Key Texas Booster Ticked Off Over Strong | The Boneyard

Key Texas Booster Ticked Off Over Strong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Of course Texas' decision was bound to tick off some of their boosters. But they went large on this one.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...bs-bashes-texas-longhorns-charlie-strong-hire

Longtime booster Red McCombs is not a fan of Texas' decision to hire coach Charlie Strong away from Louisville, calling it a "kick in the face" during a radio interview Monday.

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

McCombs, the former owner of the San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets and Minnesota Vikings and co-founder of Clear Channel Communications, said on "The Blitz with Dat Nguyen and Jason Minnix" that he was stunned to learn Strong was the choice to replace Mack Brown.

Texas named its McCombs School of Business after the benefactor, and he has a statue inside Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. McCombs has donated more than $100 million to UT and is a close friend to Brown.

Reaction Score
Wow. Guess ol' Red was pissed they couldn't get Saban. When you have a crapload of money like that I guess you don't have to worry about sounding racist. I think that card gets played too often, but this is one case where people might have a point if they call Red on it.

Red sounds like the CT HS FB coaches assn types who were defending Pasqualoni. Has he not seen what Sumlin is doing at A&M?

Reaction Score
Of course Texas' decision was bound to tick off some of their boosters. But they went large on this one.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...bs-bashes-texas-longhorns-charlie-strong-hire

Longtime booster Red McCombs is not a fan of Texas' decision to hire coach Charlie Strong away from Louisville, calling it a "kick in the face" during a radio interview Monday.

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

McCombs, the former owner of the San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets and Minnesota Vikings and co-founder of Clear Channel Communications, said on "The Blitz with Dat Nguyen and Jason Minnix" that he was stunned to learn Strong was the choice to replace Mack Brown.

Texas named its McCombs School of Business after the benefactor, and he has a statue inside Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. McCombs has donated more than $100 million to UT and is a close friend to Brown.

What a doosh.

Reaction Score
Wow. Guess ol' Red was pissed they couldn't get Saban. When you have a crapload of money like that I guess you don't have to worry about sounding racist. I think that card gets played too often, but this is one case where people might have a point if they call Red on it.

Red sounds like the CT HS FB coaches assn types who were defending Pasqualoni. Has he not seen what Sumlin is doing at A&M?

Look I think the guy is an idiot know nothing but what about that sounds racist?

Reaction Score
Look I think the guy is an idiot know nothing but what about that sounds racist?

Nothing sounds 'racist'; however, if you look at Texas' history ( case in point Ernie Davis performance for Syracuse vs. them years ago now ) you really couldn't see them hiring an Afrian American head coach anytime soon bro. My opinion and not because I happen to be African American myself. This guy is just one that is indirectly voicing his displeasure... and, you gotta ask this question, was Strong the #1 option? or #2 option? or #3 option? probably not.. probably not even their 4th option...

Quite frankly I'm glad dude is breaking the color barrier in that role in Austin TX... I pray he does well...

pj

Reaction Score
Strong certainly has a great resume; but it's not a surprise that some Texas people think that, as a premier college football destination, they should have their pick of coaches. They were hoping for Saban. Anyone else would be a disappointment in comparison. They'll get over it. In two years their attitude will be solely based on Strong's performance.

Reaction Score
Strong is a great coach for a school based in FLA (Ex. University of FLA). For Texas, I am not too sure since he has to rebuild his recruiting ties in that state. Then again, he is at UT so it might not be too hard to recruit.

That being said, this booster is a racist a**hole. A coordinator? Strong already proved he can be a successful HC so why the coordinator comment? Anyway, they got turned down by guys like Saban and Mora. They got Strong so they should be happy. He might fail but he is the best available for them right now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sounds like everyone is hitting on what was my initial impression.

The guy is a multi-billionaire who co-founded Clear channel, has owned two separate professional franchises, has donated over $100M to the school, has the business school named after him and has a statue of himself inside the stadium.

He doesn't think like us, he probably hasn't talked to anyone like us within the past decade.

Arrogance, hubris, out of touch? Probably all of them. But arrogant, out of touch people with his checkbook and connections make decisions and fund decisions.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

I bet Ole Red would have been much more happy with a good ole boy that "looked" like he does.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
We don't know if he's a racist, but surely sounds like it... "great position coach, maybe a coordinator". If Red doesn't want to be labeled a racist by some, then he needs to back up that statement with facts and figures. Strong did plenty well with Louisville and I'm sure with Texas's resources he could do even better -- now here I am defending Charlie Strong - WTF!

Reaction Score

I don't know. But the guy flat out wins bowl games. He is at least as qualified as Mack Brown was, and I doubt this guy would ever say that Mack Brown would make a pretty position coach (which is two steps down).

I would be interested in hearing why he thinks Strong is not qualified.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
As a bleeding heart Berkeley liberal I absolutely understand how you could construe his comments as racist. However, I think it also possible to construe it as he doesn't think Strong is a big enough name for UT (you can bet your ass there are lots of people who agree) and was just venting his frustration that they didn't land Saban, Mora, Harbaugh, etc.

After donating $100,000,000 i sure as heck would be pissed off they didn't get the coach I wanted. In comparison to the coaches they were after Strong would have been more preferable as one of their coordinators.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
"great position coach, maybe a coordinator". WTF!

That's the money quote on the racism angle. If he said that "Charlie is a great coach but here at TX we expect to hire someone with NCs or Superbowl wins and he just isn't at that level yet..." he would be fine.

When he says that a guy with more BCS wins in the last 2 years than TX has last 8 is only "a position coach" , he sounds stupid or racist. Based on his success, I don't think he is stupid.

I get that TX wanted Saban or Lombardi or Shula or Bear Bryant, but this is bad.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't know. But the guy flat out wins bowl games. He is at least as qualified as Mack Brown was, and I doubt this guy would ever say that Mack Brown would make a pretty position coach (which is two steps down).

I would be interested in hearing why he thinks Strong is not qualified.

Piggy backing on CAHUSKY's point, it's probably because McCombs hadn't ever heard of Charlie Strong before two days ago.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Piggy backing on CAHUSKY's point, it's probably because McCombs hadn't ever heard of Charlie Strong before two days ago.

I don't think Strong is a good fit for TX because of his personality. The coach at TX has to deal with the Billy & Bobs as much as the Jimmy and Joes.

I get the feeling Strong wants to let his coaching speak for himself. Don't think thats enough at TX unless he starts winning NCs stat.

If he wins a NC he'll get a pass.... for about 8 months

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't think Strong is a good fit for TX because of his personality. The coach at TX has to deal with the Billy & Bobs as much as the Jimmy and Joes.

I get the feeling Strong wants to let his coaching speak for himself. Don't think thats enough at TX unless he starts winning NCs stat.

Not just Billy and Bob or BillyBob for that matter, but he has to deal with Red too.

Love to be a fly on the wall when those two meet for the first time.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
That's the money quote on the racism angle. If he said that "Charlie is a great coach but here at TX we expect to hire someone with NCs or Superbowl wins and he just isn't at that level yet..." he would be fine.
That's exactly what he should have said.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
....plus...unless he puts on more weight, he shouldn't be running between the tackles.

Oh...wrong McCombs?

Reaction Score

If he doesn't win early he is going to be under great pressure very quickly.

Reaction Score
Not sure how this is racist. The guy may be, but I don't see how his quotes are. Dismissive, yep, out of touch, sure, but it sounds just like Burton's outburst about Pasqualoni...

Except Burton was right. Charlie Strong has had very recent success and is a coach on the rise. Pretty much the antithesis of PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom