Kevin Ollie in running for Piston Job? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie in running for Piston Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are they talking about the same Prince Ali that was unable to start for a bunch of mediocre UCLA teams? Is that the Prince Ali that is giving the haters the sadzz?
I fully recognize that this is trolling, but this is about the process. Ali reopened his recruiting because he was blowing up at the time and was receiving no attention from the staff.

This is like me ripping Ollie for not landing Jevon Carter in that same class. It’s nonsense.

I am stopping now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I fully recognize that this is trolling, but this is about the process. Ali reopened his recruiting because he was blowing up at the time and was receiving no attention from the staff.

This is like me ripping Ollie for not landing Jevon Carter in that same class. It’s nonsense.

I am stopping now.

Maybe Ollie realized Ali was overrated and was not that unhappy to see him go.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
NBA coaching is almost entirely about managing personalities. I think KO will have success in an NBA job. He failed in college because he was a bad recruiter and roster builder. Outside of some talent in the 2016 class, nearly every recruiting class of his sucked.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If I’m remembering correctly, they lost Prince Ali because Ollie stopped reaching out or responding to him.

This turned into a pattern, where Ollie clearly wanted no part of the recruiting process. They were able to ride the momentum of the 2014 title to land a great class in 2016, but the momentum quickly evaporated after that.
Maybe he didn’t want him anymore? Realistically, Ollie had one bad recruiting class and that was 2017. After Gilbert’s injury, the mass exodus of transfers, and even Daniel Hamilton leaving earlier than he was suppose to.

I can see Ollie quitting on recruiting for that class because of all those factors because of a feeling that he wouldn’t be able to keep guys after that fact because of the AAC. But I don’t see how he picked up as much talent as he did beforehand while sleepwalking.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This is it, but people’s views of Ollie (including my own) have hardened to a point where it’s just a waste of server space. The same names always show up as likes on anything vaguely pro-Ollie, and the reverse is often true (though much less predictably). I will always be bitter and unobjective about this period, and I own that. I hope that he is investing more of himself in whatever he is doing these days.
I appreciate your honesty here.

Reaction Score
My distaste for KO dissipated after DH restored UConn to greatness. What’s past has passed.

I hope he can keep his eyes on the prize wherever he lands. He contributed to the Blue Blood tally, irrespective of whether it was a JC team. They made an unreal run. It’s sad to see the guy just loose focus with instant fame, but not uncommon. DH is much more grounded in his family values and legacy.

Reaction Score
Maybe he didn’t want him anymore? Realistically, Ollie had one bad recruiting class and that was 2017. After Gilbert’s injury, the mass exodus of transfers, and even Daniel Hamilton leaving earlier than he was suppose to.

I can see Ollie quitting on recruiting for that class because of all those factors because of a feeling that he wouldn’t be able to keep guys after that fact because of the AAC. But I don’t see how he picked up as much talent as he did beforehand while sleepwalking.
If this were an isolated incident, then sure. By many accounts, this wasn’t the only time something like this happened.

And if he was no longer interested in Ali, maybe pick up the phone and have that conversation? Ghosting a teenage kid who committed to playing basketball for the program is beyond unprofessional.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I’m confused. So he quit doing his job because he lost a commit? (I was looking forward to Prince too)

In 2016 we had a top 10 class. Did he sleepwalk his way to that class?

He won an NC and lost two recruits in months.

He wasn’t calling these kids. We’re lucky Jalen stayed on because Kevin didn‘t contact him either until it got shaky and he actually had to get in a car and go see a game. The uniform was recruiting for us at that point.

Did you guys sleep through the Ollie era?

I think my fav recruiting moment for Kev, outside of offering a kid after seeing some dunk vids, was offering Rock Lublin sight unseen just to get one scholarship off the table.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Seems some know it all’s were wrong?
They always are, 50% of the time, because, inevitably, they are on both sides of any issue.

caw

Reaction Score
Maybe Ollie realized Ali was overrated and was not that unhappy to see him go.

Ali may have been overrated, but to be fair, he had meniscus surgery after his freshman year and missed a year. He was never as explosive a jumper after that and like Gilbert's shoulder it was a constant issue during his time at UCLA.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

He wasn’t calling these kids. We’re lucky Jalen stayed on because Kevin didn‘t contact him either until it got shaky and he actually had to get in a car and go see a game. The uniform was recruiting for us at that point.

I think my fav recruiting moment for Kev, outside of offering a kid after seeing some dunk vids, was offering Rock Lublin sight unseen just to get one scholarship off the table.
Yeah I wasn’t aware. If recruits stayed on after all that that’s just remarkable.

Reaction Score
Lubin had that one good game against Cincy back in the day

Reaction Score

Indeed. This revisionist history nonsense is getting thick. They fired him for a reason and it wasn't just having a losing record, which somehow wasn't Ollie's fault.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Indeed. This revisionist history nonsense is getting thick. They fired him for a reason and it wasn't just having a losing record, which somehow wasn't Ollie's fault.
Where in this thread was this stated?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

In the end it was ten toes up and tagged.

Reaction Score
Where in this thread was this stated?
Revisionist history is pretending he was fired for cause. He was fired for losing but they wanted to get out of paying him. That is why he won his arbitration case. And if you read the ruling it was a pretty clear rebuke of the school’s behavior. So now you have a storied player who also coached them to a title estranged from the program. And I am trying to understand why this is his fault. Perno was fired but is welcomed. To read here about his issues the Yarders would have to spend countless hours at these establishments to observe this instead of reading one poster’s comments and then repeating it as you were there.

Reaction Score
Revisionist history is pretending he was fired for cause. He was fired for losing but they wanted to get out of paying him. That is why he won his arbitration case. And if you read the ruling it was a pretty clear rebuke of the school’s behavior. So now you have a storied player who also coached them to a title estranged from the program. And I am trying to understand why this is his fault. Perno was fired but is welcomed. To read here about his issues the Yarders would have to spend countless hours at these establishments to observe this instead of reading one poster’s comments and then repeating it as you were there.
What does Dom Perno have to do with Kevin Ollie? Perno was a hair before I got obsessed with UConn basketball so I don't but did he get a show cause, pull shady stuff behind the scenes, and accuse the University of racism?

Reaction Score
What does Dom Perno have to do with Kevin Ollie? Perno was a hair before I got obsessed with UConn basketball so I don't but did he get a show cause, pull shady stuff behind the scenes, and accuse the University of racism?
He was fired. If you really think his program was not shady you are speaking from a lack of knowledge. The arbitration hearing determined that during the same period as Coach Ollie 3 white coaches had as many or more as egregious or worse violations than Ollie and none of them were fired. FYI that is a textbook definition of institutional racism. The same group ignored the NCAA findings because it was based solely on Glenn Miller and additionally found numerous NCAA investigations with much more serious occurrences with no such penalty. So what shady behind the scenes stuff are you referring to?

Reaction Score
He was fired. If you really think his program was not shady you are speaking from a lack of knowledge. The arbitration hearing determined that during the same period as Coach Ollie 3 white coaches had as many or more as egregious or worse violations than Ollie and none of them were fired. FYI that is a textbook definition of institutional racism. The same group ignored the NCAA findings because it was based solely on Glenn Miller and additionally found numerous NCAA investigations with much more serious occurrences with no such penalty. So what shady behind the scenes stuff are you referring to?
You might want to proofread your post.

I'm not even going to get into your racism claim it's so absurd.

Ollie was given one of the best jobs in all of college basketball with zero head coaching experience and only two years experience as an assistant.

Not supposed to air the dirty laundry in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom