Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 159 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
If ESPN is going to pony up a lot of money to get the 2nd piece of the B1G pie, why would they let a guy like Spielman go? Unless Fox just blew ESPN out of the water for him. But these play by play guys make peanuts probably compared to what the package for B1G part 2 will cost, no?
Wonder if ESPN is conceding on losing the B1G.

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
Sorry, we in the Great Lakes State already claim Hell. It's a tiny town in Southeast Michigan. We also lay claim to Paradise.

Still waiting for that Detriot Lions Super Bowl win:
hell-frozen.jpg

My grandparents honeymooned there. :p

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would classify these two tweets as UH President publicly begging...

Renu Khator ‏@UHpres 3m3 minutes ago
'Billion Dollar Buyer' star makes strong case for Houston in the Big 12 - http://CBSSports.com
'Billion Dollar Buyer' star makes strong case for Houston in the Big 12 A powerful board of regents chairman at Houston believes the Cougars are not only a no-brainer for Big 12 expansion, they should already be in the conference cbssports.com

Renu Khator ‏@UHpres 5m5 minutes ago
proxy.jpg

Houston chairman thinks Texas is too scared to let the Cougars into the Big 12 There's a lot of history between Houston and its Big 12 counterparts around Texas. sbnation.com

Reaction Score
From Susan Herbst's letter dated December 12, 2012:

"I realize that this is aggravating to hear, but as in all things, we can only affect what is in our control. As a result, we strive for excellence at UConn daily across all departments, something very much in our control. We stand tall at UConn and we need not beg, plead, nor despair. That is not who we are, and my reading of our university history -- from 1881 to today -- conveys the pride of every generation, in good times and bad."

Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 3m3 minutes ago
Texas booster Red McCombs tells ESPN radio in San Antonio, Big 12 needs to expand by 2 teams: "Houston & your choice of several others"

This is exactly what can happen in these situations. Metrics are all in, they should drive the decision in one direction, and then an influencer from the old boy network steps in and metrics step out. Not saying it will, but would anyone be shocked if it did.

Reaction Score
This is exactly what can happen in these situations. Metrics are all in, they should drive the decision in one direction, and then an influencer from the old boy network steps in and metrics step out. Not saying it will, but would anyone be shocked if it did.
Yes, because adding Houston kills the TV network and kills the likelihood that OU sticks around. It may sound good in parts of Texas but it makes no sense every where else. The Big 12 is in survival mode, not invite two random teams to split the pot 12 ways instead of 10.

C

Chief00

If I was the Big 12 I would select Houston and UConn. That would have by far the most long term upside. UT always looks down at Houston's inferior academics so that may be a barrier. But deep down Houston has tons of potential in football and UT doesn't want to wake that sleeping giant.

Now in any business field someone may win because they outwork everyone else - in that case Cincy would get the nod.

Having said that the window will close very soon on UConn and the Big12 hasn't demonstrated an ability to take fast and strategic action. In CR the choices you have today aren't the choices available tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
If I was the Big 12 I would select Houston and UConn. That would have by far the most long term upside. UT always looks down at Houston's inferior academics so that may be a barrier. But deep down Houston has tons of potential in football and UT doesn't want to wake that sleeping giant.

Now in any business field someone may win because they outwork everyone else - in that case Cincy would get the nod.

Having said that the window will close very soon on UConn and the Big12 hasn't demonstrated an ability to take fast and strategic action. In CR the choices you have today aren't the choices available tomorrow.
I thought you just said uconn is,getting invited to a p5 this summer? I thought uconn had a plethora of options? What is going on here???

C

Chief00

I thought you just said uconn is,getting invited to a p5 this summer? I thought uconn had a plethora of options? What is going on here???

Correct - please re-read carefully. But, it's not so much that UConn has options to pick from - it's more when movement starts and you look at all the TV analysis -UConn is the only Northeast footprint left; once UConn is off the table so is that option absence stealing from the Big 10 or ACC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

pj

Reaction Score
Anyone have comparable data for the Hartford-New Haven market?

Reaction Score
Those are good numbers for U of H, but as tzz points out, Texas is down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom