Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 233 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
If this ends with Cincy and Houston, it will be a colossal failure.

I have to believe Gundy's thoughts on this is quite prevalent throughout the non Texas world of the BIG 12. There can be no possible way that they let the "Texas 4" become the "Texas 5" without some form of compensation. If going to 4 for expansion is off the table then I see no other way for them to be compensated.

The "northern" school presidents have to be tired of Texas running the show. If they add 2, there is no way Houston can or will be one of them.

Of course they just announced that hot dogs and soda, at the Rent, are now $3, the Diary Bar truck will be at games and all incoming freshman get free tickets to the games and students gets free shuttles to the game. So I guess anything is possible. :D

Reaction Score
I have to believe Gundy's thoughts on this is quite prevalent throughout the non Texas world of the BIG 12. There can be no possible way that they let the "Texas 4" become the "Texas 5" without some form of compensation. If going to 4 for expansion is off the table then I see no other way for them to be compensated.

The "northern" school presidents have to be tired of Texas running the show. If they add 2, there is no way Houston can or will be one of them.

Of course they just announced that hot dogs and soda, at the Rent, are now $3, the Diary Bar truck will be at games and all incoming freshman get free tickets to the games and students gets free shuttles to the game. So I guess anything is possible. :D

$3.00 for a soda AND a dog or $3.00 each??? :D

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The only reason non-Texas schools would presumably vote to add Houston is to get something that they want from Texas and its voting bloc. Cincinnati is an obvious choice if expansion is already on the table, but standing alone, they aren't a big enough carrot to justify ceding more voting power in the Big 12 to the Texas bloc, unless UT is willing to sign a GOR or make some other deal favorable to the Big 12's long-term security. But then why would Oklahoma sign? They matter in football-world too. Unless they're getting assurances from the TV networks that a two-team expansion would be acceptable, and guarantee favorable treatment at contract-renewal time. In which case, Cincinnati might not be the choice at all - it would have to be a long-haul investment, which means re-considering UCF, BYU (despite the issues) and UConn.

Meh. I'm starting to buy into the "smoke screen/no expansion" theory. Why interview 17 schools via video conference, unless you're trying to drive home some kind of a point to certain observers?

I think this is a shakedown of the media partners. The Big12 presidents/ADs can read the writing on the wall, so they are trying to milk as much money out of ESPN/Fox as they can. They don't want 14 teams in the conference, they want more money. Yes, there are certain schools that wanted expansion, but it wasn't majority.

What kept the Big12 teams happy was Texas pushing the idea that FSU, Miami, GT and Clemson were coming once the ACC GoR expired. Now that is off the books, the push for expansion has hit the media. Now you are hearing certain P5 teams want to either come back or go to the Big12. We have heard rumors of Arizona, ASU, UCLA, Colorado, Missouri and Nebraska all have expressed interest is the league when their respective GoRs expire. Who has started these rumors? Texas? ESPN/Fox? And why would they get started? (I assume they are false.)

Reaction Score

Since SyraPitt left, I'm not sure any of us could have envisioned a scenario where Houston stepped over us in conference realignment. Freaking Houston! It's insane.

Reaction Score
McMurphyESPN: Big 12 will hold video conferences w/17 schools; Big 12 expanding by 4 “less & less likely,” sources told @ESPNhttps://post original url/KwGgQFIza5

Sources: Big 12 to talk expansion with 17 schools

If you had any doubts as to why the B12 is in the position it's in, this should slam the door on your doubts. These guys are their own worst enemies. They've snoozed for years and lost teams, and are so slow to agree on anything the rest of the conferences are blowing right by them.

Reaction Score
I do not believe any of this. Everyday there is a different source or rumor that contradicts the last one from the previous day. 17 teams really?? Did they start including the Ivy League now?

Reaction Score
McMurphyESPN: Big 12 will hold video conferences w/17 schools; Big 12 expanding by 4 “less & less likely,” sources told @ESPNhttps://post original url/KwGgQFIza5

Sources: Big 12 to talk expansion with 17 schools

Congratulations to ESPN. The decade long triggering of events by them concluding this year with giving the ACC network for nothing and trashing the candidates the Big 12 was considering, will seemingly finally kill off UConn once and for all. No surprise they are the ones with this scoop.

We had one hope left for a safe and stable home and that ended when ESPN gave the ACC a network without a wink and a nod to make them take us as #16, a harmless proposition seeing we A. Belong there and B. they will need a 16th someday. Now we are at the mercy of dysfunctional yahoos who simply don't know what their doing. I would take the Big 12 in a heartbeat over the AAC but no one can say at this point that they are not wholly unimpressed with how they have handled this expansion. They have made all the wrong moves.

Reaction Score
17 schools? What the..
This conference is a joke and while we can't do it because of our desperation it would be funny as hell if UConn pulls it's name from consideration because of the clown show that is the Big 12.
Of course if we get one of the two invites I take it all back!

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 7m7 minutes ago
Video presentations by schools to Big 12's Bob Bowlsby should run a couple of hours each. Told at least 14 schools. ESPN reported 17 today.

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 4m4 minutes ago
The 14 have all publicly expressed interest. If there are 17, it could be from a group of San Diego St, UNLV, N. Illinois and Fresno St.

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 2m2 minutes ago
Told that 12 or 14 both remain options for conference, zero far less likely. Fourteen means more $$$$, bigger footprint, more stability.

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 1m1 minute ago
Told 12 is a safe middle ground and means that Big 12 feels reasonably confident about its future and possible new media interest come 2024.

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 11m11 minutes ago
What I'm hearing on Big 12 expansion: the timetable (subject to change) is mid September to early October.

Reaction Score
17 schools? What the..
This conference is a joke and while we can't do it because of our desperation it would be funny as hell if UConn pulls it's name from consideration because of the clown show that is the Big 12.
Of course if we get one of the two invites I take it all back!

I think its the 10 BIG12 schools, plus the 7 candidates. Not 17 candidates..

Reaction Score
17 schools....the big 12 is obviously trying to 'play nice' and nothing more. It's higher education -- there are obviously a lot of connections between the big 12 institutions and the schools mentioned in the ESPN article. The best way to not piss everyone off whose on the outside is to give each school a 'shot' as to not burn bridges and to ensure that those representing the Tulanes can say "look, I got us a seat at the table."

ESPN is doing everything it can to make the Big 12 expansion process look like a clown show -- and that's really easy to do simply by focusing on the Big 12 internal dysfunction and the fact that 13/14 out of those 17 schools make most P5 member schools laugh and / or puke.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Congratulations to ESPN. The decade long triggering of events by them concluding this year with giving the ACC network for nothing and trashing the candidates the Big 12 was considering, will seemingly finally kill off UConn once and for all. No surprise they are the ones with this scoop.

We had one hope left for a safe and stable home and that ended when ESPN gave the ACC a network without a wink and a nod to make them take us as #16, a harmless proposition seeing we A. Belong there and B. they will need a 16th someday. Now we are at the mercy of dysfunctional yahoos who simply don't know what their doing. I would take the Big 12 in a heartbeat over the AAC but no one can say at this point that they are not wholly unimpressed with how they have handled this expansion. They have made all the wrong moves.

It does prove one thing. Either nobody from Gov. Malloy on down in the Conn. state government has lifted a finger to influence ESPN in UConn's favor, or if anybody actually has, ESPN told them to take a hike.

Reaction Score

If this ends with Cincy & Houston, then IIRC the AAC's media contract is void.

If UConn doesn't immediately tell the AAC that it's AT LEAST taking it's T3 rights back, we have a colossal problem with our leadership in Storrs.

JMO

Reaction Score
HMMM...

Maybe the B12 is going to expand by 17 to "fully exercise" the prorata increase provision of it's contract.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
My head is going to explode if I have to think about this into October. My angst for ESPN is rising exponentially by the day.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Who is sitting through 17 two hour presentations? Calling shenanigans on the whole idea unless 15 of the teams are pitching to the dining hall staff.

Reaction Score
It does prove one thing. Either nobody from Gov. Malloy on down in the Conn. state government has lifted a finger to influence ESPN in UConn's favor, or if anybody actually has, ESPN told them to take a hike.
Malloy is a lame duck. The tax credits can't be rescinded. He is impotent as can be in this situation. I don't understand where the idea that he could influence anything comes from. Besides, his whole focus is on hitching on to the Hillary train. He doesn't have anytime for UConn's P5 fate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lovely. I guess WHY NOT?
died-finger_wallpaper_qqgys.jpg

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the AAC TV deal becomes void if 1 or 2 members left from the group of UConn, Cincinnati, Houston and maybe Temple?

In the event that Cincinnati and Houston leave, it's may day. At that point I think we'd have enough sway to remain in the AAC as football only and try to get into the Big East for hoops.

I've always been a proponent of staying the course in the AAC but this would be enough to end that.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Matt Schonvisky ‏@MattSchonvisky 2h2 hours ago

.@jaromjordan Bowlsby said if they reached out they would at least listen to presentations. serious candidates had campus visits

Not sure who @jaromjordan is but Matt must know if he re-tweeted him. I believe we had a B12 campus visit within the last week or so, but it's hard to know who to believe anymore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom