Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 302 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I want no part of the Catholic cartel
I'm coming around to it, especially if it, incredibly, came with a FBO Big 12 membership. Not a major motivator, but the irony of selling the Big East name for millions and getting it back for free appeals to me.

Reaction Score
I want no part of the Catholic cartel. UConn will be an outlier when it comes to policy decisions.. Much rather have full XII membership. UConn can compete well in men's & women's hoops, baseball, track. The XII is better competition across the board than the Big East.
You would turn down a XII fb only invite because you don't like the "Catholic Cartel?" That's maniacal.

Reaction Score
We have heard the phrase " a travel partner " quite a bit in these B12 expansion talks, ie the repeated saying heard that " West Virginia will have a travel partner in Cincinnati ( and/ or Uconn ) if such a school(s) were added to the B12. ( Blauds again refers to " travel partners " considerations above in his remarks). But I'm not sure what the heck this means... " travel partners ". School's teams don't travel together, and West Virginia can't be expected to save all that much on plane fare, hotels, etc with a so called " travel partner " in Cincy and/ or Uconn. There are lots of reasons for school presidents to be in favor of a school's suitability for their league's expansion, but the ability or inability to be viewed from the context of its value as a suitable or non suitable " travel partner ", makes little to no sense to me at all. So would anybody here want to take a stab at what a school's perceived " travel partner " considerations should have on any schools invite, or non invite to ANY P5 conference expansion considerations ? its a phrase heard before, but I have no idea what it means in terms of expansion considerations, nor its perceived advantages from a financial standpoint to current league members that will ultimately vote on a possible school for expansion, should it decide that expansion is in the league's overall best collective interests.

Actually in non-revenue sports, teams often do travel together. The concept is simple: two teams close in distance would fly or bus together to a destination close to two opponents also close in distance. They would stay a few days playing each opponent and then basically switch opponents and return. It's an effective way to manage schedules and travel costs. This is very common in Division I scheduling. It obviously doesn't apply to football, and in a football-only expansion for the Big 12 would be irrelevant, but it would be helpful for a full expansion.

Reaction Score
I'm coming around to it, especially if it, incredibly, came with a FBO Big 12 membership. Not a major motivator, but the irony of selling the Big East name for millions and getting it back for free appeals to me.

I would like the BE name back, but not the teams that are currently attached to that name. I really wish we hadn't sold it, but I understand the necessity of doing so.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Big East we knew as uconn fans is dead. It's slightly ahead of the A10.

Would rather play cincy, temple and Memphis. Houston isn't bad either.

Don't see Villanova long term competing for NC's. That was remnants of the BE recruiting that won that title.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Nova's recruiting was going great. The issue is Cincy and Houston wouldn't be here and Houston sucks anyway. Cincy, Temple and Memphis are the only other name bball programs in the AAC. Memphis is headed downhill, Temple has peaked and Cincy would be in the B12. No way is that better than Nova, Marquette, PC, Creighton etc. The meat of our fanbase knows basketball and they realize schools like Creighton have a great basketball tradition. Big East basketball would rejuvenate us. I'd consider a football invite to the B12 and Big East for everything else almost as good as full B12 membership. The only downside would be that we weren't "wanted" for full membership by the B12.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Nova's recruiting was going great. The issue is Cincy and Houston wouldn't be here and Houston sucks anyway. Cincy, Temple and Memphis are the only other name bball programs in the AAC. Memphis is headed downhill, Temple has peaked and Cincy would be in the B12. No way is that better than Nova, Marquette, PC, Creighton etc. The meat of our fanbase knows basketball and they realize schools like Creighton have a great basketball tradition. Big East basketball would rejuvenate us. I'd consider a football invite to the B12 and Big East for everything else almost as good as full B12 membership. The only downside would be that we weren't "wanted" for full membership by the B12.
it's a useless argument because i don't see Big12 invite for FB only...
My personal opinion is that unless the football is in a P5, I want nothing to do with the Big East as a Uconn fan.

Reaction Score
it's a useless argument because i don't see Big12 invite for FB only...
My personal opinion is that unless the football is in a P5, I want nothing to do with the Big East as a Uconn fan.

Even if Cinci/Houston/UCF and USF left? Staying in the AAC after that would be suicide.

Reaction Score
Sports
Former military officers, senators, professors will meet to talk Big 12 expansion

They include an expert in plant science, a former key contributor to the Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center and a former chair of a department of mathematics and statistics. They include the former highest-ranking U.S. military officer as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, a former U.S. senator (and Oklahoma governor before that) and a man who has been president of five universities. They include a former “Professor of Christian Scriptures,” a former practicing lawyer and a university president who still teaches a freshman class at the TCU College of Education.

They include a woman, Kansas Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little, who spent 38 years in various key positions at the University of North Carolina, including chairing the psychology department.

Former military officers, senators, professors will meet to talk Big 12 expansion

Reaction Score
Jarom Jordan@jaromjordan
BYUtv. @BYUSportsNation co-host. @BYUFootball Pre/Post game producer.

Jarom Jordan Retweeted
BYU Sports Nation ‏@BYUSportsNation · 1h1 hour ago
Special LIVE #BYUSN edition Monday at 6pm ET for complete #BYUtoBig12 coverage including press conference on BYUtv & BYU Radio

Y4LYFE ‏@Y4LYFE 1h1 hour ago
@BYUSportsNation @jaromjordan why tho?

Jarom Jordan ‏@jaromjordan 1h1 hour ago
@Y4LYFE What kind of question is this?

Y4LYFE ‏@Y4LYFE 1h1 hour ago
@jaromjordan why special coverage if not expanding....

Jarom Jordan‏@jaromjordan
@Y4LYFE Nobody knows what they are going to do so why not?

Austin Lawyer ‏@austin_lawyer 45m45 minutes ago
@jaromjordan @Y4LYFE
If BYU doesn't have good news tomorrow this will be a terrible troll...something is up

Tyson ‏@TysonHigham 50m50 minutes ago
@jaromjordan @Y4LYFE
WHAT DO YOU KNOW JAROM JORDAN?!?

Jarom Jordan ‏@jaromjordan 48m48 minutes ago
Jarom Jordan Retweeted Mikel
From the boss...

Mikel‏@mikmin5 Mikel Retweeted Y4LYFE
I'll play along: BYUtv is a national media outlet for BYU. A press conference has been scheduled; BYUSN is covering it for its news value.

loyalblue15 ‏@loyalblue15 · 50m50 minutes ago
@jaromjordan @mikmin5 boss of?

Jarom Jordan ‏@jaromjordan · 50m50 minutes ago
@loyalblue15 BYUtv Sports

Jarom Jordan ‏@jaromjordan · 46m46 minutes ago
@TravisB06052015 Not hosting. Just streaming like anyone else can.

Nice Leather Pants‏@alaskutahn
@jaromjordan
valid point. But you can understand how suspicious (in a good way) this looks.

Jarom Jordan ‏@jaromjordan · 46m46 minutes ago
@alaskutahn
I don't. It's a scheduled news conference by the Big 12. It's not BYU's presser. There's news value.

Tyson‏@TysonHigham
@jaromjordan @mikmin5
I don't buy this explanation AT ALL!

Mikel ‏@mikmin5 · 46m46 minutes ago
Not asking you to 'buy' anything. Press conferences provide added media access to a news story. BYUtv is covering it as a service to fans.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it the best. I'd honestly rather see the bball teams play Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Iowa St regularly.
Not that it makes much sense for the Big 12 to not include UConn men's hoops, but why wouldn't a hybrid Big 12 football-only / NBE arrangement increase the likelihood of quasi-OOC hoops scheduling with UT, KU, and OU?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Can Uconn sell its BB media rights as an independent for more than the value of the BE distribution and still have access to the NCAA tournament? If yes, then that's what they should do.

You can always schedule BB games. The only thing lost is the extra conf Tournament games. If passed over, everything needs to be on the table to generate revenue. The BE doesn't have a ton going for it either that it should be some default response.

Reaction Score
Sounds to me that playing in the AAC or new Big East is a lose lose for UConn. That is precisely why this golden era of uconn athletics dies today. Football might as well not exist, men's hoops will remain competitive as long as KO is at the helm, and women's hoops will remain elite under geno. When new regimes replace our current ones, things will start to feel more like 1985 than 2025.

Reaction Score
Sounds to me that playing in the AAC or new Big East is a lose lose for UConn. That is precisely why this golden era of uconn athletics dies today. Football might as well not exist, men's hoops will remain competitive as long as KO is at the helm, and women's hoops will remain elite under geno. When new regimes replace our current ones, things will start to feel more like 1985 than 2025.
I'm feeling pessimistic but you're being a bit of a drama queen. Besides things ended in 2012, when UL got picked, of course we won a men's basketball title after that.

Reaction Score
I'm feeling pessimistic but you're being a bit of a drama queen. Besides things ended in 2012, when UL got picked, of course we won a men's basketball title after that.
We won a title with an experienced team who remained loyal to a program post realignment. The 2014 title does nothing to support that argument.

Reaction Score
We won a title with an experienced team who remained loyal to a program post realignment. The 2014 title does nothing to support that argument.

Sure, let's ignore that we also did it with a 2nd year coach who was hired post realignment.

Reaction Score
All I'm saying let's wait to see how things shake out. I was probably among the most bummed out, finger pointing at warde and Herbst, when Louisvile got picked ahead of us. If no one from the conference gets picked we have more time. If four teams,get picked and we don't go, were fawked.

Reaction Score
Sure, let's ignore that we also did it with a 2nd year coach who was hired post realignment.
We aren't ignoring that, we are simply keeping things well within context.

Reaction Score
We aren't ignoring that, we are simply keeping things well within context.

You can't have it both ways. You can't claim that the 2014 title does nothing to support we'll be ok post-realignment because the majority of the players were recruited pre-realignment, then not acknowledge that the coach was hired post-realignment.

That's context.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Jake Trotter@Jake_Trotter 9 mins ago
The two consultants, Navigate and BHV, have gone into the meeting room, presumably to give their presentations to the Big 12 presidents.

So this is the part where they tell them UConn adds the most value and then they disregard it and add Houston.

Reaction Score
You can't have it both ways. You can't claim that the 2014 title does nothing to support we'll be ok post-realignment because the majority of the players were recruited pre-realignment, then not acknowledge that the coach was hired post-realignment.

That's context.
The coach was on the staff pre-realignment and an internal hire. That is context. Hiring KO still doesn't support your argument.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm not ashamed to admit the prospect of even worse FB schedules would cause me to reconsider the allocation of time required to attend FB games in person.

This is a very important day for UConn athletics as a whole. We may end up somewhere better than the current AAC, but the clock will be ticking louder than ever.

Reaction Score
Best case it is an interim step, worst case it is a reconsideration of the whole athletic department minus hoops, hockey, soccer and field hockey, baseball, softball

I'm not ashamed to admit the prospect of even worse FB schedules would cause me to reconsider the allocation of time required to attend FB games in person.

This is a very important day for UConn athletics as a whole. We may end up somewhere better than the current AAC, but the clock will be ticking louder than ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom