Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 389 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
No, but since USC and UCLA will already be members, the addition of Stanford and Cal absolutely locks down Cali for the B1G.
Sure it would, but do you need to? If Cal and Stanford don’t bring California to anybody, why should the Big10 take them.

If ND wants Stanford as a condition to join the Big10, then I can see it. ND brings in a bunch of money and wound pay for both of them (and then some), but as a standalone, how much would they cost?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sure it would, but do you need to? If Cal and Stanford don’t bring California to anybody, why should the Big10 take them.

If ND wants Stanford as a condition to join the Big10, then I can see it. ND brings in a bunch of money and wound pay for both of them (and then some), but as a standalone, how much would they cost?

USC and UCLA don't do much to move the needle in Northern California. If it requires taking 4 California schools to lock down California, you do it. Getting Stanford and Cal is way smarter than taking Oregon and Washington. As has been mentioned on these boards several times, the Bay area is one of the largest concentrations of B1G grads in the country. Taking two schools there allows for football to go out there one time a year allowing B1G alums to see their school play either Stanford or Cal and allows the fans at home to schedule a destination road game once a year.

Strategically is weakens Oregon and Washington by further isolating those two schools geographically from other competitors.

Reaction Score

Stamford is the first or second best school in the country and the number 1 school playing major sports
Cal is the Number 1 rated Public Institution in the country . Those are factors for the B1G. Both have large research income .
Washington is 10
Oregon is around 65 which. Is far below UConn. The Reputation isn’t the greatest either
They are somehow AAU
so the B1G probably overlook their weaknesses. The other thing is if the B1G doesn’t take them someone else will
I think ND may works out a deal more closely alighting them with the B1G if the moneys right but stay Defacto Indy.
I originally though they had to move but the B1G media partners might save them.

Reaction Score
With the two California teams in the B1G, I wonder if one of the two will always be away while the other is home and vice versa so that the B1G will always have a late night game for the west coast audience, while giving the other a game in one of the eastern time slots.

Reaction Score
USC and UCLA don't do much to move the needle in Northern California. If it requires taking 4 California schools to lock down California, you do it. Getting Stanford and Cal is way smarter than taking Oregon and Washington. As has been mentioned on these boards several times, the Bay area is one of the largest concentrations of B1G grads in the country. Taking two schools there allows for football to go out there one time a year allowing B1G alums to see their school play either Stanford or Cal and allows the fans at home to schedule a destination road game once a year.

Strategically is weakens Oregon and Washington by further isolating those two schools geographically from other competitors.
Agreed... The Big10 strategy is to be like the NFL - all time zones and Kevin Warren wants to make sure travel is not a huge burden for the schools and students so having a western pod of 6 teams makes total sense. Look at the markets they would add: LA, San Fran, Seattle and Portland. Talk about a power conference with MAJOR markets - they make the SEC look puny in terms of markets and reach. Over time, they'll be the equivalent/perhaps surpass the SEC on the field. And, from an academics/research standpoint they would continue to pile on more powerhouses.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I disagree with Frank here. The Big 12 at least has two media partners open to negotiation. The Pac just took a kick to the groin.
You’ll forgive me if I have a healthy skepticism about the ESPN’s disinterested generosity. Look for this offer to be low with the idea that the big 12 will give up future speculative value for immediate certainty.

On the other hand, it’s also possible that ESPN has decided to make the big 12 the winner of the game of survivor that’s going on between eight and the Pac 12 much like it did when it chose the ACC over the Big East when those two conferences were looking to position themselves.

Reaction Score
You’ll forgive me if I have a healthy skepticism about the ESPN’s disinterested generosity. Look for this offer to be low with the idea that the big 12 will give up future speculative value for immediate certainty.

On the other hand, it’s also possible that ESPN has decided to make the big 12 the winner of the game of survivor that’s going on between eight and the Pac 12 much like it did when it chose the ACC over the Big East when those two conferences were looking to position themselves.
The B1G leadership has had the right idea all along. Short term deals they can renegotiate frequently and capitalize on the rising cost of live sporting events. All other commissioners we're lost on this.

Reaction Score
Stamford is the first or second best school in the country and the number 1 school playing major sports
Cal is the Number 1 rated Public Institution in the country . Those are factors for the B1G. Both have large research income .
Washington is 10
Oregon is around 65 which. Is far below UConn. The Reputation isn’t the greatest either
They are somehow AAU
so the B1G probably overlook their weaknesses. The other thing is if the B1G doesn’t take them someone else will
I think ND may works out a deal more closely alighting them with the B1G if the moneys right but stay Defacto Indy.
I originally though they had to move but the B1G media partners might save them.
Agreed. NBC will cross market both ND and the Big Ten. It even mentioned "a perfect one/two punch".

NBC will up their ND payments to the reported $60 million. NBC will get ND to play Big Ten teams (maybe a scheduling deal of 3 a year?)

ND will stay independent, get a $38 million dollar a year TV raise and will not violate any ACC contracts, have to pay an exit fee or deal with the GOR (and still receive around $15-18 million a year or so from the ACC/ESPN partial membership and full membership share of ACC Network profits).

A win for everyone involved and a great job by Jack Swarbrick if it happens.

Reaction Score
36-40 programs will breakaway. 18-20 south (SEC) and 18-20 north (BiG). Professional franchises each within a conference. That will be college football and, eventually college basketball. NFL and NBA light. Holds no appeal to me, but evidently the brain trusts see a way to make a lot more money.

Honestly, I have no direct insight into this, but I have to believe this is where its all going.

Reaction Score
Anything good here?

Gavitt Games in negotiation for 2023. Why one year? Who knows. My speculation: May be signaling that this is ending once new contract for B10 starts or waiting to accommodate new expansion adds once they join.

Also brings up Gonzaga as an expansion candidate to the BE. Says it isn't imminent or anything but just brings it up as something to consider.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
With the two California teams in the B1G, I wonder if one of the two will always be away while the other is home and vice versa so that the B1G will always have a late night game for the west coast audience, while giving the other a game in one of the eastern time slots.

Now imagine having four Cali schools in Pacific Time Zone. Two games out there each weekend. And don't discount FOX having a much larger California presence than ESPN, NBC, CBS, etc.

Reaction Score

I think ESPN is playing both sides against the middle negotiating with both the B12 & PAC at the same time.

Whichever conference is willing to take the lowball offer first will likely be the survivor and ESPN can move the schools around as they want between them once the winner is crowned

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Clearly the B1G and Big East are going to merge for Olympic Sports purposes. That would put the B1G far above the SEC. Winning.
Well- I do think that in the decade to come these media companies will be looking to make these conferences have a footprint that hits all four corners of the map so that they can legitimize paying oodles and avoid having what is deemed a regional product. It’s remote at this moment, but I could see each of the power 2, 3 or 4 conf adopting a G5 to have a combined media deal. A Big brother - little brother media package. More content and more opportunities to help Olympics. I don’t see the power conf just handing money out and opening doors- instead I just see it as combo package to fill in gaps. Right now the BiG could literally toss CUSA or the FunBelt some nickels and say hey- we are putting you on BTN as gap filler and also we’ll do some BB stuff together.

What happens to BTN if the FunBelt is added? Seems like BTN adds a lot of southern eye balls.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Clearly the B1G and Big East are going to merge for Olympic Sports purposes. That would put the B1G far above the SEC. Winning.

That is a really interesting idea. Maybe not merge, but scheduling contracts and series (Big10/Big East Challenge). Puts the Big10 in the NE and a stronger position in the Mid-Atlantic areas.

Reaction Score
36-40 programs will breakaway. 18-20 south (SEC) and 18-20 north (BiG). Professional franchises each within a conference. That will be college football and, eventually college basketball. NFL and NBA light. Holds no appeal to me, but evidently the brain trusts see a way to make a lot more money.

Honestly, I have no direct insight into this, but I have to believe this is where its all going.
I hear what you’re saying and I don’t find it appealing either.
But the NFL needs more than 40 teams for a “minor league” develop its talent pool. And if non B1G-SEC universities are going to keep losing money in football then why would they invest more into it? Especially considering ongoing risk of concussion lawsuits.
The NBA doesn’t really on a farm league. More and more they draft high school or foreign players. How many college grads have been first round draft picks in the last five years?
I with you. I really don’t like where this is going.

Reaction Score
Well- I do think that in the decade to come these media companies will be looking to make these conferences have a footprint that hits all four corners of the map so that they can legitimize paying oodles and avoid having what is deemed a regional product. It’s remote at this moment, but I could see each of the power 2, 3 or 4 conf adopting a G5 to have a combined media deal. A Big brother - little brother media package. More content and more opportunities to help Olympics. I don’t see the power conf just handing money out and opening doors- instead I just see it as combo package to fill in gaps. Right now the BiG could literally toss CUSA or the FunBelt some nickels and say hey- we are putting you on BTN as gap filler and also we’ll do some BB stuff together.

What happens to BTN if the FunBelt is added? Seems like BTN adds a lot of southern eye balls.
College sports are moving to conference networks and streaming. When the cable bundle ends or becomes less relevant in the future, conference networks will be looking for content and brands to attract customers to buy their channel. It would not surprise me if the BTN and SECN look towards other conference for content.

In the short term, ironically, it would make the most sense for the ACCN to partner with the Big East for content as it would get the ACCN with home state pricing in Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, DC/Maryland, Philadelphia, Chicago, Ohio, Milwaukee,...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom