Kevin Nathan says.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kevin Nathan says....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't discount that K N feels the need to be a "reporter" and just threw Quinn's name out there for poops & giggles just to throw something against a wall (like this one). But yes, a Quinn hire falls into the "they're still not serious about football at UConn" category. Pretty much like Ambrose. Hell, Nutt would generate more buzz than JQ.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Weist it will be. His being here and taking over is no accident. I am in for Weist. If the rest of you stay home, the stadium won't look any emptier than it already does.

I don't know if it will be Weist, but this jumping ship cr*p before whomever has coached one game is beyond dumb. If UConn hires their personal cat's meow there is no more guarantee of success than the building of a great practice facility was. Our record under HCRE was okay, but it wasn't eye-popping and much was done when we had Danny O. Even the Fiesta Bowl year, the league as a whole was mediocre. Hey, if these guys bail in season's tickets, maybe the price will come down and I can contribute less for better seats.

Reaction Score
Weist it will be. His being here and taking over is no accident. I am in for Weist. If the rest of you stay home, the stadium won't look any emptier than it already does.

I wouldn't be so confident of that -- the less emptier thing. There's a base of 10-15K diehards that will take a hit of TJ gets the full-time gig. I wouldn't be thrilled to death if he's the HC and would still keep coming. But why others wouldn't rewnew.

If it is Weist than Warde is making a hugely amateurish move by this pregame gaggle.

Reaction Score
Our record under HCRE was okay, but it wasn't eye-popping and much was done when we had Danny O.

Easy there, 8-plus wins and a bowl in RE's last four seasons when Danny O was a backup in the league.

Reaction Score
Of all of those things, #2 cannot be overstated. When people have a rapport with each other, with positive history, it tends to carry over. That's why I'm putting Quinn's chances at 1 out of 4 or better...

our recently retired men's bb coach wanted to murder our previous AD and yet managed to squeeze "a few good seasons" out of the discord. Our previous football coach left because of this previous AD and had some nice years. I'll take rancor and good old fashioned hatred between a coach and AD any day.

Reaction Score
Betcha if whomever is the next coach and we start winning, you'll want the dime back from wherever you wound up spending it. Nobody knows how anyone will turn out. Tell you what, I saw UConn get flattened by a 1AA team the year before we went to D1. Our coach was HCRE and I thought there is no way on Earth he should be our coach as we went major, he just happened to be here at the moment. It turned out pretty well. I'd save the dime just in case they hire the guy you don't like and give him a couple of years. Even TJ at 2-5 took over a lifeless disaster and nobody could have corrected that overnight. He has gone through personnel changes, better use of personnel etc. I'm not advocating for him, just saying prejudging is impossible.

If prejudging is impossible, how does WM prejudge?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Easy there, 8-plus wins and a bowl in RE's last four seasons when Danny O was a backup in the league.

The point is, people are ready to jump ship because they are presuming something about the next coach based on a total unknown about what any candidate might do at UConn. Frankly, and not that I'm in a position to do much about it, a guy who got Buffalo to any bowl game shouldn't be dismissed that lightly. Talk about a cr*p program in a decent mid-major conference. UConn will hire whomever and I'm a UConn fan. I went to basketball games when they totally sucked under Burr Carlson and when they had trouble competing in the Big East under Perno (who was reasonably successful in the ECAC). Did I like the way the team played under PP? Of course not. But it was also true that Randy had a bunch of and 7-5 teams (2 had an additional bowl win) which is not crazy different from 5-7 without a top shelf QB or rb. For the ship jumpers, I'd at least wait and see before reaching speculative conclusions.

Reaction Score
If they hire a Quinn or a Weist, the message is clear. There is no future for UConn football, we are going cheap on the hire and we are stuck in the AAC for a long long time.

Really, it would tell you where Herbst and Manuel think of the program. The new football business model is $2M a year from TV and 20k people in the stands. Sadly, I suspect that today's attendance, maybe 15,000, will be the norm going forward

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If prejudging is impossible, how does WM prejudge?

Did you ever hire anyone? I've had to hire several people and all you can do is rely on known information, and who actually will take the job. Once in a while. what looks like a great hire turns out not so hot and what looks like a desperate hire is a diamond in the rough. WM has his job to do and it's in his interest to make a selection he is confident is the best he can do. For a fan to to say if X is hired they won't renew because they are c*cksure their guy is better, is ridiculous before one game has been played under whomever.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
If they hire a Quinn or a Weist, the message is clear. There is no future for UConn football, we are going cheap on the hire and we are stuck in the AAC for a long long time.

Really, it would tell you where Herbst and Manuel think of the program. The new football business model is $2M a year from TV and 20k people in the stands. Sadly, I suspect that today's attendance, maybe 15,000, will be the norm going forward

You have 0 idea what the hire will signify if it's one of the people you thiunk is sloppy thirds. Maybe your ace coach doesn't want the job. Meanwhile, I don't like UConn being in the AAC, but I can't do a damn thing about it and I have no choice but to assume that's where the program will be for at least a while. I hope the league takes off, but UConn is my school and my team.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
If it's Quinn or Weist it's a total joke. Just an embarrassing decision.

Agreed. It's really that simple. There's our Whipple and Pasqualoni options this time around.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be so confident of that -- the less emptier thing. There's a base of 10-15K diehards that will take a hit of TJ gets the full-time gig. I wouldn't be thrilled to death if he's the HC and would still keep coming. But why others wouldn't rewnew.

If it is Weist than Warde is making a hugely amateurish move by this pregame gaggle.
I'll say this, I like Weist a lot more than Warde hiring Quinn. I thought, or more precisely hoped that WM would reach out to Joe Moorehead, hire him and keep TJ on in some capacity. My favorite of all the names I've heard is Narduzzi. I think UCONN would benefit immensely by hiring him even if they overpaid him.

Reaction Score
... he also just compared Casey Cochran to Russell Wilson (but sez Wilson can run???):oops:.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jeff Quinn has done a good job building Buffalo up. His team was more impressive than Towson in beating UConn. They have played well all year. This class is the first class he brought in. Clawson has more history of turning programs around, but never at the MAC level. In short, I don't see why people would jump for Clawson but retch at Quinn. Makes no sense to me. Both of these guys turned around awful programs.

Reaction Score
Jeff Quinn has done a good job building Buffalo up. His team was more impressive than Towson in beating UConn. They have played well all year. This class is the first class he brought in. Clawson has more history of turning programs around, but never at the MAC level. In short, I don't see why people would jump for Clawson but retch at Quinn. Makes no sense to me. Both of these guys turned around awful programs.

Dave Clawson isn't in the top 3 for me but seems pretty sharp in game conditions. Like his energy and speed in recognizing and reacting to what he sees on the field. Still have no idea why NIU couldn't find the TE last night though.

Reaction Score
ralphDrussoAP11:41am via Twitter for iPhone
Interview candidates for UConn I'm hearing are all names that have been out there at various times. Mazzone, Diaco, Lembo, Tom Herman.

Haven't seen Diaco/Herman mentioned anywhere but on here...

... and this was retweeted by Jeremy Fowler so expect it to get some play.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
our recently retired men's bb coach wanted to murder our previous AD and yet managed to squeeze "a few good seasons" out of the discord. Our previous football coach left because of this previous AD and had some nice years. I'll take rancor and good old fashioned hatred between a coach and AD any day.

Your comment would be more meaningful if Hathaway was actually the guy who hired either Calhoun or Edsall. He wasn't. It isn't the same to have to work with someone and to hire someone. That was the point I was making...

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I post these things in case anybody from UCONN uses this site to gauge fan interest in a particular name (absurd, I know). Of the names he mentioned, I'd rank 'em:

Ambrose - ZERO interest, would not renew and just buy single tickets to BYU, Boise and Cinci
Quinn - less than ZERO interest, would not renew and same as Ambrose
Lembo - hire immediately, would renew instantly and maybe add on
Narduzzi - hire immediately, same as Lembo
Clawson - hire immediately if Lembo or Narduzzi turn down, would renew our 6
Mullen - hire immediately above all else and I'd double my season tickets

Why don't you threaten to hold your breath and stomp your feet until you get your way. It will be even more effective.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Interview candidates for UConn I'm hearing are all names that have been out there at various times. Mazzone, Diaco, Lembo, Tom Herman.

Hmmmmmm...I am very wary of putting too much stock in the reflective glory of a program like ND. Especially where said program is underachieving when compared to the hype surrounding it. As for Herman, maybe Urban is in charge of press conferences these days and Herman runs the O, but I doubt it. I also don't like Mazzone's mustache, too Andy Reid/Gerald McRaney/Super Mario.

The resumes don't impress, would have to have the "it" factor. I doubt they do, because "it" guys at high profile programs are known even to message board idiots like ourselves.

Other than Lembo, I don't like this list on it's face.

Reaction Score

“@jacobscourant: Hearing Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman is on UConn's candidate list.”

Reaction Score

“@jacobscourant: Hearing Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman is on UConn's candidate list.”

jacobscourant5:04pm via Web
Add Notre Dame defensive coordinator Bob Diaco to list of a half dozen candidates we're hearing for UConn coach.

jacobscourant5:05pm via Web
This is my list of UConn candidates: Lembo, Clawson, Narduzzi, Herman, Diaco, Weist, Ambrose. We'll see.

These guys are gonna spin themselves in circles... wait till one of them reports on a rumor they themselves started!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom