Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 511 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Heard back from my person inside the athletic department. I’m not going to use the exact words given to me, but I will paraphrase. Anyone going to Vegas in the next few days should bet their mortgage on UConn going to the B12. Cautioned it could be a few tho before it’s announced (days, not minutes or months). I trust this person because they would be kept in the loop about this given their position. Props to @GoKU. He has been spot on and someone y’all should follow and listen to.
This is basically the last thing anyone should want to hear. How many times has the school thought we were finally getting the invite we've been waiting for?

This just feels like deja vu

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score

T.V. contact came back and said they believe Colorado moving is actually a done deal and tomorrow is a formality, believes it’s just Colorado leaving the Pac-12 though. Thinks UConn may be joining them. Reiterated how crazy the move feels.

This feels very key

Reaction Score
Can’t wait for the we should drop football chatter after being left out!

Reaction Score
According to sources, the Big 12 and commissioner Brett Yormark is now targeting the University of Arizona, which would likely mean an invitation to Arizona State University. The University of Connecticut is another school that has been attached to Big 12 expansion talks, but with the Pac-12 losing members the Big 12’s focus is targeting those universities first.

Curtains. We're out.
The SEC will have 16 teams once Texas and Oklahoma join.
CoastAtlantic posted this guy's video yesterday. He says that the Big 12 doesn't have to just add four schools. He says that 17 is one of the magic numbers for scheduling purposes. He explains it starting at 4:15.

Reaction Score
Listening to ESPN College Sports on Sirius this morning. According to them, the B12's dream scenario is to get Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah. If they get those 4 they will stop and then wait until the ACC implodes in a few years to shore up the eastern flank with Pittsburgh and Louisville.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Picture5.png

Reaction Score

Stockholm syndrome describes the psychological condition of a fanbase which identifies with and empathizes with their detractors or abuser during realignment. Stockholm syndrome is rare; according to one FBI study, the condition occurs in about 1 fanbase: UConn.
Storrsholm Syndrome

Reaction Score
Even insiders with hard facts are not to be trusted in this kind of scenario. Any school can shoehorn themselves into UConn's spot (we all remember Louisville).

If I were running Cal-Irvine, I'd start a D1 football team from scratch, and I'd join the Pac12 if they'd have me. I'd use the Rose Bowl or Anaheim Stadium for games.

Reaction Score
From Thamel:

The other Big 12 target that has undergone serious vetting is Connecticut. There's been significant conversation between the sides, and Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark's steadfast belief in the market, the donor support and college basketball being undervalued would align with the Huskies coming aboard. There's also a belief UConn football has turned the corner under Jim Mora after a 6-7 bowl season in 2022.

It's uncertain, however, where the internal support among Big 12 membership to invite UConn to join a league that's anchored by football-forward schools in the Texas footprint stretching north. (Some of which happen to play elite basketball.) For UConn, the monetary difference, even at a reduced rate initially, would appear to be too much to resist. The 11 Big East schools get in the neighborhood of $4 million annually in television money.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A couple of things:

Worrying, crying, getting angry or frustrated, screaming or even punching walls won't do anything. Things could fall into place or they could fall apart. We should have our answer within a few days but as there may be a couple new complications, it may take up to a week or so. It will or it will not happen regardless of how we behave so we may as well relax until we hear the answer.

I personally don't believe that Kliavkoff could have handled this any worse than he has and this is now hurting our chances. He's like a guy trying to sell a load of ice on a hot day, asks for a price beyond what he could reasonably expect and the ice keeps melting as he waits for someone to meet his price. There is less and less reason to remain in the P-12 for most members and evidently (this was stated about Colorado's departure) they can leave earlier than what would be a normal time frame and not be on the hook for a departure fee. This is similar to the Oklahoma land grab from 130+ years ago.

Reaction Score
I don’t have ESPN+ to read this article so I assume this tweet is a quote from within:

There you have it. UConn will be added at a reduced rate. It’s a compromise that will make everyone happy. Yormack will win, the football heavy schools can justify it. UConn hoops and the NyC market is a gold mine. Hurley and Benedict to address it to the boosters on sat. It’s all lining up.

Reaction Score
Yes. Lets not take 20 million, we are perfectly fine with our 5 million. Think. This wouldn't be forever.
It obviously depends on how reduced it is. If it's $28mm vs $32mm then whatever. If it's $16mm vs $32mm then that's a different conversation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom