Kevin Friend | The Boneyard

Kevin Friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Really impressed me this week. Watching the replay, I was really impressed with how he slid, and shuffled his feet while pass blockinG. He is one big athletic lineman, who I think will one day will rival Will Beatty as the best OT we've had since moving up to FBS football. It is a shame Jimmy Bennett got hurt, otherwise wed have a pair of bookends going into next year.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Who can we expect the starting 5 to be next year on the O-Line? We lose Ryan and Petrus from the line this year. Who will be starting at Center next year? The only other listed center on the roster is Paull. Will he be starting as a Sophomore or will someone be changing positions?

Reaction Score
I've been wondering the same thing. I don't know if Gus Cruz is learning how to snap, but my guess is he works himself into the lineup. Don't know if he slides in at guard with Masters sliding out to tackle, or if he will be a center with someone else at tackle.

Reaction Score
Really impressed me this week. Watching the replay, I was really impressed with how he slid, and shuffled his feet while pass blockinG. He is one big athletic lineman, who I think will one day will rival Will Beatty as the best OT we've had since moving up to FBS football. It is a shame Jimmy Bennett got hurt, otherwise wed have a pair of bookends going into next year.

Really like Friend and any Offensive linemen with wrestling backgrounds, it means they know how to use their hands and play with leverage.

Conversely, as terrible the luck that Bennett had during his tenure, I was not impressed with Bennett at any point. He was always smoked by edge rushers.

Reaction Score
Tyler Samra the verbal we have from Don Bosco Prep in NJ is a center

Reaction Score
Who can we expect the starting 5 to be next year on the O-Line? We lose Ryan and Petrus from the line this year. Who will be starting at Center next year? The only other listed center on the roster is Paull. Will he be starting as a Sophomore or will someone be changing positions?

From what I've heard, Bullock or Mateas is more likely.

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised if the OL for 2012 has Masters & Friend at the OT’s, Greene & Cruz as the OG’s and Tyler Bullock wining the center battle over Paull… Tough call on moving Masters back to OT, but it might have to be done in order to play the best 5… My big concern is will Coach Foley be back? I sure hope so….

Reaction Score
Hard to see a true freshman starting at OC.
Petrus did it...I understand what you are saying...A redshirt year for Samra would do him wonders strength wise...but don't count him out if position is up for grabs.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Petrus took a redshirt

Reaction Score
Petrus did it...I understand what you are saying...A redshirt year for Samra would do him wonders strength wise...but don't count him out if position is up for grabs.

We have not played, much less started, a true freshman OL since moving to the Rent. Given that Samra wasn't a Center in high school, I think it is highly unlikely that he is the first.

mets1090

Reaction Score
And Petrus was also a Guard as a RS Freshman, not a Center. Playing Center typically requires much more knowledge of blocking assignments for the rest of the line and whatnot

Reaction Score
And Petrus was also a Guard as a RS Freshman, not a Center. Playing Center typically requires much more knowledge of blocking assignments for the rest of the line and whatnot
Not to pile on, but I think Moe came in at 21-22 years old, and may be close to 26, in this his Sr. year. Even if I have the ages wrong, he redshirted, started off at Left Guard, and was older thus more physically developed than your average freshman. If Samra proves capable, i'm all for it.

Reaction Score
Not to pile on, but I think Moe came in at 21-22 years old, and may be close to 26, in this his Sr. year. Even if I have the ages wrong, he redshirted, started off at Left Guard, and was older thus more physically developed than your average freshman. If Samra proves capable, i'm all for it.
You are right about Petrus' age. He is 25.

Reaction Score
We have not played, much less started, a true freshman OL since moving to the Rent. Given that Samra wasn't a Center in high school, I think it is highly unlikely that he is the first.
Like I said I hope he redshirts...that will serve him better physically...but I can see the job up for grabs and as this staff has shown they have no problem playing guys no matter what. The more competition the better off we will be (I look at ol as one of our strengths unlike the qb position this year).

Reaction Score
Joe Akers was inline to be the last true freshman to start at center prior to his injury.

Reaction Score
Joe Akers was inline to be the last true freshman to start at center prior to his injury.
There is a blast from the past. Baby Bull, I think was his nickname. Damn. Hope he is doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom