Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 164 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I hear you buddy. I don't know exactly what it means but my assumption is that UConn is getting $10mil per year (including big east exit fee payouts) and Tulane is getting $3mil.

Thanks. That's why I spend most of my time on the non key tweet thread. Tweedle dee and tweedle dumb tend to dumb it down for their audience. Hey wait a minute....:eek:

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 57m57 minutes ago
Big 12 presidents to get in-depth presentations from Navigate Research, TV consultant BHV. Plenty to digest.

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 58m58 minutes ago
Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby doesn't expect votes on key issues this week but wants decisions by the end of summer.

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 57m57 minutes ago
Source indicates at least six Big 12 schools now favor expansion as a concept and maybe as many as eight. No consensus on who just yet.

Mike Finger ‏@mikefinger · 57m57 minutes ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN As a concept? But no specific schools are part of the concept, right?

Chuck Carlton Verified account 
‏@ChuckCarltonDMN

@mikefinger That's the dilemma. Do you go east for UConn-Cincy? West for BYU-CSU? South for UCF-USF? Or wait for something better.

Gary Fuller ‏@fullergary · 47m47 minutes ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN @mikefinger Who said they would only add two schools?

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 40m40 minutes ago
@fullergary @mikefinger I haven't. Told 14 remains on the table. Navigate Research included 14 as a possibility.

JayPfister ‏@angeraddict · 41m41 minutes ago
@CSURamsNews @ChuckCarltonDMN does anyone really know what they're going to do? This is killing me. FTC paper saying it's dead.

Chuck Carlton Verified account 
‏@ChuckCarltonDMN

@angeraddict I report, trust my sources, try to double- and triple-check and then write. But a whole lot of moving parts right now.

Reaction Score
Chip brown has been banging that collective bargaining drum for a while now. No one else has brought that up as an option.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My guess on the range of payments is that it includes bowl money - but I couldn't find a decent source on if an Access Bowl participant gets a bigger chunk of bowl money in the American like they do in say MWC.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
My guess on the range of payments is that it includes bowl money - but I couldn't find a decent source on if an Access Bowl participant gets a bigger chunk of bowl money in the American like they do in say MWC.
I'm assuming it reflects UConn, Cincy and USF getting much larger shares of the BE rights $ now, which will fall off in the future.

Reaction Score
Here's a link to 2013-2014 Form 990 for The American Conference. Page 17 has the breakdown for disbursement which has UConn at a conference-leading $10.7M with Temple bringing up the rear at $4.8M. These numbers include some exit fee money. The irony is that Notre Dame still picked up $500K. Clearly it pays to have leverage and put together a good contract.

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2014/510/244/2014-510244593-0bbb0678-9.pdf

I remember seeing something more recent that showed some contraction in payout, but I can't locate it right now. I think UConn was just below $10M (perhaps around $9.7M) and football-only Navy was around $3M ($2.2M for TV plus their share of CFP and Bowl revenue).

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Does everybody have me on freaking ignore. :rolleyes:

WTF does this mean?

Re B12 expansion: AAC payout dif not as vast as reported. Range is from $3 mil to $10 compared to B12 $23.3 mil.

It's Dodd being a moron again. He's basically saying that $10 mil isn't that far from $23 mil... and that people should be happy in the AAC. It's not that big of a difference... ignoring of course the $10 mill probably includes the exit fees and old Big East tournament credits that Cinci and UConn are getting... which will dry up shortly. He's been banging the "You have it pretty good in the AAC, why not be the big fish in the small pond, the grass isn't always greener, money doesn't buy happiness..." BS lines. It's also moronic statement because $13 mil more is still a ton of cash.

Reaction Score
It's Dodd being a moron again. He's basically saying that $10 mil isn't that far from $23 mil... and that people should be happy in the AAC. It's not that big of a difference... ignoring of course the $10 mill probably includes the exit fees and old Big East tournament credits that Cinci and UConn are getting... which will dry up shortly. He's been banging the "You have it pretty good in the AAC, why not be the big fish in the small pond, the grass isn't always greener, money doesn't buy happiness..." BS lines. It's also moronic statement because $13 mil more is still a ton of cash.

Yeah like..... more than double.

His surely is an asinine position.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah like..... more than double.

His surely is an asinine position.

That would be consistent with almost every position he's ever taken. The guy is a tool.

Reaction Score
Here's a link to 2013-2014 Form 990 for The American Conference. Page 17 has the breakdown for disbursement which has UConn at a conference-leading $10.7M with Temple bringing up the rear at $4.8M. These numbers include some exit fee money. The irony is that Notre Dame still picked up $500K. Clearly it pays to have leverage and put together a good contract.

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2014/510/244/2014-510244593-0bbb0678-9.pdf

I remember seeing something more recent that showed some contraction in payout, but I can't locate it right now. I think UConn was just below $10M (perhaps around $9.7M) and football-only Navy was around $3M ($2.2M for TV plus their share of CFP and Bowl revenue).

Curiously enough, according to that doc only $5.06 million in conference revenue was from exit fees. So that would mean only $1.4 million or so of UConn's payout came from other programs leaving.

$54 Million - over half of the conferences revenue stream - came from postseason tournaments (2013 the UConn women and Louisville men won it all in hoops and Louisville won the Sugar Bowl too).

Honestly, if I am UConn I'm making the case that our basketball programs are worth between $1-3 million a year annually per school to a potential conference in championship revenue strictly from the NCAA.

Reaction Score
Curiously enough, according to that doc only $5.06 million in conference revenue was from exit fees. So that would mean only $1.4 million or so of UConn's payout came from other programs leaving.

$54 Million - over half of the conferences revenue stream - came from postseason tournaments (2013 the UConn women and Louisville men won it all in hoops and Louisville won the Sugar Bowl too).

Honestly, if I am UConn I'm making the case that our basketball programs are worth between $1-3 million a year annually per school to a potential conference in championship revenue strictly from the NCAA.

In addition to the exit fees there was $2.7M in entrance fees UConn shared in. I believe Rutger's exit fee was "applied" the following year. Additionally, a percentage of the exit "revenue" that UConn receives may be coming from a greater proportion of trailing Post Season Tournaments payouts. The data is for year ending 6/30/2014 so I don't believe we would see the Louisville Sugar Bowl payout although we may be collecting residuals on their NCAA run. If you look at CUSA's payouts, you can see why a lot of the new members are pretty happy about joining the AAC. As meager as it is in comparison to a P5 payout, it was a major step up for some of these schools.

Reaction Score
In addition to the exit fees there was $2.7M in entrance fees UConn shared in. I believe Rutger's exit fee was "applied" the following year. Additionally, a percentage of the exit "revenue" that UConn receives may be coming from a greater proportion of trailing Post Season Tournaments payouts. The data is for year ending 6/30/2014 so I don't believe we would see the Louisville Sugar Bowl payout although we may be collecting residuals on their NCAA run. If you look at CUSA's payouts, you can see why a lot of the new members are pretty happy about joining the AAC. As meager as it is in comparison to a P5 payout, it was a major step up for some of these schools.

Good points. I will say we are definitely collecting residuals from their NCAA run. There was an article written recently that showed that since the 2011 UConn run the AAC has been earning more $$$ annually because of the two UConn titles and Louisville's in 2013.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

From earlier media reports, expect them to talk about the Baker Mayfield transfer thingy, not expansion from today's meeting.The Bevilacqua presentation is scheduled for Friday.

Interesting music choices, by the way...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
  1. Stephen Slade ‏@ssladephoto 6h6 hours ago
    President Susan Herbst gives a pep talk to @UConnBaseball at the airport before their flight to Gainesville #HookCpic.twitter.com/fv3ph0tEXi

Cj34wS7UUAMJ4hu.jpg

Cj34wTBVAAAG-xZ.jpg

Reaction Score
Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe · 5h5 hours ago
Baylor’s Ken Starr tells me he is resigning as chancellor as “a matter of conscience.” More with Starr in @SportsCenter exclusive.

Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe · 2h2 hours ago
Ken Starr told me: “I didn’t know what was happening but I have to and I am willing to accept responsibility.”

Ken Starr: “I’m behind a veil of ignorance.”

Ken Starr “completely disagrees” that Baylor created a perception that football was above the rules. Calls Art Briles a “father figure.”

Ken Starr disputes notion he is responsible for poor tone and culture at Baylor. “I respectfully but firmly disagree with Pepper Hamilton.”

Ken Starr: “I respectfully disagree that there was a systematic failure. I do agree that we could have done more.”

Ken Starr: “The CEO doesn’t know day-to-day. I don’t go into - in fact, I’ve never been to a campus party…”

Ken Starr says prior to the fall of 2015 he does not recall being directly contacted by a woman stating she had been assaulted.

Ken Starr on Oakman/Okwuwchu: “I can’t disagree with the policy judgement to give second chances to young men with a very tough past.”

Ken Starr: “Yes, in retrospect it would have been a lot safer to say to these young men, no, we’re not going to give a second chance…”

“…but that’s not America.”

Ken Starr compares Art Briles’ record on discipline to Abe Lincoln’s. “Briles in any judgement could have been a firmer disciplinarian.”

Ken Starr says Art Briles was a “character shaper.”

Reaction Score
Ken Starr “completely disagrees” that Baylor created a perception that football was above the rules. Calls Art Briles a “father figure.”

The Chancellor (ex-now) of a school just called the head football coach a, "father figure." I can't imagine why anyone would think that football was above the rules at Baylor.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Chancellor (ex-now) of a school just called the head football coach a, "father figure." I can't imagine why anyone would think that football was above the rules at Baylor.
I think it is a stretch to say Starr meant a father figure to him. I think the easiest interpretation is that he was a father figure to the young men in the program.

If you want to pick apart the statement, the "I can’t disagree with the policy judgement to give second chances to young men with a very tough past.” is the low hanging fruit.

Reaction Score
John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover 10m10 minutes ago
John E. Hoover: #Big12 needs to do something, but it just can’t right now
Big 12 needs to do something, but it just can’t right now

"But Texas Tech president Duane Nellis already announced in January that he was leaving, and the departure last month of Kansas State president Kirk Schulz for Washington State — Schulz was chairman of the Big 12 board of directors — has slowed any talk of expansion or a league network or a championship football game.

What’s the urgency? The ACC last week announced its 2014-15 revenue and joined the SEC, Big Ten and Pac-12 as conferences with more than $400 million income. The Big 12, at last report, was around $260 million.

The Big 12 has to do something or will continue to be regarded as, like Boren said, a little brother.

However, with a dumpster fire like Baylor burning out of control, deciding what to do with the Longhorn Network or measuring the merits of BYU versus Cincinnati versus Connecticut seems almost trivial in comparison."

Reaction Score
John E. Hoover ‏@johnehoover 10m10 minutes ago
John E. Hoover: #Big12 needs to do something, but it just can’t right now
Big 12 needs to do something, but it just can’t right now

"But Texas Tech president Duane Nellis already announced in January that he was leaving, and the departure last month of Kansas State president Kirk Schulz for Washington State — Schulz was chairman of the Big 12 board of directors — has slowed any talk of expansion or a league network or a championship football game.

What’s the urgency? The ACC last week announced its 2014-15 revenue and joined the SEC, Big Ten and Pac-12 as conferences with more than $400 million income. The Big 12, at last report, was around $260 million.

The Big 12 has to do something or will continue to be regarded as, like Boren said, a little brother.

However, with a dumpster fire like Baylor burning out of control, deciding what to do with the Longhorn Network or measuring the merits of BYU versus Cincinnati versus Connecticut seems almost trivial in comparison."
There is actually nothing trivial about it:
UConn> BYU>cincy. Focus on what to do with Baylor and allow the to metrics speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
There is actually nothing trivial about it:
UConn> BYU>cincy. Focus on what to do with Baylor and allow the to metrics speak for themselves.

A conference that wants to earn as much as the SEC, B1G and ACC should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Look, nothing is going to happen to Baylor in the long run. If Penn State didn't get the Death Penalty, Baylor certainly will not.

Furthermore, Baylor being competitive in football has absolutely nothing to do with the Big 12 getting a network. The Waco DMA is not going to make or break a future Big 12 network. What will is adding schools that increase the conference footprint and bring in more eyeballs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom