Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 285 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yes, we were Florida State College until the Buckman Bill of 1905 turned us into Florida State College for Women. It remained that way until the GI bill and 1947 when the school became Florida State University. A CFB team was formed in 1947 despite opposition from UFla. However, before the Buckman Bill we did play CFB for a three year period from 1902. Ga Tech was among the teams played in those early days of the leather helmet era. I read that 1905 was also the year that 19 CFB players died playing the sport nationally.

That unfortunate 1905 season is the reason we currently have the NCAA. President Theodore Roosevelt told the colleges if they didn't do something to clean up the sport and make it safer on the playing field, he was going to shut it down completely. Little did Teddy know what the NCAA was to become over 100 years later.....a mismanaged, corrupt and hopelessly inept body which enjoys non-profit status while it rakes in gazillions.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That unfortunate 1905 season is the reason we currently have the NCAA. President Theodore Roosevelt told the colleges if they didn't do something to clean up the sport and make it safer on the playing field, he was going to shut it down completely. Little did Teddy know what the NCAA was to become over 100 years later.....a mismanaged, corrupt and hopelessly inept body which enjoys non-profit status while it rakes in gazillions.

The Ying to Roosevelt's NPS Yang.

Reaction Score
They've been trying to get into the Ivy for years.

Leaving ECAC Hockey was a weird way to do that then. Unless it's some kind of weird tsundere thing where they're pretending they don't even like you in the hopes that you'll notice them.

Reaction Score
Yes, we were Florida State College until the Buckman Bill of 1905 turned us into Florida State College for Women. It remained that way until the GI bill and 1947 when the school became Florida State University. A CFB team was formed in 1947 despite opposition from UFla. However, before the Buckman Bill we did play CFB for a three year period from 1902. Ga Tech was among the teams played in those early days of the leather helmet era. I read that 1905 was also the year that 19 CFB players died playing the sport nationally.

What I really want to know is why the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Palm Beach area is called South Florida; but the U South Florida is located in Tampa?

Reaction Score
Ask the idiot who located Manhattan College in the Bronx.

That would be JP Morgan.

Manhattan College was originally located in the Financial District in the early 20th century until JP Morgan bought them out of their property for a nice chunk of change. Manhattan College then bought up the land they are currently on in Riverdale and moved the entire campus to the Bronx.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

In that school's defense, Manhattan College was at least founded in Manhattan and later moved to the Bronx shortly after World War I. To my knowledge, USF has never actually been in South Florida.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Seemed like every year someone would ask me why they called the annual Reebok northeast invitational the Reebok Manhattan Invitational if it was held in the Bronx (VanCortland Park.) My pat answer was that when they called it the Reebok Bronx Invitational no one came.

Reaction Score
That would be JP Morgan.

Manhattan College was originally located in the Financial District in the early 20th century until JP Morgan bought them out of their property for a nice chunk of change. Manhattan College then bought up the land they are currently on in Riverdale and moved the entire campus to the Bronx.
This is why I read the Boneyard. I learn something new every time.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Leaving ECAC Hockey was a weird way to do that then. Unless it's some kind of weird tsundere thing where they're pretending they don't even like you in the hopes that you'll notice them.

All of the popular girls tried that with me at my high school. They pretended they didn't like me to get my attention. They even went as far as turning around and walking away when I went up and talked to them. Yup, they were REALLY good at that game at my high school.

Reaction Score
Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the University of Oklahoma

riddler.jpg

Reaction Score

There is absolutely no doubt that the single person who has done the most to destabilise the conference in David Boren. Every time he opens his mouth he puts his foot in it. The wallflower comments were just plain stupid and then the comments that set off this last round of expansion just added to his resume. He has painted himself in a corner and can't figure out what the hell to do.

Reaction Score
For them not to expand after all this would be simply unbelievable. I think the most likely combination would UConn, Cincinnati, and BYU - pick two of the above if they want to show the world that they can at least count to 12 again and regain their namesake. It will be 14 if the Fox vs. ESPN whispers are true - Fox wants an Eastern expansion and ESPN wants cheap properties without supporting the Big 12 long term in which case you expand to 14 to cash in right now.

Reaction Score
Eric Bailey‏@EricBaileyTW
Boren on Big 12 expansion: "I wouldn't take expansion as a given. I wouldn't take it as a sure thing"

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS · 2h2 hours ago
Sigh. Nobody has eight Yes votes yet, apparently.

Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS · 2h2 hours ago
Hey, Texas, jump into the @bigten and let's call it a century, OK?

Reaction Score
Stewart Mandel‏@slmandel
Last week I said it was 60-40 the Big 12 actually expands. In the spirit of Boren's comments, I'm modifying to exactly 50-50.

Dan Wolken
I tweeted this six weeks ago… Not sure anything has changed

Reaction Score
>>Boren said that while the pro rata bumps are motivation for expansion, they're also a concern. "We do have a relationship to maintain, not only short term, but long term with the networks," Boren said. "When you have a partnership and you have a friendship, it isn't just for today, it's long term. And I think you have to think about long-term implications in any action we take. If we were to expand by two teams, four teams, that has financial implications for the networks. I think we have to see if that adds to the long-term stability or not."<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom