Kentucky to Hire Mark Pope LOL | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Kentucky to Hire Mark Pope LOL

Reaction Score
is that real?!!! wow, that is crazy.

Super strange with the BYU court & logos in the back drop- lol. I would stay not a good first step or start as the new Kentucky job.

One of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen to be honest, but I guess it fits with this entire hiring cycle for Kentucky.

On my, how the mighty have fallen.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Pope’s a good coach. The issue to me seems to be that he’d be available in a week if they continued to strike out but apparently Barnhart went rogue on this one. So it looks pretty embarrassing to the outside observer.
I think it may be Barnhart realizing it was time to face reality well ahead of their lunatic fan base, rather than going rogue.

This could turn out to be a good hire. He will have the ability to bring in substantially better talent than he had at BYU. The problems will be a) will that fan base give him time to build something and b) if he does, will anything ever be "good enough"?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Whatever people think about Aaron Torres, he hit the bullseye with this tweet.
Yes on the second part.

On the first, if they hadn't already received a definitive no from Donovan's camp the job would still be open.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Super strange with the BYU court & logos in the back drop- lol. I would stay not a good first step or start as the new Kentucky job.

One of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen to be honest, but I guess it fits with this entire hiring cycle for Kentucky.

Why would you do that? Slap in the face to BYU and its fans.

Also the uniform thing was super weird.

Yikes.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score

IMG_7892.gif

Reaction Score
I kind of feel sorry for Mark Pope. Even though he has potential, he’ll never get the time to prove it. That fan base can be vicious.

“Can be”? Someone just posted that they want to “beat the AD to death” and multiple posters are threatening violence on one another. You have to laud their fandom but some of them are downright frightening.

Reaction Score
This wasn’t a good hire, it was a safe hire. Barnhart had no choice. They couldnt afford the humiliation of being rejected again.

Reaction Score
Good coach entering a very hard situation with unrealistic expectations.
And even if he does well some of the naysayer "fans" won't eat crow + any good will built up from winning is, at Kenticky temporary and fleeting. He could reach the final four next year but, if in 3 years he had a first round exit as a higher seed they'd run him out of town, literally.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
As corny as the uniform thing is, if I’m a UK fan, I’d rather watch that than what the Calipari show had become

Reaction Score
Why would you do that? Slap in the face to BYU and its fans.

Also the uniform thing was super weird.

Yikes.
I think it’s actually a video that was taken a few years back when Pope wasn’t able to go back to Kentucky when they were honoring the 96’ Championship team.

Sorry for jumping the gun- as I said was super strange video- lol.

Reaction Score

It's not a "first step". It was several years ago for a celebration of the 1996 championship team he couldn't attend.

I guess it's obvious why it's being passed around as something new though. It does look weird.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pope would come to Kentucky with a résumé that's light for a job generally considered the best in the sport.
Except by literally everyone else who was offered it, apparently.

Reaction Score
As corny as the uniform thing is, if I’m a UK fan, I’d rather watch that than what the Calipari show had become

It's not a "first step". It was several years ago for a celebration of the 1996 championship team he couldn't attend.

I guess it's obvious why it's being passed around as something new though. It does look weird.
Ya- see above- I mentioned that earlier- appreciate the feedback.

Reaction Score
Odds of him getting Schiano'd? Are they gonna take to the streets?

Reaction Score
Its hysterical how some (although not all) are also trying to rationalize that they don't want Hurley anymore because he is obviously an idiot for turning down UK and the bag. Some quotes from RR board:

"Frankly, if we walk away without Hurley after a $100 million offer that he REJECTED...I'd just call it a win and a dodged bullet. He's a freakin idiot to reject that. End of story!"

"Just reading that it is incredibly hard to absorb. $100 million (if accurate) is a absurd amount of money. Literally obscene.
I wasn't terribly interested in Hurley as I thought he would be a terrible fit for UK. But, for him to turn down that kind of money is a red flag IMO."

"He's a (rhymes with cluck)"

"If Hurley really rejected that kind of money cuz he wants to stay in Connecticut where they care more about the womens team then that’s his call but he clearly wasn’t the man for the job"
Uconn Huskies Wow GIF by NCAA March Madness

Reaction Score
Getting a single digit seed in the tournament at a school where pre-marital sex will get you kicked off the team is the finest coaching job i’ve ever seen.

Love Hurley but.. Was Mark Pope the real COTY?

Reaction Score
Getting a single digit seed in the tournament at a school where pre-marital sex will get you kicked off the team is the finest coaching job i’ve ever seen.

Love Hurley but.. Was Mark Pope the real COTY?
i mean....a Pope was never going to workout at a mormon school in the end.

Reaction Score

Oof, unless I”m watching a deep fake, did Pope actually record this message inside of BYU’s arena? Head bang

I was expecting a tattoo reveal, but he prolly wouln’t have been hired at BYU if he had any :p.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom