Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 493 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I don't think any conference will take three or more from the same conference at the same bite of the apple - unless the ACC has a 5 or more simultaneous breakaway/implosion which would basically be a planned mutiny.
If the teams apply they will consider them. It would be malpractice not to. I think we have a shot with one or three PAC teams expressing interest if the Big12 prioritize long term viability and the bargaining power it would give the conference. Whether it plays out that way is anybodies guess.

Reaction Score
Realignment Board not showing up for me. Anyone else having that problem?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if this video was posted, but this is the Brett Yormark interview from the Big 12 media days.

At 21:00 he talks about expansion.

At 23:00 our friend Berry Tramel asks him about adding a G5 school which would not necessarily upgrade the media contract (Tramel's words). Yormark doesn't address the money part.

First, so this is what this nozzle Tramel looks like:
IMG_9582.jpeg

Yormark makes clear that he's looking for someone who brings value to the conference. The P5/G5 label doesn't particularly matter to him.

Reaction Score
I just think we are not a good geographic fit for the Big 12. We are not in a good recruiting area and our football program does not draw any fan interest from any team in the Big 12. We put ourselves in this position by leaving the AAC. We needed to do what Cincinnati did, stay the course, win the conference and make the playoffs. They had much better management than we did. We didn’t need the Big East to win another title in hoops.

Reaction Score
I just think we are not a good geographic fit for the Big 12. We are not in a good recruiting area and our football program does not draw any fan interest from any team in the Big 12. We put ourselves in this position by leaving the AAC. We needed to do what Cincinnati did, stay the course, win the conference and make the playoffs. They had much better management than we did. We didn’t need the Big East to win another title in hoops.
So many incorrect statements, I don’t know where to begin.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
I’m not sure that is correct. Add in the New England prep school kids that go on to P5 schools to play football, the geography produces a rich recruiting base.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There’s plenty of talent in the northeast from VA/DC through the prep leagues in New England. Northeastern schools also have access to FL and GA with frequent success. The issue will always be having a good head coach and adequate resources. If you have that, you can compete.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure that is correct. Add in the New England prep school kids that go on to P5 schools to play football, the geography produces a rich recruiting base.
New England is not even close to a rich recruiting area. I’m talking football, not basketball or hockey or baseball or lacrosse.

Reaction Score
Geographic fit? UConn is the perfect fit for what the B12 is trying to do. Move in on NYC. I think it was 2018 or 2019 when my wife and I drove down to the Met to see an opera one night. We had dinner in the back portion of The Atlantic Grille. Our table had a view into the bar. On the TV that evening? UConn basketball. That sixth borough thing is real.

Regarding football, what you are really saying is that even if UConn is in a legit P5 that Jim Mora and staff cannot recruit against the rest of the league. Hell, all he has to do is tell the recruits that preseason temps are in the low 90's not the mid 100's. It will feel like they are supercharged.

Reaction Score
Geographic fit? UConn is the perfect fit for what the B12 is trying to do. Move in on NYC. I think it was 2018 or 2019 when my wife and I drove down to the Met to see an opera one night. We had dinner in the back portion of The Atlantic Grille. Our table had a view into the bar. On the TV that evening? UConn basketball. That sixth borough thing is real.

Regarding football, what you are really saying is that even if UConn is in a legit P5 that Jim Mora and staff cannot recruit against the rest of the league. Hell, all he has to do is tell the recruits that preseason temps are in the low 90's not the mid 100's. It will feel like they are supercharged.
Why is a geographic fit a consideration?

GG

Reaction Score
Word still is Colorado and UConn. Should be an interesting next two weeks.
If AZ decides to join, does that mean no UCONN (assumes CO jumps ship)?

Reaction Score
The last part of this must be satire because it's hard to imagine a more destructive thought process for our AD.

Reactions: Orc
Reaction Score
New England is not even close to a rich recruiting area. I’m talking football, not basketball or hockey or baseball or lacrosse.

Are you stuck in the 90's PP?

The transfer portal and NIL are game changers, the talent is getting spread around far more these days. Players are no longer content to sit quietly on the end of the bench waiting their turn and the best FCS players are now being poached to the upper ranks, the FCS is now a farm system for the FBS. Our starting QB this year might be a transfer from Maine and UConn recruited two players from Delaware who are expected to be significant contributors. The days of Joe Flacco spending 4 years in the FCS are over.

and do the northeastern prep leagues not count as northeast recruits?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have you not been paying attention to the prep school scene in CT and New England. ALL OF THE BIG BOYS are coming here to pluck players. Puglisi going to GA is originally from MA playing for Wholley at Avon Old Farms. The there is no talent in the NE is a complete myth.

Reaction Score
Have you not been paying attention to the prep school scene in CT and New England. ALL OF THE BIG BOYS are coming here to pluck players. Puglisi going to GA is originally from MA playing for Wholley at Avon Old Farms. The there is no talent in the NE is a complete myth.
Gamecocks top QB recruit is also from Sturbridge and goes to Loomis. Dad is coach for Yale.

Northeast isn’t Tx or OH, but there was an article recently talking about recruiting and how the talent has picked up significantly. Not sure where I read it. Might have been article posted here.

A strong CT program back on same level as other P5 teams would be a boom…. People forget how quickly UConn became competitive in BE. Of course nobody forgot how quickly that fell apart after losing BCS/P5 status and then going through three bad hires

Reaction Score
I have nothing to base this on- but my guess is that after this P12/B12 tug of war settles there will be two to three years of quiet and then we will get a grand announcement that a great bargain has been agreed upon with the ACC GOR terminating early freeing up four to six schools to leave and then the remnants merge with the PAC to make a two coast conf of about 14 to 16 schools. The SEC and B1G grow to perhaps 20 and the B12 and new PAC-ACC cement themselves as second tier. Not that it won’t be clear before this moment- but whatever quaking and shaking will be over and a new peace will settle in that will last perhaps a decade before things change again.
If the ACC drops their GOR there will be a scramble after the SEC and B1G that their teams. I would think that Pitt would be heavily focused on Big12 to renew the rivalry w/ WV and have Cincy and UConn(?) in the league.

For that matter, the Big 12 having an east conference of UConn, Cincy, Pitt, Syracuse, Va, Tech, Louisville, UCF as a start would be very appealing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the ACC drops their GOR there will be a scramble after the SEC and B1G that their teams. I would think that Pitt would be heavily focused on Big12 to renew the rivalry w/ WV and have Cincy and UConn(?) in the league.

For that matter, the Big 12 having an east conference of UConn, Cincy, Pitt, Syracuse, Va, Tech, Louisville, UCF as a start would be very appealing.
Seeing Cuse and BC land in the refuse gutter would be so satisfying.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
New England has gotten much stronger for football thanks to the prep schools. It's not a massive amount of talent but as others have said the big boys now have it on their radar for recruits.
There's a handful of 4-star and a bunch of 3-stars coming out of NE prep schools and if UConn can get 3-5 of those players, it's good talent and minimal travel to find it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom