Kevin Ollie killed the momentum. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie killed the momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Nobody saying he's not a good Coach, still need more time to say that either way. We're all so used to JC'S style, need to see what Ollie'S is before we see how he works officials etc. I think if he just yells at ref and not toss papers, we continue the run. Definitely a momentum killer.
Really? Have you ever coached at a high level? I have. The call on JA was pure crap, it was a touch foul at best BUT to call it when the momentum was swinging was/is a wrong thing to do by ant official at that stage of the game, if its blatant yes, but touch foul, no, unless JA continued to do that.
KO did not lose the game. the game was lost in the first half when Gibbs, Miller, Purvis and AB decided it was a vacation day in NYC rather than a work night.
KO was frustrated, I've been there, done that.
Until you are in his shoes.....................
KO has made mistakes but this was not one he made with premeditated action - it was reaction
Speaking of reaction, the players in white could have used some reactionary tactics on defense all night.
And for all those dolts who say "what does he teach/do in practice" - I am positive he teaches at both an acceptable level in both content and style, within the areas of tactics and execution BUT look who he is working with - he has no bench so these guys work against crap every day - Maryland seems to have studs in their 1-10 players.
JC had that luxury but the recent loss in recruitment has hurt them - think that doesn't make a difference?
KO is not the reason - lack of a PG (JAA will be there real soon), lack of a leader and a bunch of guys with a lax attitude is part of the problem.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Or the two missed layups by Adams that would've cut to 4 with a minute left.
He needs to work on his left hand. People pointed it out in his high school highlight videos, and it got real last night. Finishing on the left side of the rim with your right hand artificially raises the difficulty level.

Reaction Score
Ollie did something stupid. He can't do that and has to learn how to effectively work officials earlier in the game.

But there is no doubt that for the first time in a while, in the close games against good teams, tonight and vs Syracuse, we are not getting the calls. Check that. We are not getting any calls. The officiating feels one sides and the stats indicate so.

The only reason you call that on Jalen Adams at that point in the game after a team cut a 20 pt deficit to 3 is to save Maryland's skin. Which it did. And while Ollie can't lose it like that there is something going on with us when it comes to the officials. Feels like since Ollie has been coach we are on short end of the calls. He has been very subdued and was probably holding it all in since the Syracuse 2nd half.
Thank yo. Finally someone pointed out that it is a foul you don't call at that point of the game. In any event, let's focus and protest the complete disparity in the number of fouls called. And please don't give me the old line that they drove inside and we didn't . Not true in this game, at least in the second Half.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
But i can't understand everyone killing Gibbs on here over and over and nobody says a word about purvis who is outrageously inconsistent and out of control.

Purvis is a decent player. And he can make some plays. But I don't see why his starting position and 25-30 min of playing time is guaranteed. Sadly we just don't have anyone better.

What does Gibbs offer that Purvis doesn't? Maybe a tick higher on the 3pt shooting? Purvis is stronger, quicker, better to the basket, a better leaper, probably passer, and most importantly, a much better defender. I'm not sure if Gibbs can play defense or not, because I've yet to see him do it.

Reaction Score
The ironic thing is: if Ollie has any kind of a sideline presence, works the officials at all throughout the preceding 38 minutes, they probably don't call that foul on Adams in the first place.

He is completely out of his depth when it comes to managing the officials.

Yep been saying this since the Atlantis trip. Maybe work the officials more during the game like everyone else instead of being their friends then you won't blow up after keeping everything in?

Reaction Score
I figured this was as good a spot to chime in. Wow! You lost respect on that?!?! I'd hate to be a family member or friend of yours and dare say make a mistake! Egad!

KO is a class guy. Now was that a bad time to lose your cool? H*ll yes! Did he cost them the game? No. Trimble was already going to the line, though I think it was a 1:1. If my memory serves me, didn't he hit the first FT but miss the second? If that was the case, we would have been down 2 possessions, though still some solid time left. That T definitely didn't help, but the ref's call was absurd since first of all, you don't make that kind of call late, and second of all, I don't think it was even a foul.

Lastly, the team put themselves in that horrible hole to begin with, down, what, 20 at one point? They actually outscored MD by 6 in the 2nd half.

KO usually does a good job of keeping his cool. I think he's earned a Mulligan. Let's hope he's learned from this. We all make mistakes in the heat of battle, and losing respect for someone in this type of situation seems like an overreaction to me, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
respect was probably the wrong choice of word.

Reaction Score
Obviously Blaney retiring has had a much bigger effect then anyone of us could of imagined. We haven't looked good or won a title since he left. Free Blaney

Reaction Score
Maybe Blaney would have whispered to KO to call a timeout when we were going down by 17 in the first half. I love KO but he isn't managing this team. He is allowing them to figure things out on their own. But they aren't pros. And aren't figuring things out. He needs to invest that emotion, when he swiped those papers, at the refs towards the players.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
He needs to learn to just kick the signboards like Calhoun used to. It'll come with experience!

I'll start with the toughness, then maybe a few rebounding drills, and topped with an offensive set that doesn't end with an ally-oop, which the all damn world sees coming now

Kevin has a lot to learn still, and there is simply no comparison at this point in time

Reaction Score
How many people on hear complain about rebounding but want a four guard line-up. Facey at center or Brimah with four guards will not help that.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Kevin has a lot to learn still, and there is simply no comparison at this point in time
So true - it took St. Jim 27 years to win his first title. Only took HCKO two!

Thanks for bringing much-needed perspective to this board.

Reaction Score
The ironic thing is: if Ollie has any kind of a sideline presence, works the officials at all throughout the preceding 38 minutes, they probably don't call that foul on Adams in the first place.

He is completely out of his depth when it comes to managing the officials.
I agree 100%. This to me is by far his biggest weakness right now. Under JC it was common to see us make more free throws than the other team even attempted. Now many games like last night, that number is reversed. KO still seems concerned with being liked by every official. Most officials probably hated JC and how diligently he worked them but they clearly respected him and the results proved it. Had JC received that technical last night, you can be rest assured he would have been a mad Irishman that last 2:44 and we may have gotten a couple critical calls. Hoping KO learns this art but 4 years in I'm fearing it will just go against his nature and we'll have to find other ways to win.

Reaction Score
So true - it took St. Jim 27 years to win his first title. Only took HCKO two!

Thanks for bringing much-needed perspective to this board.
You're being sarcastic right? JC coached the first 13 at Northeastern and played in the Big East his entire UConn career! KO inherited a pretty loaded team in a relatively soft conference with a player of the year type lead guard who had already won a NC. Not a fair comparison by any means.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I'm more of a UCONN football guy but these types of posts happen here too?

KO is family and you never throw family under the bus.

Especially when they've spent years learning from the best bus driver ever.

960x540.jpg

OP is a clown in my book.

Reaction Score
You're being sarcastic right? JC coached the first 13 at Northeastern and played in the Big East his entire UConn career! KO inherited a pretty loaded team in a relatively soft conference with a player of the year type lead guard who had already won a NC. Not a fair comparison by any means.
Let's be clear: that 2014 team wasn't "a pretty loaded team," and he got them to 20 wins in the Big East that first year, without the benefit of the BE or NCAA tournament. It had no McDonald's AAs. It lost a ton of huge recruits (Drummond, Oriakhi, Roscoe, and Lamb all left in the off season), and it only really brought in Phil Nolan and Omar Calhoun. We were freaking out about the fact that a guy named Wolf left our team for godsakes.

Boatright, Napier, Daniels, and a bunch of under-recruited overachievers. That was the 2014 team. And only Boat and Napier had really proven themselves in any measure before the season started.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Don't know what bothers me more, the way the team is playing or the crazy stuff on these boards.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Don't know what bothers me more, the way the team is playing or the crazy stuff on these boards.

Gives you extra imperative to root for the team to win, no? :confused:

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Really? Have you ever coached at a high level? I have. The call on JA was pure crap, it was a touch foul at best BUT to call it when the momentum was swinging was/is a wrong thing to do by ant official at that stage of the game, if its blatant yes, but touch foul, no, unless JA continued to do that.
KO did not lose the game. the game was lost in the first half when Gibbs, Miller, Purvis and AB decided it was a vacation day in NYC rather than a work night.
KO was frustrated, I've been there, done that.
Until you are in his shoes......
KO has made mistakes but this was not one he made with premeditated action - it was reaction
Speaking of reaction, the players in white could have used some reactionary tactics on defense all night.
And for all those dolts who say "what does he teach/do in practice" - I am positive he teaches at both an acceptable level in both content and style, within the areas of tactics and execution BUT look who he is working with - he has no bench so these guys work against crap every day - Maryland seems to have studs in their 1-10 players.
JC had that luxury but the recent loss in recruitment has hurt them - think that doesn't make a difference?
KO is not the reason - lack of a PG (JAA will be there real soon), lack of a leader and a bunch of guys with a lax attitude is part of the problem.
Hey moron, yes I have coached at a high level and recruited too, but you seem to have made this about me and you. So, should the call have been made ?. No!!! It's a let them play moment, instead the ref wanted to make the highlights on ESPN. Ollie is a great man, I've met him in person and he treated me as if he knew me. That's a special kind of coach. As I said, I wasn't saying he isn't a good coach or he lost the game, but the foul and tech killed the momentum. Any coach at any level would admit that, as Ollie did in his own way. I'm sure everyone here would want JA to keep being aggressive like he was trying to be, but to change the approach. This game was on the players from the start, you could see it once they missed several looks early and kept the crowd from being that 6th man it was hoping to be, and the one this team needed to pull this one out. Coaching only goes so far, the players have to have their own inner fire/heart what ever you want to call it. That is something you can't teach, either you have it or you don't. Go read my other post on that before quoting something and trying to call someone out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom