Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 678 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

GG

Reaction Score
I've been on your side all along on this and appreciate that you came here, offered information and have been courteous and adult about everything (even when many Boneyarders hadn't in response). I think however that the above comment is a bit difficult to believe. Especially as many pundits were throwing around Utah to the B-12 rumors when Utah was either being quiet about or dismissing the idea. Someone, somewhere would have been both able and willing to leak the rumor if this happened.
The ASU president or athletic director made a comment about not wanting to send their soccer team to Syracuse on a Thursday night, so there may be some truth to this. At the minimum, there must have been discussions.

Reaction Score
I've been on your side all along on this and appreciate that you came here, offered information and have been courteous and adult about everything (even when many Boneyarders hadn't in response). I think however that the above comment is a bit difficult to believe. Especially as many pundits were throwing around Utah to the B-12 rumors when Utah was either being quiet about or dismissing the idea. Someone, somewhere would have been both able and willing to leak the rumor if this happened.
I believe I heard during the ASU president interview with the press he mentioned that ASU had another option out in the East, which I assume it was the ACC.

If true, Yormark getting Colorado to join was the key, which provided better option for the other corner schools to join the B12 vs. the ACC. Had ACC offered Colorado from the start, things might look different today. Since B12 had the pro rata with the media companies while ACC didn't with ESPN, it made sense 3 corner schools went with the B12 for the sure thing vs. being in an unknown situation with the ACC.

ACC's lack of vision, and the fact it didn't have the pro rata media pre-negotiated, means they simply could not move as fast as the B12. ACC is just the ACC

Things start to make some sense from the B12 point of view if this is true. Let's hope we are 17th or 18th.

Jds

Reaction Score
The ASU president or athletic director made a comment about not wanting to send their soccer team to Syracuse on a Thursday night, so there may be some truth to this. At the minimum, there must have been discussions.
Then they wouldn’t want to send their soccer team to Storrs. So there will be opposition to Uconn joining.

Reaction Score
Then they wouldn’t want to send their soccer team to Storrs. So there will be opposition to Uconn joining.
They did mention they weren't looking forward to Morgantown, and I am sure they feel the same about Stores as well. However, they also mentioned 2 in Utah, Texas access etc as being regional etc. as pluses.

GG

Reaction Score
I agree. That statement concerns me. Would the B12 be able to alleviate some of these issues with pods?

Reaction Score
Arizona, Arizona State and Utah were offered invites to the ACC, I guess that's why FOX caved.
Sure Jan GIF

Reaction Score
Full ASU president interview here. The Apple platform looks amazing though. UConn should look into this.

Around 5:30 mark, he mentioned the ACC option. GoKU was correct if this is true. ASU was ready to stay in the PAC until Friday morning call until 2 schools didn't show up to the meeting. You can guess which 2 were those schools. B12 would have invited UConn had the 3 corner schools stayed.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I believe I heard during the ASU president interview with the press he mentioned that ASU had another option out in the East, which I assume it was the ACC.

If true, Yormark getting Colorado to join was the key, which provided better option for the other corner schools to join the B12 vs. the ACC. Had ACC offered Colorado from the start, things might look different today. Since B12 had the pro rata with the media companies while ACC didn't with ESPN, it made sense 3 corner schools went with the B12 for the sure thing vs. being in an unknown situation with the ACC.

ACC's lack of vision, and the fact it didn't have the pro rata media pre-negotiated, means they simply could not move as fast as the B12. ACC is just the ACC

Things start to make some sense from the B12 point of view if this is true. Let's hope we are 17th or 18th.
I listened to that interview. Crow is a savvy dude. Crow was a professor at Columbia so he understands the northeast market and I would guess he knows the value UConn offers in that market.

He played the B12 and FOX if GoKU’s information was correct. He almost couldn’t contain himself in that interview.

My bet is he ran point for the three schools. He raised the bet holding a pair of deuces.

Let’s hope he’s on our side. Will make Yormark’s next attempt successful. If he’s against us it’s over.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For the record I wouldn't want our soccer team playing in Tempe unless it was a night game or the game was in November.

Reactions: GG
Reaction Score
I listened to that interview. Crow is a savvy dude. Crow was a professor at Columbia so he understands the northeast market and I would guess he knows the value UConn offers in that market.

He played the B12 and FOX if GoKU’s information was correct. He almost couldn’t contain himself in that interview.

My bet is he ran point for the three schools. He raised the bet holding a pair of deuces.

Let’s hope he’s on our side. Will make Yormark’s next attempt successful. If he’s against us it’s over.
Yeah I hope this guy is on our side. I think he will appreciate our academic profile, so that's a huge plus for us.

Remember all the corner schools were in an essential academic conference with Stanford and Cal, and they are still going over the shock of now being in the conference with KSU and WVU.

UConn will be a welcoming sight with our overall profile.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

In that case my apologies to @GoKU

Reaction Score
In that case my apologies to @GoKU
Yeah people that doubted him should apologize to him. I always thought his info was legit. ASU president's interview cleared up many things. Yormark was a genius for pulling them away from the ACC.

My only question is why the ACC didn't even bother to offer us even with all the B12 interest. Even if ACC offered, I really really hope our admin is smart enough to reject the ACC and take the B12 offer.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Full ASU president interview here. The Apple platform looks amazing though. UConn should look into this.

Around 5:30 mark, he mentioned the ACC option. GoKU was correct if this is true. ASU was ready to stay in the PAC until Friday morning call until 2 schools didn't show up to the meeting. You can guess which 2 were those schools. B12 would have invited UConn had the 3 corner schools stayed.

Nelson wasn't completely wrong on his assessment, his timing was off by a reasonable amount and he (as he too often does) held on too tight to a notion and dismissed any possible alternative.

At the moment going entirely streaming (with the streaming service then selling off some content to linear distributors) is not far from what it would have been like in 1993 if someone decided to use a cell phone as their only source of phone service (which many do today). There are still some moving parts that will need to be tied down before this will be feasible as a norm but the day will arrive when this will almost universally be the norm.

If we are stuck in the BE for an extended time I would like our leadership to look into something like Apple as an outlet for all tier three (and independent football) broadcasts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Apple should start with a contract with the football independents

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yeah I hope this guy is on our side. I think he will appreciate our academic profile, so that's a huge plus for us.

Remember all the corner schools were in an essential academic conference with Stanford and Cal, and they are still going over the shock of now being in the conference with KSU and WVU.

UConn will be a welcoming sight with our overall profile.
I doubt it will be about our academics.

It will be purely a business decision for him. That is will it be advantageous for ASU? If he determines we bring sports value and could help stabilize his new conference he’ll be on board and get the four corner schools to follow.

Obviously just an opinion but I’m reevaluating my original position that U of A was running point. I didn’t understand accurately the implications when U of A agreed to terms and ASU (Crow) was dragging his feet. He maneuvered who he wanted to join and how much money they would get. I would not bet against this man. He’s the one president I hope Yormark can turn into an ally regarding his vision.

Reaction Score
Nelson wasn't completely wrong on his assessment, his timing was off by a reasonable amount and he (as he too often does) held on too tight to a notion and dismissed any possible alternative.

At the moment going entirely streaming (with the streaming service then selling off some content to linear distributors) is far from what it would have been like in 1993 if someone decided to use a cell phone as their only source of phone service (which many do today). There are still some moving parts that will need to be tied down before this will be feasible as a norm but the day will arrive when this will almost universally be the norm.

If we are stuck in the BE for an extended time I would like our leadership to look into something like Apple as an outlet for all tier three (and independent football) broadcasts.
I have said repeatedly don't underestimate a company like Apple. I truly think what they are proposing is the future, and it will be hard for linear TV to compete unless they adopt and change as well.

My only hope now is Yormark can Fox and ESPN to pay up for number 17 and 18. If he is able to, we are in.

Reaction Score
I doubt it will be about our academics.

It will be purely a business decision for him. That is will it be advantageous for ASU? If he determines we bring sports value and could help stabilize his new conference he’ll be on board and get the four corner schools to follow.

Obviously just an opinion but I’m reevaluating my original position that U of A was running point. I didn’t understand accurately the implications when U of A agreed to terms and ASU (Crow) was dragging his feet. He maneuvered who he wanted to join and how much money they would get. I would not bet against this man. He’s the one president I hope Yormark can turn into an ally regarding his vision.
ASU president confirmed UA and ASU are tied to the hip, and will always be in the same conference like twins.

The other part is ACC got punked again. If UConn ended up in the B12, it will be another nail in the ACC coffin.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
ASU president confirmed UA and ASU are tied to the hip, and will always be in the same conference like twins.

The other part is ACC got punked again. If UConn ended up in the B12, it will be another nail in the ACC coffin.
Yes they are tied to the hip. I thought U of A were the leaders. Clearly it was ASU.

The 100 calls during the last week between presidents that Crow referenced in the interview were probably Crow reassuring the U of A president to hang in their.

As an aside Crow vetted Apple and discarded it primarily because of exposure.

Reaction Score
Yormark wants UConn but the Big 12 Presidents don’t,

Michael Crow and the other noobs won’t vote for UConn ahead of WSU and Oregon State.
Maybe Oregon State but I doubt Washington State. I hope UConn will get in as 17th or 18th.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I'm not questioning your knocking the "canary in a coal mine" comment but I still don't fully buy the "saving his marriage" as the real reason he left for Georgetown. Does anyone really believe that there aren't any potential side chicks in DC?

Reaction Score
I feel like this is mostly about where Cal and Stanford land. Once they park somewhere, the excitement will be gone and it'll be crickets again. Maybe OSU will move the needle for the Big 12, but I don't see any of this changing people's ambivalence about UConn. People just have low awareness of Connecticut in general, except unfortunately BC and Syracuse, who make sure we don't draw glances from the ACC (not that hard to do with football schools essentially in charge). I mean, someone who's into sports intensely enough to find the Boneyard and post here admitted that they didn't even realize we had a football program until last month.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom