Kevin Ollie in running for Piston Job? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie in running for Piston Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’m so tired of the 4 brain celled strawman responses on this board.

The argument was that he was better suited for the NBA than the college game, because his strengths are more aligned with the NBA.

I never said that you don’t need any of those things in the NBA or that he would even be a good NBA coach. I’m just arguing he’s a better fit there than college.
You can say my reply is a strawman and I can certainly say your position on him being a better fit in the pros is hogwash.

To be honest, he hasn't proven a single thing in a long time now that he's competent coaching in either situation.

Reaction Score
Who in your opinion would be a good decision to coach in the NBA right now?

There is no perfect formula so anyone you mention I could probably find multiple examples of people in similar situations that have failed.
I agree, there is no perfect formula but I just can't imagine an owner/GM saying I want the guy who has never been an NBA HC and whose last real coaching role ended because he just stopped doing his job. It's nonsensical to me, regardless of what anyone thinks of the UConn-Ollie drama and who is in the wrong there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree, there is no perfect formula but I just can't imagine an owner/GM saying I want the guy who has never been an NBA HC and whose last real coaching role ended because he just stopped doing his job. It's nonsensical to me, regardless of what anyone thinks of the UConn-Ollie drama and who is in the wrong there.
This thread is worse than some of the realignmen stuff. One guy tweets “hey, they on a take a look at Ollie” and we are on page 4 of discussing the merits of it.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Why do you feel he's a better fit coaching the pros?
People say this because he was lazy and they think lazy passes in the NBA. It doesn’t. You don’t have to recruit, but you do have to reallocate the time to something other than a barstool.

Reaction Score
Many Ollie homers kept saying that oh, just ask Kevin Durant, Ray Allen etc. A new flash: that was when he was constantly bouncing around the league and lived on a 10 day contact. It’s the only way and meal ticket he could survive, to make friends with everyone and be a nice guy. Once he’s got a coaching job which was spoon fed to him with millions and got into his head that he is bigger than he actually was, his true colors showed out:

the guy has zero loyalty to be spoken of, here are the facts:

Loyalty to his wife and family - No
Loyalty to his coach and mentor and father figure - No
Loyalty to the university that he attended and got the degree from - No
Loyalty to his players - No

The guy is narcissistic and egotistical, character wise. And on top of that, he is a bum and did not want to work.

Now tell me who wants him for a price tag in millions?

I have to agree with Fishy, cannot stop laughing…

Reaction Score

Every NBA head coach at one point has never been an NBA head coach.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Recruiting success isn’t just Rivals/247Rankings.

It’s also roster construction, talent identification, etc.

Ollie may be a good NBA coach (prob better than his ending here) but I think he’d be better with a veteran team vs development of a young group
Nobody got any better under Ollie. Hurley turned the Wrench into a pro.

Reaction Score
Every NBA head coach at one point has never been an NBA head coach.
If that's what you took away as the key point from my post, you're just having a conversation with yourself.

Reaction Score
Many Ollie homers kept saying that oh, just ask Kevin Durant, Ray Allen etc. A new flash: that was when he was constantly bouncing around the league and lived on a 10 day contact. It’s the only way and meal ticket he could survive, to make friends with everyone and be a nice guy. Once he’s got a coaching job which was spoon fed to him with millions and got into his head that he is bigger than he actually was, his true colors showed out:

The guy is narcissistic and egotistical, character wise. And on top of that, he is a bum and did not want to work.

Tell me again who's overly emotional about this?

Reaction Score

There's the Ollie "homers" and then there's the extreme other end whack jobs that think they have all the answers LOL.

pj

Reaction Score
KO isn't that smart and he may not want to put in the effort to make up for his lack of smarts.

But, suppose you are an NBA GM and your goal is to throw the next few seasons, get early draft picks, and then move for excellence. You don't want to hire a really capable coach who might win and ruin your plan to stockpile lottery picks; you don't want to hire a capable coach and order him to throw games, which could get both of you in trouble. The best move is to hire a not-capable coach, let him do what comes naturally for a few years, then you have good grounds to fire him and hire the capable coach to turn the talent you've collected into success.

The coach you are looking for is a not-capable coach who is still a good mentor to young players and can teach them how to work hard and succeed in the NBA. Maybe Ollie can persuade them that he can be that.

Maybe Ollie to the Pistons is not as far-fetched as it seems on first glance.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
KO isn't that smart and he may not want to put in the effort to make up for his lack of smarts.

But, suppose you are an NBA GM and your goal is to throw the next few seasons, get early draft picks, and then move for excellence. You don't want to hire a really capable coach who might win and ruin your plan to stockpile lottery picks; you don't want to hire a capable coach and order him to throw games, which could get both of you in trouble. The best move is to hire a not-capable coach, let him do what comes naturally for a few years, then you have good grounds to fire him and hire the capable coach to turn the talent you've collected into success.

The coach you are looking for is a not-capable coach who is still a good mentor to young players and can teach them how to work hard and succeed in the NBA. Maybe Ollie can persuade them that he can be that.

Maybe Ollie to the Pistons is not as far-fetched as it seems on first glance.

I guess if you are looking for a coach who isn’t very bright, isn’t very motivated and will not win enough games to prevent you from stocking up in the lottery, then I agree - Kevin Ollie might make sense.

He’s gonna sue you on the way out, though.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’ve been a big critic of his but I think he would be a fine nba coach

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I'm no KO apologist but effort was literally his calling card during his 13 year NBA career. Maybe he lost all intrinsic motivation to succeed having stacked enough chips (pun intended) along with his personal life troubles. And maybe his desire to prove people that he can still coach is enough to reignite his work ethic. I wouldn't bet on it but I'm just saying, it was part of his DNA at one point.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are times, like reading this thread, where I think UConn may have the worst fan base in college sports.

There are multiple posters, including a former mod, calling an exNBA athlete stupid and lazy. I would think I was reading an Ole Miss board if I didn’t know better.

Reaction Score
Ollie can coach in the NBA. I don’t think the coaches do much these days. Maybe someone can prove to me otherwise, but it’s a players league as has been for years.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Pistons seem like they’re going to stop the tanking after this year. Would be VERY interesting if Ollie did get hired as he’d probably be expected to start competing and they have a lot of good young talent.

Reaction Score
That is a guy on twitter twittering names. I doubt KO is actually on their list.

I hope for his sake that he is, but the gentleman tweeting this is not an insider. It holds as much weight as if you or I tweeted it.

I think he’s a legit insider. Been following him since his KO post

Reaction Score
Starting to make sense. Pistons GM Troy Weaver was an executive on the Thunder when Ollie played there with Durant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom