Key fob replacement? | The Boneyard

Key fob replacement?

Reaction Score
Anyone have experience with getting key fob replaced? I'm sure dealership will be a ripoff. Is calling a local locksmith the way to go?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Have only done it at the dealership. It’s an encrypted wireless signal. I’m not sure it can be done elsewhere and mapped to your car. I replace the batteries myself though.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Warranty should cover one or two lost fobs. Out of pocket I think they're btw 200 to 600 bucks. Probably at the lower end.

Reaction Score
Did one myself a while ago, maybe search YouTube, there's a video for everything there. dealer has no secret code to do it.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
My wife had a dead battery on her Accord key fob last month. The screw was completely stripped. I bought a battery and she took it to Schaller. They managed to get the fob open and replaced the battery for free.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hardware stores or local locksmiths can do most fobs much cheaper than dealerships.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I ordered one from the Mazda OEM site and had the dealer program it. I think the fob was like $80 and the service was like $200. And my wife was really mad.

That is something to remember when you see a key fob way below market.

It comes unformatted and the programming cost is the majority of the total cost.

Reaction Score
The timing stinks because dealership is closed as is mechanic. Trying to contact a Mobil locksmith because it's my only car key and can't get in the car. This is probably going to be an expensive mistake.

Reaction Score
Ace in canton ct can do it and sometimes has coupons in their flyer

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The timing stinks because dealership is closed as is mechanic. Trying to contact a Mobil locksmith because it's my only car key and can't get in the car. This is probably going to be an expensive mistake.

Does your Fob not have a physical key built in? Or did you straight up lose it?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
i have 2 cars with one fob left each and have been too cheap to get another done. Living on the edge.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Ohhhh…..this is a more immediate problem.

Yeah, you might need the dealer tomorrow.

For now, do you have AAA?

Reaction Score
I may be completely imagining this, but I believe that, at one time, you could call the car manufacturer and, if you can prove to them who you are and give them the VIN #, they can possibly open the car remotely by sending a signal through your phone while it is being held next to the door.

Reaction Score
Warranty should cover one or two lost fobs. Out of pocket I think they're btw 200 to 600 bucks. Probably at the lower end.
I paid 150 when turning in a lease with a missing fob

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I may be completely imagining this, but I believe that, at one time, you could call the car manufacturer and, if you can prove to them who you are and give them the VIN #, they can possibly open the car remotely by sending a signal through your phone while it is being held next to the door.
People are supposedly stealing cars around here by using a device that boosts the fob signal from inside your house to the driveway to start cars so probably possible. Lifestar could send a signal to open your doors I think.

Reaction Score
Ohhhh…..this is a more immediate problem.

Yeah, you might need the dealer tomorrow.

For now, do you have AAA?
Got a mobile locksmith to come out. I now have a fob to start the car but the car won't lock. He is coming back out tomorrow morning to complete the job. $285, ugh. This has not been a fun day.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Got a mobile locksmith to come out. I now have a fob to start the car but the car won't lock. He is coming back out tomorrow morning to complete the job. $285, ugh. This has not been a fun day.

Ow.

If you don’t have AAA, this is a good reminder why you should.

Reaction Score
I could have helped with a Non-Key Fob. I know a guy in West Virginia who is a expert.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
People are supposedly stealing cars around here by using a device that boosts the fob signal from inside your house to the driveway to start cars so probably possible. Lifestar could send a signal to open your doors I think.

There is truth to that statement which is why it's recommended you store your keys in a drawer or a metal box if you live on an area where this is an issue.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Anyone have experience with getting key fob replaced? I'm sure dealership will be a ripoff. Is calling a local locksmith the way to go?
You can’t unlock and start with your phone? Time for an upgrade.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom