Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 107 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I'm sure they have multiple contingency plans if vote is rejected. A Tweet isn't going to influence the B1G or SEC.

Typical. Big 12 media people suddenly speaking favorably aobut UConn, KState univ pres tweet about talking with Herbst, etc.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Typical. Big 12 media people suddenly speaking favorably aobut UConn, KState univ pres tweet about talking with Herbst, etc.
What do mean by typical? I'm not drinking the phantom koolaid? I hope for something a little more solid than what we've seen so far.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What do mean by typical? I'm not drinking the phantom koolaid? I hope for something a little more solid than what we've seen so far.
Ignore the period, it's a typo. I meant the normal/standard Big 12 media people.

Reaction Score
Jon Solomon ‏@JonSolomonCBS 3h3 hours ago
Will NCAA vote this week force Big 12 to expand for conference championship game? http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ce-big-12-to-expand-for-conference-title-game

“There is a standard that’s been set, and there are four conferences among the five that meet that standard,” he said. “But there’s an openness to see if there’s an approach that works for the Big 12 in its current circumstance.”

Bowlsby said the Big 12 could go to two, five-team divisions as the Big Ten proposal would require. But the Big 12 wants to avoid that because its two best teams could be on one side of the division.

“What would have been the best matchup was already played within divisional play,” Bowlsby said of such a scenario. “I'm not convinced that a full round robin isn't the most viable and most reliable way to determine your champion.

So basically, 4 of the P5 conferences had made the investment and gone through the pain of being able to have a conference championship game involving 12+ teams divided into 2 divisions. Yet, Bowlsby and the XII instead of seeking a compromise 1) don't want to expand and 2) want to have Texas and Oklahoma in the same division basically trying to assure itself that Oklahoma and Texas will be the championship game each year. hate to break it to him; but, the Long Horns have not been the XII's best team in some time. I can't see how this is going to end well for the XII.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Jon Solomon ‏@JonSolomonCBS 3h3 hours ago
Will NCAA vote this week force Big 12 to expand for conference championship game? http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ce-big-12-to-expand-for-conference-title-game
“What would have been the best matchup was already played within divisional play,” Bowlsby said of such a scenario. “I'm not convinced that a full round robin isn't the most viable and most reliable way to determine your champion.

Full round robin is the most viable and reliable way to determine your champion...which is why you don't get to subvert that with a conference championship game.

Reaction Score
So basically, 4 of the P5 conferences had made the investment and gone through the pain of being able to have a conference championship game involving 12+ teams divided into 2 divisions. Yet, Bowlsby and the XII instead of seeking a compromise 1) don't want to expand and 2) want to have Texas and Oklahoma in the same division basically trying to assure itself that Oklahoma and Texas will be the championship game each year. hate to break it to him; but, the Long Horns have not been the XII's best team in some time. I can't see how this is going to end well for the XII.

Totally agree with your point regarding why on earth would the other four let the fifth get a "free pass". Not gonna happen.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

In that story:

B12 staying at 10 is, on balance, good for UConn IMHO. Avoids the risk of being left out again while potentially Cincy gets in the P5, triggering a look-in to the ESPN contract (less money).

Reaction Score
In that story:

B12 staying at 10 is, on balance, good for UConn IMHO. Avoids the risk of being left out again while potentially Cincy gets in the P5, triggering a look-in to the ESPN contract (less money).

I thought that it had be determined by the other conferences if they could have a 10 team conference championship?

Reaction Score
I thought that it had be determined by the other conferences if they could have a 10 team conference championship?
From what is coming out on twitter from some of the B-12 beat writers looks like there may have been a compromise reached before the vote.

Reaction Score
So all along the NCAA made you have 12 for a championship game and now they're changing it for the Big 12 because they don't want to force the Big 12 to expand? Even though other conferences had to expand to get a CCG - namely the ACC right?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So all along the NCAA made you have 12 for a championship game and now they're changing it for the Big 12 because they don't want to force the Big 12 to expand? Even though other conferences had to expand to get a CCG - namely the ACC right?
No, all along the NCAA made you have 12 for a championship game and now they're changing it for the Big 12 because of Conference Realignment Rule #1.

Reaction Score

Agree. The game being played has too much emphasis on $$, egos, and tit-for-tat. If there is some sort of compromise, then it must also include some other elements that make it "fair" for the other 4 conferences.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
No, all along the NCAA made you have 12 for a championship game and now they're changing it for the Big 12 because of Conference Realignment Rule #1.
I'm more worried about Rule 1's impact if the B12 expands than if it doesn't.

Reaction Score
Even if this is true, this does not solve the Big 12s problems. If the conference champion keeps getting overlooked or if OU starts sniffing elsewhere, expansion is back on the table.

Reaction Score
That "compromise" sounds like a terrible idea for any conference ( to include the SEC, Big10 or Pac 10 ) who is already split in 2 divisions. Consider a scenario where OSU is the #1 rated Big10 team and MSU is the second highest rated team in the BIg10. However since they are on the same division OSU goes on to play a far lower rated team (maybe an Iowa or Wisconsin) who won the other division in the Big10 CCG. Meanwhile the Big12 is able to always insure their 2 highest rated team meet in their CCG. If it comes down to strength of schedule or "quality wins" for that final spot in the playoff the Big12 has an advantage.

Reaction Score
How is that a compromise? That is the Big 12's original proposal.
I dont know what the original Big 12 proposal was... did it include some sort of round robin scheduling to avoid the ccg and the minimum required teams per division?

Reaction Score
The "compromise" is the Big12 has to play their 2 top ranked team in CCG. The original Big12 proposal did not specify how the 2 teams would be selected so theoretically the Big12 could have pick any 2 they wanted for the CCG. That said, If the Big12 gets to play a CCG with 10 without any divisions they have an advantage over the other P5.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The compromise will probably be something on the order of the Big XII will add at least two programs for football and get its CCG, but will be able to pick divisions to their own device, thereby separating Oklahoma and Texas in opposing divisions.

Reaction Score

The vote has not taken place yet, so it is all speculation. Even if things went that way, it does not address all of the XII's issues, primarily limited footprint and the lack of a TV network. OU is still likely to bolt.

That said, Rule #1 will apply.

Reaction Score
I still don't see why the other for P5 conferences would let the fifth get a special arrangement... here is a good point posted in a comment section:

"The Big12 will have a huge advantage for the playoffs if the above proposal goes through. The conferences currently in a 2 division format (the ACC, Big10, SEC, etc..) cannot insure their top 2 ranked team play in their CCG. For example, FSU and Clemson are in the same division in the ACC and OSU and MSU are in the same division in the Big10 so they by design they cannot play in the CCG even if they are the 2 highest ranked team in the conference.

If it comes down to "strength of schedule" or "quality wins" for that last spot in the playoff, the Big12 has an advantage since it always can match its 2 best teams.

To give this kind of advantage to the Big12 the other conferences must really not want the possibility of expansion."

The last point the poster made is imho right on point --- and I just can't see the other conferences being that dead set against expansion.

Reaction Score
I still don't see why the other for P5 conferences would let the fifth get a special arrangement... here is a good point posted in a comment section:

"The Big12 will have a huge advantage for the playoffs if the above proposal goes through. The conferences currently in a 2 division format (the ACC, Big10, SEC, etc..) cannot insure their top 2 ranked team play in their CCG. For example, FSU and Clemson are in the same division in the ACC and OSU and MSU are in the same division in the Big10 so they by design they cannot play in the CCG even if they are the 2 highest ranked team in the conference.

If it comes down to "strength of schedule" or "quality wins" for that last spot in the playoff, the Big12 has an advantage since it always can match its 2 best teams.

To give this kind of advantage to the Big12 the other conferences must really not want the possibility of expansion."

The last point the poster made is imho right on point --- and I just can't see the other conferences being that dead set against expansion.
The B-12 has never been against splitting into 2 divisions to have a CCG with 10 teams...if I'm not mistaken that may have been why they originally asked for deregulation. It's the ACC that wants to pick who plays in the ACC Championship game..that's why Delaney and the B1G added that addendum about 2 divisions. It was a direct shot at the ACC...not the B-12. It just works better with 2 6 team divisions instead of 2 5 team divisions.

Reaction Score
McMurphyESPN 8:11pm via Tweetbot for iΟS
There had been previous reports to contrary but Mountain West commish Craig Thompson told me his league has “no interest” in expanding

Reaction Score
The only compromise that I can see would be to allow the Big XII to split into two 5-team divisions and have a CCG. The Big XII would not have to expand, but it would have to let its division champions play in the CCG, same as every other conference.

Allowing the Big XII to pick its two best teams for the CCG would give it an edge over the other P5 conferences, I'd be surprised if that were approved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom