Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 514 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Perhaps, but that certainly wouldn't be my opening position.
That's about what we are actually worth. If another G5 school gets in ahead of us, the entire upper administration in the school and AD needs to be let go. If Arizona beats us to the punch, it is what it is. If Memphis, SDSU, or USF do, heads need to roll.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The story does mention a reduced rate for G5 schools:

"As for television payouts, Colorado is expected to join the Big 12 at a pro rata basis, which is an average of $31.7 million in television revenue over the course of the league's new deal starting in 2025. Additional schools coming in at that rate would require some additional conversation, as Power 5 schools are expected to be pro rata -- assuming Fox and ESPN agree on that. For schools such as UConn and San Diego State, the tenor of that television payout conversation is expected to be different."
The fact that “San Diego State“ is referenced means this person knows nothing about nothing and is speculating.

Reaction Score
The fact that “San Diego State“ is referenced means this person knows nothing about nothing and is speculating.
The story was written by Pete Thamel. I agree about him mentioning SDSU. I thought that was strange.

GG

Reaction Score
The story was written by Pete Thamel. I agree about him mentioning SDSU. I thought that was strange.
Is he referring to SDSU bc it may join the PAC?

Reaction Score
This is basically the last thing anyone should want to hear. How many times has the school thought we were finally getting the invite we've been waiting for?

This just feels like deja vu
that's been my mantra the whole time. I don't mind people posting their predictions or what conversations they have had with insiders, in fact I welcome it, but I always read them with a lot salt. People and websites can quantify that UConn has a 90% chance of being invited into the Big 12, blah, blah, blah. Until the formal invite is official nothing else matters or is certain.

The most certain thing is uncertainty in conference realignment.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I guess it could be, but the paragraph was about the Big 12.
SDSU is going to the Pac-12. They will go to court with the MW to get a lesser amount.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Any reduced rate will be temporary. How about a clause that says the full rate is accelerated if UConn goes .500 in B12 football. Winning half our conference games would say we arrived.

Reaction Score
I view this (if it does in fact happen) as a protective move for the future of the AD. Simply put being in an AQ football league and being on the right side of a basketball tournament split ensures our future survival.

Even if the money was slightly more even I'd just assume staying in the Big East and football Indy, but I'm not confident something seismic won't happen in the landscape. If and when it does we can't afford to be relegated to D2 status.
Well said.

Reaction Score
There you have it. UConn will be added at a reduced rate. It’s a compromise that will make everyone happy. Yormack will win, the football heavy schools can justify it. UConn hoops and the NyC market is a gold mine. Hurley and Benedict to address it to the boosters on sat. It’s all lining up.
By reduced rate he means for the first several years. Not permanently.

This is normal.

Reaction Score
It obviously depends on how reduced it is. If it's $28mm vs $32mm then whatever. If it's $16mm vs $32mm then that's a different conversation.
??

50% is normal.

Its what ever the op schools took to join some of the P2s. But more on point, this is what the G5s took for the 1st year, and they are not fully paid until after the 3rd year.

Again, this is normal.

Reaction Score
why not? half the battle here is P5 stability
UConn would be the only school in the NCAA so far that agrees to a permanent reduced rate. The only one. It would put them behind their conference brethren in terms of support.

Now, this might be a model for the future, but it's a horrible situation to put yourself there before any other school, to say the least

I can see entire conferences agreeing to differentials, but not just one school.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's about what we are actually worth. If another G5 school gets in ahead of us, the entire upper administration in the school and AD needs to be let go. If Arizona beats us to the punch, it is what it is. If Memphis, SDSU, or USF do, heads need to roll.
I agree 100%! Well, except that ESPN and Fox have decided that we are worth a full share of broadcast contract distributions. But I'm sure you know better than they do.

CL82

Reaction Score
By reduced rate he means for the first several years. Not permanently.

This is normal.
Kind of. What those "reduced rates" have been is a buying for a share of the conference net work, as was the case in the big 10, or a payback for an advance, as was the case when Rutgers join the Big Ten. Neither of those would be applicable with a Connecticut worth join the big 12.

CL82

Reaction Score
??

50% is normal.

Its what ever the op schools took to join some of the P2s. But more on point, this is what the G5s took for the 1st year, and they are not fully paid until after the 3rd year.

Again, this is normal.
If you're talking about the four G5 additions to the big 12, they took a reduced share because ESPN refused to pay for them. It lasts only until the next contract begins, when they will receive a full share. It isn't based on some type of generalized rule that says all new members must accept a reduced share for two years. There are specific facts and circumstances for each situation.

Keep in mind that ESPN and Fox have agreed to pay the big 12 a full share, not a partial share, for Connecticut. Accordingly, the same justification that was used to pay the last four additions a reduced share is not applicable to the addition of Connecticut, just as it is not applicable to the addition of Colorado.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you're talking about the four G5 additions to the big 12, they took a reduced share because ESPN refused to pay for them. It lasts only until the next contract begins, when they will receive a full share. It isn't based on some type of generalized rule that says all new members must accept a reduced share for two years. There are specific facts and circumstances for each situation.

Keep in mind that ESPN and Fox have agreed to pay the big 12 a full share, not a partial share, for Connecticut. Accordingly, the same justification that was used to pay the last four additions a reduced share is not applicable to the addition of Connecticut, just as it is not applicable to the addition of Colorado.
I'm talking about what is customary. The additions to the B1G took much longer to get full shares, including Penn State. The additions to the ACC did the same with their additions.

Who said it was a rule?

I didnt.

Nor is it based on when the next contract begins. It's just based on what conferences typically do. There's always a buy-in.

Reaction Score
Kind of. What those "reduced rates" have been is a buying for a share of the conference net work, as was the case in the big 10, or a payback for an advance, as was the case when Rutgers join the Big Ten. Neither of those would be applicable with a Connecticut worth join the big 12.
The ACC did the same thing to BC. 16 years before they even established a network.

PSU joined the B1G in 1991. Well before a network.

This is all normal.

Hell, even the AAC did it.

Reaction Score
I'm talking about what is customary. The additions to the B1G took much longer to get full shares, including Penn State. The additions to the ACC did the same with their additions.

Who said it was a rule?

I didnt.

Nor is it based on when the next contract begins. It's just based on what conferences typically do. There's always a buy-in.
Taking reduced shares made sense when growth looked exponential.

Now that is looks like there isn't any growth with these TV contracts, taking an initial hit makes much less sense than it did in the past. Especially if the conference is getting paid the full amount for your addition.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
The big 12 would be silly to add us right this second until Oregon, udub, etc commit to the PAC. Then they can finish executing their plan. Hopefully that involves us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom