Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 783 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
They’ve generally been losses. We need to be scheduling less top 25, not more.

132/133
There has to be a balance. If we can get them to play in Rentscler, all for some of it, but unless UConn is in a league, we just take on these wildcat programs.

Reaction Score
Not sure why you're basically absolving UM on this, but here's an outsider's take...

1- there's a vast amount of undeniable evidence that Michigan has been cheating for years.
2- the staffer has been fired, but only after Michigan had been publicly outed months after the investigation started privately and with Michigan's awareness.
3- the coach, who has been penalized for other NCAA/B1G infractions just this season, is to be held accountable for direct and/or indirect knowledge of everything going on within the program. There's this concept of lack of institutional control, so a leader can't just look the other way or claim ignorance of wrongdoing underneath him or her.
4- there's this thing called progressive discipline and this is not a legal case in a court of law, so there's no requirement to have 100% of the evidence presented before initial discipline is handed out.
5- Harbaugh's three game non-sideline game coaching penalty is just the first step and really is just a bit of a slap on the wrist with more measures likely.
6- do other schools have cheating going on right now and in the past? Yup, pretty sure there's something going on at many B1G schools but this is not what's being investigated now. Will Michigan report something going on elsewhere? Seems like that will happen at some point. That's within their rights as a B1G member. But it doesn't absolve Michigan from what they're being investigated for now.
7- Michigan in the court of public opinion is really looking poor on all of this. Poor Head Coach, AD, and President perceptions abound. Supposedly their BOT's, major donors, and university professors' views are mixed on it.
8- usually when something reaches this point this fast, the outcomes are not good for the leadership. Seems like that's what is going to happen here, too.
9- whether in a court of law, the court of public opinion, or in a member-driven disciplinary process if remorse is shown, the penalties are usually handed down with that taken into account. There is little of that being shown by Michigan, so they are going to have to risk their track of behavior impacting what may or may not apply to their final penalties in this regard.
Very thoughtful and well-written. Thanks for this.

Reaction Score
Very thoughtful and well-written. Thanks for this.
What does UConn's former rock star has to say about this? Warde Manuel messed up our joining the ACC. Will he damage Michigan football?

Reaction Score
I dunno - it’s spinning quickly… the SEC is applauding them and sending an application.;)

The SEC only wants smart programs that don’t get caught. Not moron programs that entrust high level cheating schemes with the likes of Carver Scallions.

Reaction Score
“Sources told ESPN that university leadership this week has shifted its tone from the stern rebuke of the league's sanctions to a growing acceptance that the football program might be dealing with significant NCAA infractions that could include a failure to properly monitor the program on Harbaugh's part.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Not unexpected but I don't know how to feel about this. A poor NBC deal would probably prompt Notre Dame to move to the big 10, which, arguably, might prompt the ACC to look for another member, but the last round of expansion has convinced me that the ACC really has no interest in us. They should, by every reasonable metric, but they don't.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
“A sitting Big Ten AD vocalized publicly what’s been privately whispered for months: Within five years — and most say much sooner — the Power Five conference schools will operate from under a new governance structure that features an athlete revenue-sharing model, a shift often described by many within the industry as “The Great Split.”

“I do believe five years from now that we will be at a point where we are sharing revenue with student-athletes,” Evans told leaders of the Knight Commission, a group of mostly former and current college athletic administrators promoting educational reforms in college sports.

“To think we are not going to be sharing some of those revenues… we are going to be there. It would not surprise me to see some sort of different type of governance structure in place that separates the A5 out from the current structure.””

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
“A sitting Big Ten AD vocalized publicly what’s been privately whispered for months: Within five years — and most say much sooner — the Power Five conference schools will operate from under a new governance structure that features an athlete revenue-sharing model, a shift often described by many within the industry as “The Great Split.”

“I do believe five years from now that we will be at a point where we are sharing revenue with student-athletes,” Evans told leaders of the Knight Commission, a group of mostly former and current college athletic administrators promoting educational reforms in college sports.

“To think we are not going to be sharing some of those revenues… we are going to be there. It would not surprise me to see some sort of different type of governance structure in place that separates the A5 out from the current structure.””

“A dividing line is forming between the schools and conferences that can and cannot afford to contribute to payments if the House case is settled or lost.

“If we are going to pay the freight for House,” Evans said, referencing the power leagues, “then why are we sharing the revenue to that extent?”

Evans is “hopeful” that whatever new model is created preserves competition among all Division I schools competing together in the NCAA men’s and women’s basketball tournaments — two of the most successful NCAA-operated events.

But he suggests that basketball could eventually go the way of football, whose postseason is controlled by the independent CFP.

“I do believe there is going to be a change,” Evan said. “When I say that, I don’t say that in a fashion that if the Power Five moved away for some reason, that you can’t have competition amongst everyone. The reason I say that is because if you’re going to be the ones paying the freight for (House), why should we not control the revenue? You take a look at the CFP model … If all the sudden basketball goes the same situation, it totally changes what we look like.””

CL82

Reaction Score
“A dividing line is forming between the schools and conferences that can and cannot afford to contribute to payments if the House case is settled or lost.

“If we are going to pay the freight for House,” Evans said, referencing the power leagues, “then why are we sharing the revenue to that extent?”

Evans is “hopeful” that whatever new model is created preserves competition among all Division I schools competing together in the NCAA men’s and women’s basketball tournaments — two of the most successful NCAA-operated events.

But he suggests that basketball could eventually go the way of football, whose postseason is controlled by the independent CFP.

“I do believe there is going to be a change,” Evan said. “When I say that, I don’t say that in a fashion that if the Power Five moved away for some reason, that you can’t have competition amongst everyone. The reason I say that is because if you’re going to be the ones paying the freight for (House), why should we not control the revenue? You take a look at the CFP model … If all the sudden basketball goes the same situation, it totally changes what we look like.””
Is this our last chance to get on the "have" side of the dividing line?

Five months from now would be just after March Madness. I have to think it would be difficult to leave us out if we are still the current reigning champions.

Reaction Score
Is this our last chance to get on the "have" side of the dividing line?

Five months from now would be just after March Madness. I have to think it would be difficult to leave us out if we are still the current reigning champions.

Why? That’s a great reason to do that. Where is the revenue that we are supposed to be sharing coming from?

CL82

Reaction Score
Why? That’s a great reason to do that. Where is the revenue that we are supposed to be sharing coming from?
The revenue would come from the dismantling of the NCAA tournament which earns about $1 billion a year. Why extend us an invitation? Because excluding what would be in my hypothetical the reigning back to back national champions would be bad PR. Particularly, if we publicly state that we're prepared to be a part of the proposed student revenue sharing alleged basis for the split.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking the Big East would be part of any breakaway if it included basketball. Villanova and UConn have won 30% of the National Championships in the past 25 years.
Yormark may have been onto something with the idea of separating basketball and football contracts. The second that’s viable UConn is in a power conference (or Big East is tripled in value)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom