Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 566 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
1) East Hartford/Hartford and Storrs are not making many must-visit lists

2) I visit opposing schools to support UCONN.

3) Most of the Big 12 schools have relatively easy flights from Bradley, NYC, and/Logan
That's one of the things that's so funny about his post. UConn plays it's football in East Hartford.

Reaction Score
1. Have you been to these places?
2. That's great
3. I'm talking about Connecticut residents. Don't tell me the trip to JFK or Lohan is something someone living in, say, Glastonbury, doesn't mind.
I've been to some of them? What's wrong with them? How is East Hartford better than them? If you're whining about a bit of a drive to the airport or having a quick changeover you're a wuss. It's college football, people go on vacation for college football. Fly around the country or pack up the RV and live in it for the week.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Access to the hardware is not the point, it's the platform. Apps must be downloaded, updated, often using clunky and confusing embedded UIs made by the TV manufacturer. You have to input your email and a password to get access to the content. It's not as simple as plug in the TV, hit channel 849 and get ESPN. That's before you consider the payment, subscription, sufficient internet connection, etc.

Until it's as simple as that, it won't have the same broad appeal. For the mass-market consumer, one or more of the above things are a barrier to adopting streaming as an acceptable primary platform.

I'm sure for some people it's a barrier, but it's like any other technology: the vast majority will adjust. I agree that some of these companies would be wise to offer a service that has a technician come to your house and download the apps, help with login issues, etc. That being said, it's much easier and cheaper dealing with a streaming subscription than cable, where you have to lock into a contract and often pay hundreds of dollars a month.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Streaming, as constituted, is not the future. They have to integrate the platforms into the typical channel surfing model. Having to download/update apps, plug in USB devices, etc is too much work and/or too confusing for it to be adopted en masse. This is before we consider the current web of a la carte streaming subscriptions people pay for across numerous platforms.
They are trying. That's why you can get rental movies on Amazon, and HBO, and Paramount+ and Starz, and BBC.

Apple has a similar vision. They have no interest in being Netflix. They want to be your media hub, with their content and everybody else's content. Note they both also sell devices on which to stream.

This is one of the glitches in the Apple buys ESPN suggestion. Apple doesn't want to own ESPN, Apple wants you to be able to watch it on Apple TV (Amazon also wants this), but whoever owns it also has to have it on Cable, including Comcast.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
1. Have you been to these places?
2. That's great
3. I'm talking about Connecticut residents. Don't tell me the trip to JFK or Lohan is something someone living in, say, Glastonbury, doesn't mind.
1. I have been to Orlando, Houston, Ames, DFW, and Lubbock. Hope to visit the rest to see UCONN play!
2. Indeed
3. It’s a great big world-don’t be afraid to drive for an hour to explore it

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
It has gotten a lot better. Apple stuff is good too.
John is right. Last year Amazon's streams got better and better. I also have fiber optic 500mbps internet now, so I expect to get the best quality stream they can put out.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Nah I’m a channel flipper. I want to bounce around. It’s a pain in the tucchus to do that on these streamers. You switch away for 30 seconds and then gotta wait 30 for system to re log you in. Awful.
In 30 seconds, I've learned hiw to spell jadrool and tucchus.
Oh, the places you'll go! Thanks, Boneyard.

Reaction Score
1. I have been to Orlando, Houston, Ames, DFW, and Lubbock. Hope to visit the rest to see UCONN play!
2. Indeed
3. It’s a great big world-don’t be afraid to drive for an hour to explore it
I'm the one who started off by saying I've been to a lot of these places; I've been all over the world; that's precisely why I'm telling you that some of these locales are jaw-droppingly desolate.

Reaction Score
I've been to some of them? What's wrong with them? How is East Hartford better than them? If you're whining about a bit of a drive to the airport or having a quick changeover you're a wuss. It's college football, people go on vacation for college football. Fly around the country or pack up the RV and live in it for the week.
If you're really selling that UConn football fans are traveling more than a handful to desolate places like Stillwater, Ames and Manhattan, dry towns like Provo, I'm not buying. You'll be there w/ only a handful. As I said, I've been to these places. They are BAD. & the original comparison was to Storrs. Yes, Storrs believe it or not is not the eyesore that Stillwater is.

Reaction Score
If you're really selling that UConn football fans are traveling more than a handful to desolate places like Stillwater, Ames and Manhattan, dry towns like Provo, I'm not buying. You'll be there w/ only a handful. As I said, I've been to these places. They are BAD. & the original comparison was to Storrs. Yes, Storrs believe it or not is not the eyesore that Stillwater is.
"How can a town be that bad..." Does a Google street view on Stillwater "OK, maybe he has a point".

UConn has a pathetic support around it in terms of non-campus infrastructure but at least you can be elsewhere in 20 minutes.

Reaction Score
Flying out of Providence is good too for the folks in se CT. KC isn't bad at all plus an extra hour to Lawrence... DFW, Cinci, all good

Reaction Score
I’ve been to Lawrence, Kansas. It’s a cool little town, hung out on Massachusetts avenue. Their football stadium is nothing special but maybe it’s been updated since I’ve been there?

Kansas City is a fun city, would go back to eat more BBQ and hit up the power and light district.

Lubbock is out there, used to be a fully dry country. Believe that’s changed.

Looks like you can get direct flights to Provo/Salt Lake now through Bradley.

Jumping the gun, I know.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I’ve spent a few weeks in SLC for work. Excellent place for outdoor activities - hiking trails are everywhere around the edges of the valley. Antelope Island on the great salt lake where you can get close (for me a little too close) to buffalo. There are plenty of bars and good Mexican food around. The restaurant bars don’t sell alcohol unless you buy a food item and the beer only spots limit alcohol content to 4% (on tap only I think). They do have a crappy inversion effect where pollution sometimes collects in the valley. But overall, incredible views and a fun place to visit.

Reaction Score
Utah St’s application to the PAC is in:

Attachments

• 9AAB7622-C62A-4A7C-9DDC-D2FD9CC74601.jpeg
    9AAB7622-C62A-4A7C-9DDC-D2FD9CC74601.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 189
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Barry Tramel:

“By the end of the week, that number likely will be 14 or 16, depending on if and how many other Pac-12 schools jump. If not, Connecticut seems the prime candidate to get the Big 12 to 14 members.”
Heather Dinich from ESPN said the same thing.

She said "if the @pac12 stays together, Big 12 sources indicate UConn would be a strong candidate for that 14th team."

What I find interesting about this is that she is citing Big 12 sources. This contradicts the narrative that Yormark was having a hard time selling UConn to the Presidents.

That said, both Tramel and Dinich say that we are behind the PAC schools.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
So this seems to be it. Our destiny boils down to how good these TV contract meetings go this week. But we’re definitively behind the PAC schools in priority.

Reaction Score
Heather Dinich from ESPN said the same thing.

She said "if the @pac12 stays together, Big 12 sources indicate UConn would be a strong candidate for that 14th team."

What I find interesting about this is that she is citing Big 12 sources. This contradicts the narrative that Yormark was having a hard time selling UConn to the Presidents.

That said, both Tramel and Dinich say that we are behind the PAC schools.

I just don't see why the Big XII would want Utah after having BYU.

Maybe we will get into a situation where Arizona won't leave without ASU and Utah and the Big XII refuses to be strong-armed so the spot falls into our lap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom