Kevin Duffy on Facey's situation | The Boneyard

Kevin Duffy on Facey's situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Are Duffy's numbers right? I've seen in other articles that Face is 19, not 20.

Reaction Score
Are Duffy's numbers right? I've seen in other articles that Face is 19, not 20.
Everywhere I've seen he is 19, not that it should matter at all.

Reaction Score
Born in July of '93 per the article, so he would have just turned 20. He's a pup compared to the standard Pitt frosh.

Yea I saw that but I had seen 19 and that he had come over when he was 16 in other articles, while Duffy has added a year in both cases. Then again I think the other sources were Amore articles and those using Amore as a source and we all know how he is with errors and typos so I'd imagine Duffy is right.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yea I saw that but I had seen 19 and that he had come over when he was 16 in other articles, while Duffy has added a year in both cases. Then again I think the other sources were Amore articles and those using Amore as a source and we all know how he is with errors and typos so I'd imagine Duffy is right.
NBADraft.com list his birthday as July 1994

Reaction Score

Hopefully.... figuring out his transcript must have been the hard part. He didn't transfer right into LuHi from Jamaica - he played at least one year @ Upper Room Christian High School in Dix NY before transferring to LuHi.

From a 9/2012 article:

"One of those men that especially saw his raw talent at the time was Stephen Johnston, of the Jamaica Basketball Development, INC. An organization that sees the athletic, and academic potential in Jamaican youth, and helps them to achieve success with their skills. With the help of Mr. Johnston Kentan came to the U.S., 3 years ago he attended Upper Room Christian School in Dix Hills, NY. That was how he and his present head coach John Buck crossed paths as Kentan played against Long Island Lutheran. As coach Buck also saw the raw talent Facey possessed he, and Mr. Johnston both felt that the great academics, and historic basketball program within Long Island Lutheran would benefit him. They both wanted the best for Kentan, and a year later Kentan Facey was a Crusader."

http://firstandtensport.com/articles/1st-10-s-next-big-thing-kentan-facey--2

Reaction Score
NBADraft.com list his birthday as July 1994

good find, not that it should matter but using faulty NCAA logic I could see them using his age against him if was actually 20 and not 19.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
How do these issues come up? I always wonder if someone with an ax to grind or a spurned school brings these things to the NCAA's attention.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
How do these issues come up? I always wonder if someone with an ax to grind or a spurned school brings these things to the NCAA's attention.

Pretty sure there's a standing order to investigate every incoming UConn recruit.

C

Chief00

Why do I feel what's logical and what's will be the NCAA decision are two polar opposite things? Then throw in the inept Emmert's grudge against UConn and it is tough to be optimistic. Here we are a couple weeks before school starts and this isn't resolved. Not reason for optimism.

Reaction Score
3 years and 20 is not as good a fact set as 2 and 19. But, I still want to know when he could have met NCAA eligibility standards for academics.

Reaction Score
Does it concern anyone else that our two toip recruits might not take the floor this year? One, Samuels, needs to pass 2 classes in summer school just to show up. The other is in NCAA hell. Somebody did a lousy job vetting these guys. Frankly, the Samuels situatuion bothers me more than Facey. We're back to recruiting guys who are academic casualties waiting to happen...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Does it concern anyone else that our two toip recruits might not take the floor this year? One, Samuels, needs to pass 2 classes in summer school just to show up. The other is in NCAA hell. Somebody did a lousy job vetting these guys. Frankly, the Samuels situatuion bothers me more than Facey. We're back to recruiting guys who are academic casualties waiting to happen...
You're a pr1ck. Facey is a great student and Samuel had fine grades but apparently a poor advisor which seems to be the case w a lot of NYC kids. It's painful reading your posts.

H

Huskyfan23

Yes it bothers me that the top 2 recruits may not see the floor this year but honestly if Samuels is just able to pass his 2 summer classes and make it to UConn he will be fine. After receiving the prior academic punishment there is little chance that the AST{Academic Support Team} will let any of these future recruits put the school in jeopardy for further punishment. All that Samuels or any basketball player has to do is have a pulse and they will pass. Listen I played baseball at UConn back in the day and this is how it works. First you meet with your AST mentor who you goes over your major and future aspirations with you. They then give you a list of classes{taught by "friends of the program"} you will need to take for your major. The AST has on file and will give you each one of these classes mid terms and finals before you take it so you can study the EXACT material on the tests. The AST will also help with any other assignments you have in these classes which as long as you turn in something on time usually gets no worse than a B from the "friend of the program" professor. So as long as you can show up for class, read a syllabus to know when things are due, and study for an hour for mid term and final then you are guaranteed a grade no lower than a B.

APA

Reaction Score
So in other words you cheat your way through school and get a "degree"?

Reaction Score
. So as long as you can show up for class, read a syllabus to know when things are due, and study for an hour for mid term and final then you are guaranteed a grade no lower than a B.

So that's why UNC beats us for recruits! Why have to show up to class, read, have assignments due, and study for an hour when you can sign up and attend no show African Studies classes or have tutors do all your work (ps rent a cars available on demand and tutorial exists on how to set up an EBAY account to sell sneakers).

H

Huskyfan23

So that's why UNC beats us for recruits! Why have to show up to class, read, have assignments due, and study for an hour when you can sign up and attend no show African Studies classes or have tutors do all your work (ps rent a cars available on demand and tutorial exists on how to set up an EBAY account to sell sneakers).

You don't think that happens at UConn? I have stories for days about some of the shady stuff that happened while I was there. It happens everywhere.

caw

Reaction Score
You don't think that happens at UConn? I have stories for days about some of the shady stuff that happened while I was there. It happens everywhere.

And not even close to being isolated to athletes, anywhere. The more competitive the school the more people cheat (from my experience)

Reaction Score
There is no doubt it happens and will continue happen at UConn. There is no way a kid like Samuels would even be considered for a school like UConn without his basketball here. Lets not kid ourselves here UConn is strong academically and is getting stronger every year; a kid who has to go to summer school would not get in to UConn. Period.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt it happens and will continue happen at UConn. There is no way a kid like Samuels would even be considered for a school like UConn without his basketball here. Lets not kid ourselves here UConn is strong academically and is getting stronger every year; a kid who has to go to summer school would not get in to UConn. Period.

You picked this thread and this post to become a "Boneyard Junkie"? Thanks for joining on such a positive note!:eek:

Reaction Score

UConn has an academic program with fake courses intended for athletes? Do tell. That would be beyond a shocking revelation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom