Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 382 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Info reported like this example from Slap the Sign...a Notre Dame Site

It all goes back to the ACC deal that Notre Dame has. The deal states that Notre Dame competes in the ACC for most of their sports, like basketball and baseball, while football gets to remain independent. The caveat is that they have to play five ACC teams annually in football. This deal goes through 2036, and during that time period, the only conference Notre Dame can join is the ACC.

or the Sporting News

The Irish are hitched to a pair of television contracts. The deal with NBC runs through 2025 and draws approximately $15 million per year. ESPN's contract with the ACC runs through 2036. That grant of rights deal includes language that if Irish choose to join a conference in football before 2036, they are contractually obligated to join the ACC.

Reaction Score
The Notre Dame contract with NBC averages $15 million per year, but they actually earning $22 million at this point because of the backloaded nature of the deal.

Reaction Score
I mean if anything that demonstrates that the remaining Big XII (post-UT and OU) were not nearly so confident on their remaining value vs. the Pac-12 (admittedly with USC & UCLA); who's TV deal at the time had been criticized for years.. and certainly not as confident as they've been trying to portray.

Both conferences lost their top two media properties. One filled in two open spots with four teams who's top end value (at least measured by conference media deals was $7/season in about 10 years. The other's move is TBD but has the highest valued properties... and is of course more unstable as it has the only properties valued by the top tier conferences.

Reaction Score
1...there is no termination clause in the GOR...a straight assignment of rights for a defined period.

2...No one has the ancillary ACC contract with Notre Dame that has the provision that the Irish will join the ACC if they join a conference before 2037 and that they will play 5 games per year with ACC teams (widely reported..but the document is not in the public realm).

Folks have tried to obtain the contract and ESPN contract (two law firms in Florida requested from FSU under FOIA to no avail).
1- I wasn't referring to the termination clause in the GOR but rather their conference agreement.

2- exactly my point, so why do you keep carrying on like you know what's in it?

Reaction Score
1- I wasn't referring to the termination clause in the GOR but rather their conference agreement.

See the thread on the GOR primer. We do know what’s in the Bug XII by-laws to address this situation. It is likely that the ACC has similar language.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
I always wondered why 5 games. Finally realized it prevents ND from having a full schedule with someone else. So if they don’t get the 75+ million a year and decide they have to leave to keep up financially they don’t even need to get out of thr GOR.

Since most every one of their rivals will be in B1G or ACC (outside Navy) soon why not sign a scheduling deal with B1G for other 7 games for football and get a second bigger payout until 20whatever. Everything else sport team wise stays the same. This way they keep all the money and can make the move gradually.

I know they want to stay Indy but if the tea leaves read that they have to move on then seems like the best of both worlds.

Reaction Score

I never, ever, go on about what is in the ESPN contract...you may have a problem differentiating between GOR, attendant Notre Dame ACC contact versus the ESPN contract...

Reaction Score
I never, ever, go on about what is in the ESPN contract...you may have a problem differentiating between GOR, attendant Notre Dame ACC contact versus the ESPN contract...
No, I don't have a problem differentiating the different aspects but I think some people certainly conflate them, thanks.

Reaction Score
I always wondered why 5 games. Finally realized it prevents ND from having a full schedule with someone else. So if they don’t get the 75+ million a year and decide they have to leave to keep up financially they don’t even need to get out of thr GOR.

Since most every one of their rivals will be in B1G or ACC (outside Navy) soon why not sign a scheduling deal with B1G for other 7 games for football and get a second bigger payout until 20whatever. Everything else sport team wise stays the same. This way they keep all the money and can make the move gradually.

I know they want to stay Indy but if the tea leaves read that they have to move on then seems like the best of both worlds
5 games a year was merely a compromise in 2012. ND wanted only 3 games, the ACC wanted full membership and 8 games.

Reaction Score
No, I don't have a problem differentiating the different aspects but I think some people certainly conflate them, thanks.

Exactly what I thought from your post (you might have conflated)...cause you can't find a post from me that purports to have an idea about the ESPN contract clauses may be).

I have as much knowledge as any re the ACC GOR (which, for all of us, may be dated since we have the GOR but it could have been amended in the 2016 extension...(but I doubt that)...the Notre Dame contract (but only from what has been reported about it)...and none whatsoever re the ESPN contract.

And nobody, on any board, has done more than noodle about the ACC/ESPN contract.

Reaction Score
Exactly what I thought from your post (you might have conflated)...cause you can't find a post from me that purports to have an idea about the ESPN contract clauses may be).

I have as much knowledge as any re the ACC GOR (which, for all of us, may be dated since we have the GOR but it could have been amended in the 2016 extension...(but I doubt that)...the Notre Dame contract (but only from what has been reported about it)...and none whatsoever re the ESPN contract.

And nobody, on any board, has done more than noodle about the ACC/ESPN contract.
Ok, can you lay out here in one post what you know about the various contracts and provide links so we can get as knowledge as you? Thx.

Reaction Score
But...re the ACC-ESPN contract.....We can guess that the ESPN contract has language about "look ins" (widely reported)....language giving ESPN the right to renegotiate terms if the conference loses teams (makes sense for a billion dollar contract).

There are many fans that believe that Fox and ESPN are working together to create a Tier 1 league...and maximize their holdings...ESPN with their SEC and ACC holdings and Fox with the B1G.

And the conspiracy theories hold that ESPN has "outs" in their contract that will allow them to eventually group their strongest brands....How that will fly with the GOR is unknown but those who follow the theory note that the GOR has specific language that states that the programs deed their rights to the conference so that the conference may fulfill their responsibilty under the ESPN contract (that language is in the GOR previously linked).

There is no information on the what it takes for ESPN or the conference to modify the ESPN contract. Some noodlers throw out the thought that the Mouse could keep the rest of the conference members "whole" in terms of revenue and add a couple of teams if they move a couple to the SEC/B1G. And that might suffice.

But...we are all noodlers since little concrete is known.

Me? I do not see ESPN willingly ceding Notre Dame to Fox...I would guess that they would prefer the Irish get a big contract from NBC, stay indy and play their 2.5 games average under the ESPN umbrella. But that's my noodle.

Reaction Score
Ok, can you lay out here in one post what you know about the various contracts and provide links so we can get as knowledge as you? Thx.

Just review my posts, follow links, note sources cited...google your heart out. peruse...read a dozen fan sites a day, etc.

I'm not going to put out a concentrated effort just for your edification....

I understand that a lot is unkown...I post what I post...but you called me out on the wrong item and know it.

It probably frustrates you in that you think that I pretend to be an authority....I'm not, nor an insider.

Nor was conlaw my specialty...

I am a retired football guy with hours to browse the internet gleaning what I can. Take or leave what I post...or better yet..ignore if I ruffle your feathers.

Reaction Score
But...I will put out some approximate timelines that I have noodled from the Webverse...

August 4th - PAC 12's 30 day contract negotiation window closes with ESPN. ESPN has been reported to have lowballed with a $24.5 million offer. FOX may not be interested in future PAC rights.

August 15th - B1G will likely announce preliminary terms of their new deal around this date. And thtat's a guess for sure.

October 15th - Hard deadline for the new B1G deal to be finalized. (It should be known if Notre Dame decides to leave for B1G at this date ,my noodle).

Reaction Score
Re PAC 12

" Insider, John Canzano sought out the opinion of the former president of Fox Sports Network Bob Thompson, and what he had to say was very interesting in regards to the future of the conference. Contrary to the belief that it may be the schools or conferences that will decide the fate of the Pac-12, there is a belief that it is actually ESPN.

“ESPN needs the Pac-12 more than anybody and will likely pay more than anyone else. They like West Coast windows for football. They like basketball inventory and they might actually be able to make something out of the Pac-12 Networks. They also need content for ESPN+.”

Thompson also expressed his belief that in order for the conference to survive, that there must be an agreement with the conference during this negotiating window that ensures the 10 remaining universities will receive a serviceable annual payout in the future. However, Thompson also explained that if the deal offered isn't as good as some members of the conference hoped, that we might see more departures from the conference. Something that Thompson believes might not upset ESPN all to much saying:

ESPN may decide to make a shrewd offer to the Pac-12, knowing that it if it’s rejected, the conference is likely to fall apart and have a handful of members end up with the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Just review my posts, follow links, note sources cited...google your heart out. peruse...read a dozen fan sites a day, etc.

I'm not going to put out a concentrated effort just for your edification....

I understand that a lot is unkown...I post what I post...but you called me out on the wrong item and know it.

It probably frustrates you in that you think that I pretend to be an authority....I'm not, nor an insider.

Nor was conlaw my specialty...

I am a retired football guy with hours to browse the internet gleaning what I can. Take or leave what I post...or better yet..ignore if I ruffle your feathers.
Dude - chill out. I didn't call you out on the wrong item - go above and re-read it... and you really carry on conflating your opinions with known facts - again look above and see several people calling you out on it.

The bottom line is that no one knows what's in these documents and contracts have pre-meditated exits and ways directly and/or through legal settlements for both parties to to receive damages if one or both parties fail to perform contract requirements.

Reaction Score
"NBC is proposing a strategy that calls for back-to-back Big Ten and NFL games in prime time TV on Saturday and Sunday nights, said sources.

Imagine a fall football weekend that would include triple-header coverage of Big Ten games on Fox, CBS, and NBC from early Saturday afternoon to Saturday night. Followed the next evening by NBC’s “Sunday Night Football:” the most-watched show in prime time for a record 11 years in a row."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom