Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 476 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

DGB

Reaction Score
yeah it's such an outlandish thing to think we'll magically sell out UCF, Cincinatti and Houston when we were in the same conference as them a few years ago and didn't come close to selling out those games. Like, we have the data that shows how many people showed up. The last time we played Cinci at home we drew 20,000. 23,000 for UCF. 12,000 for Houston.

if we suck, it won't matter if we're playing Iowa State or Texas Tech. We still won't draw a crowd.
UConn would draw a crowd for its first season in the Big 12 regardless of record. You bring up Cinci, UCF, and Houston here...and I suppose that's fair...but those would now be the least interesting conference foes UConn would be playing, as opposed to the most interesting as they were in the AAC.

In season one with the Big 12 UConn would sell out for Texas Tech, TCU, WVU, Ok St., KSU, Baylor, ISU, and probably KU. BYU, Cinci, Houston, and UCF would also do well in year one. After year one, if UConn isn't competitive the novelty will wear off and interest will wane. But in this type of football conference as soon as things turn around the fans would come back immediately.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He's taking an ends justify the means approach. Yormack wants a footprint in the Northeast and UConn is that conduit. So, you look at what UConn brings to the table and you emphasize those strong points at selection criteria.
It sure looks like it. Pretty much the same way that you can tell the likely target of a coaching job listing by looking at the published criteria for the job.

Reaction Score
It sure looks like it. Pretty much the same way that you can tell the likely target of a coaching job listing by looking at the published criteria for the job.
Ha ha. Not just coaching jobs. How many postings have you seen where you work where the posting practically says "Must be named Dan Hurley."

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
I doubt the entire B12 conference combined has more titles than CT does all by itself. And B12 has Kansas and Baylor who each have multiples.
Pretty sure that’s right. Off the top of my head:
Kansas (4) + Baylor (4) + Oklahoma St. (2) + Cincinnati (2) + Texas Tech (1) + departing Texas (1) = 14
And 14 is not as many as 16.

Reaction Score
Not CR related but key nonetheless. Cost of going from FCS to FBS, about to skyrocket. Think they're about to close rank on FBS membership.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure that’s right. Off the top of my head:
Kansas (4) + Baylor (4) + Oklahoma St. (2) + Cincinnati (2) + Texas Tech (1) + departing Texas (1) = 14
And 14 is not as many as 16.
This does not look right with all due respect to the top of your head. Surely the B12 has more natty's combined than UConn. No??? Has the top of your head been following B12 non-football championships that closely? If so, maybe a better question is why, but I will not ask that at this time?

Reaction Score
Another data point about the likelihood of a good PAC media rights agreement. Exec summary. Not very good.

CBS guy quote:

‘We’re gonna see a lot of movement since the Pac-12 media rights deal is sort of all over the place — we’ve seen Apple kinda go away, we’ve seen the CW kind of go. The Pac-12’s a big-time mess right now, due in large part to Larry Scott, the former commissioner who really sent this whole thing into a spiral 10 years ago.’

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Another data point about the likelihood of a good PAC media rights agreement. Exec summary. Not very good.

CBS guy quote:

‘We’re gonna see a lot of movement since the Pac-12 media rights deal is sort of all over the place — we’ve seen Apple kinda go away, we’ve seen the CW kind of go. The Pac-12’s a big-time mess right now, due in large part to Larry Scott, the former commissioner who really sent this whole thing into a spiral 10 years ago.’

I do worry about the stability of the Big 12 were we to go there if the Pac 12 recovers its footing, financially and prestige wise

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This does not look right with all due respect to the top of your head. Surely the B12 has more natty's combined than UConn. No??? Has the top of your head been following B12 non-football championships that closely? If so, maybe a better question is why, but I will not ask that at this time?
This was in response to a couple posts that were men's and women's basketball specific.

Reaction Score
Just slightly off

championships won as members of the Big 12 (since 1996-97) in conference-sponsored sports are included.

Updated through June 12, 2023

TEAM CHAMPIONS (81)

Reaction Score
Also possible is that the Big 12 takes 3 of the 4 corner schools and UConn. I don't see why the Big 12 would want 2 Arizona schools. I think UConn is a better add than the second Arizona school.
UA and ASU are seperate markets. Tucson and Phoenix. Also, the rivalry is great and keeping them together adds value.

But we should be ahead of Utah by any metric.

Reaction Score
Just slightly off

championships won as members of the Big 12 (since 1996-97) in conference-sponsored sports are included.

Updated through June 12, 2023

TEAM CHAMPIONS (81)
In fairness, it isn't THAT far off. First, he did mention that the post was a response to someone that posted about men's/women's basketball.

Also, you should really take out 59 of the 81 team championships referenced above which were won by Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado or Texas A&M (add 5 back if Colorado rejoins). I guess you add 2 back for Cinci (from 1961 and 1962, before the 1996-97 referenced above), but not UCF's claimed title. So that's 24 won by next year's Big 12 roster.

UConn has, by itself, won 23 (basketball, field hockey, soccer). We'll catch the Big 12 field within five years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom