Key Metrics (2/12) | The Boneyard

Key Metrics (2/12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know this is a bad loss, but the metrics aren't necessarily reflecting how we all feel this morning:

RPI: 46
BPI: 26
KenPom: 22

While the sky might be falling, if we can take care of business against Tulsa and win one of two against SMU and Cincy, we are in decent shape. Win all three of those games, and I think we are squarely in the tournament (given that we don't slip up against USF or UCF at the end of the season).

Reaction Score
It is a bad loss in the sense of how we closed the game, but it is not a bad loss in terms of our resume for the NCAAT. Temple is creeping into the Top 50 of the RPI and is currently in the field per Lunardi as a 11 seed (they are not solely in as the AAC leader)

He has Tulsa in the first four out so big game for them and us on Saturday.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
It is a bad loss in the sense of how we closed the game, but it is not a bad loss in terms of our resume for the NCAAT. Temple is creeping into the Top 50 of the RPI and is currently in the field per Lunardi as a 11 seed (they are not solely in as the AAC leader)

He has Tulsa in the first four out so big game for them and us on Saturday.

would that be 4 AAC teams? Us Tulsa Cincy Temple? Or is Cincy out?

Reaction Score
would that be 4 AAC teams? Us Tulsa Cincy Temple? Or is Cincy out?
He had Cincy as the last team in, so 3 AAC teams in with Tulsa right on the outside.

Reaction Score
After last night, we're probably looking at a ten seed come the next bracketology? Maybe we stay the same with a win Saturday.

Drew

Reaction Score
He had Cincy as the last team in, so 3 AAC teams in with Tulsa right on the outside.

wow thats actually pretty good for the conference. I wonder if this update was before the Tulsa win @SMU the other night or not. You have to figure if SMU was eligible they'd be in and that would be 5 bids potentially for the American. Essentially half the conference.

Reaction Score
After last night, we're probably looking at a ten seed come the next bracketology? Maybe we stay the same with a win Saturday.
He had us drop from an 8 to a 9 after last nights loss

wow thats actually pretty good for the conference. I wonder if this update was before the Tulsa win @SMU the other night or not. You have to figure if SMU was eligible they'd be in and that would be 5 bids potentially for the American. Essentially half the conference.
It was after they beat SMU,

Joe Lunardi ‏@ESPNLunardi 13h13 hours agoDrexel Hill, PA
Joe Lunardi Retweeted Tyler Devereux

First Four Out

Tyler Devereux @tyler_devereux
@ESPNLunardi Tulsa in now after winning @ SMU?

Reaction Score
1-3 against the Top 50
5-7 against the Top 100

Is that really the resume of an NCAA Tournament team?

Reaction Score
Just my humble opinion here . . .

. . . the thought that the AAC gets 4 teams in the tourni is wild fantasy.

Reaction Score
1-3 against the Top 50
5-7 against the Top 100

Is that really the resume of an NCAA Tournament team?
@Tenspro2002

This year it is. People have to start looking at the bubble THIS YEAR, not a typical year or years past. And remember you have two teams in SMU and Louisville who won't be in the field. So when you see UConn with an RPI of 46 this morning, it is really 44. Is it a great resume? No, but it is currently a tournament resume for the 2015-2016 season.

Reaction Score
It's not a bad loss for Tournament resume, that much we agree on. What's bad is we should have won and didn't close it out. If we can't close out Temple up 12 with 5 minutes to go, how are we supposed to beat Tulsa (who has our number and dials it whenever they want), SMU (who will rape us) and Cincinnati on the road?! We could very well be 0-4 going into match ups with Houston (hold your breath on that one) and ECU before another tilt with SMU.

Reaction Score
Just my humble opinion here . . .

. . . the thought that the AAC gets 4 teams in the tourni is wild fantasy.
I agree with this, I think they can and may get 3, but barring something funny happening I cannot see all four getting in.

Reaction Score
The problem is that this team can't win close games. If the team can't finish, what are our chances of making the tournament? And even if we do, our chances of a decent run are very low if we can't win close games?

That's the problem.

Drew

Reaction Score
I agree with this, I think they can and may get 3, but barring something funny happening I cannot see all four getting in.

thinking the only way 4 American teams get in is if UConn/Cincy/Temple all finish extremely strongly and Tulsa wins the AAC tournament

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes of course they can still get in. I never thought that this was a "must win" game. That's not my concern. My concern is that this team has now lost two games to a Temple team that it is clearly superior too, largely because it has no clue how to win a close game, and no player who seems willing and able to assume leadership in crunch time. As a result, the chance of making a real run in the tournament is very low. I was hoping for a sweet 16 or elite 8 from this squad, and they have the pure talent to do it, just not the mental make-up it seems. Ollie seems unable to change that unfortunately.

Reaction Score
@Tenspro2002

This year it is. People have to start looking at the bubble THIS YEAR, not a typical year or years past. And remember you have two teams in SMU and Louisville who won't be in the field. So when you see UConn with an RPI of 46 this morning, it is really 44. Is it a great resume? No, but it is currently a tournament resume for the 2015-2016 season.

This is exactly it. While UConn may not have that many "signature" wins, we don't have any bad losses, which is the anomaly in college basketball this year. The majority of teams all in the field have one or two bad losses, whereas UConn has none. In the past, UConn's resume wouldn't be that great, but in the 2015-2016 season, it is a tournament team.

Reaction Score
This is exactly it. While UConn may not have that many "signature" wins, we don't have any bad losses, which is the anomaly in college basketball this year. The majority of teams all in the field have one or two bad losses, whereas UConn has none. In the past, UConn's resume wouldn't be that great, but in the 2015-2016 season, it is a tournament team.

Yup, our worst loss from a RPI perspective is to #65 Gonzaga on a neutral court. Every team near the bubble has at least one loss worse than that.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It's not a bad loss for Tournament resume, that much we agree on. What's bad is we should have won and didn't close it out. If we can't close out Temple up 12 with 5 minutes to go, how are we supposed to beat Tulsa (who has our number and dials it whenever they want), SMU (who will rape us) and Cincinnati on the road?! We could very well be 0-4 going into match ups with Houston (hold your breath on that one) and ECU before another tilt with SMU.

How does Tulsa have our number? We beat them twice last season, including an absolute beatdown at home.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Glass half empty. If we can build a 12 point lead late in the 2nd half and dominate a tourney caliber team on the road defensively for 30+ minutes, surely we can make some adjustments to ensure a lack of focus doesn't cost us in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom