullish/optimistic people based on posts.

I want to believe, want to see something. But my reality senses are kicking in.
Totally understand your perspective. We’ve been down this path before and a coping mechanism to avoid being devastated if events repeat is to be cautious or downright negative.

I understand that the outcome is not 100% certain.

I just prefer believing in UConn’s value which I’m sure you do. It’s not that much of a stretch that an important outside entity finally has become convinced as well.

So rather than torture myself throughout the process I choose to be optimistic. But I also sincerely believe my viewpoint. If the outcome doesn’t pan out as I predict I know that if I take your position it won’t succeed in making me feel any better at that point in time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Big XII Gor is shorter. If FSU really has no way out of the GOR, I'd look at the Big XII to be the next place for targeting in about 5 years.
The ACC pays more over the life of the GOR. They aren't leaving for the Big XII.

Reaction Score
I’d have to think because expanding into the New England market will make them more money on their next negotiation. By then Yormack probably envisions the UConn/Cuse/BC scenario taking place and adding tons of value as a collective to their conference. Can Fox stop the B12 from adding someone they want?

When the ACC GOR expires in 13 years, Yormark will 69 and may be retired, though Delaney stayed until 72.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom