Kenpom #18! | The Boneyard

Kenpom #18!

Reaction Score
Up to 25 on Torvik as well (which I seem to gravitate towards for whatever reason)

198 on torvik for tempo
197 kenpom

The inconsistent messaging on tempo has been disappointing to me. That and late game execution by staff and players being kind of piss poor overall are my only complaints.

Very happy overall with our season in general though. Xs and Os looks better on offense. Defense has been solid as always. Solid recruiting. Rotations have made sense to me generally.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Up to 25 on Torvik as well (which I seem to gravitate towards for whatever reason)

198 on torvik for tempo
197 kenpom

The inconsistent messaging on tempo has been disappointing to me. That and late game execution by staff and players being kind of piss poor overall are my only complaints.
To my eye they really are trying to push the pace led by AJ. The half court offense is a little slow developing but I they push the ball as much as they can.

I think what's preventing going faster is teams know how good they are in transition and as Hurley has talked about opponents are sending no guys to the glass and sagging back to prevent fast break points.

One of the big things i saw against SJU last week, a team known for playing fast, was UConn looked better in transition than SJU. After a quick run UConn had on the fastbreak SJU called a TO and slowed it down anecdotally speaking.

I think they can play a little faster but I don't think they aren't trying to push it

Reaction Score

198 on torvik for tempo
197 kenpom

Very happy overall with our season in general though. Xs and Os looks better on offense. Defense has been solid as always. Solid recruiting. Rotations have made sense to me generally.

To my eye they really are trying to push the pace led by AJ. The half court offense is a little slow developing but I they push the ball as much as they can.

I think what's preventing going faster is teams know how good they are in transition and as Hurley has talked about opponents are sending no guys to the glass and sagging back to prevent fast break points.

One of the big things i saw against SJU last week, a team known for playing fast, was UConn looked better in transition than SJU. After a quick run UConn had on the fastbreak SJU called a TO and slowed it down anecdotally speaking.

I think they can play a little faster but I don't think they aren't trying to push it
The 198 for tempo (and now it's 195) is a bit misleading on KenPom. We're 143rd in offensive pace and 225th in defensive pace. So we are getting out and running on offense, but we're also forcing teams to work hard on defense to get shots which pushes down the overall pace. Our offensive pace was 310th last year, so we have run a significant amount more in transition this year.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The 198 for tempo (and now it's 195) is a bit misleading on KenPom. We're 143rd in offensive pace and 225th in defensive pace. So we are getting out and running on offense, but we're also forcing teams to work hard on defense to get shots which pushes down the overall pace. Our offensive pace was 310th last year, so we have run a significant amount more in transition this year.
Even without the numbers you can see it when you watch. We’re definitely trying to play faster this year on offense.

Reaction Score

UConn is not a very good defensive rebounding team, even while having good rebounders such as Jackson, Martin & Sanogo. This would indicate that teams are sending guys to hit the offensive glass against UConn.

UConn not playing an uptempo offense or generating more offense in transition has more to do with Hurley's coaching. Even though he's talked about playing more uptempo and pressing on defense to generate more fast breaks basically every preseason he has been here, he hasn't really done so. If you look back at his tenure at Wagner and URI his teams also did not play uptempo either.

Having said this, the offense looks much improved and is currently a top-25 offensive team per KenPom, and I think the offense will continue to improve the 2nd half of the season.

In short, I think UConn has the personnel to run teams off the court, but Hurley is hesitant to push the tempo too much, but its hard to complain given the fact UConn is a top-25 team in both offensive and defensive efficiency and looks the part of a top-15 team.

Reaction Score

Fair enough. I think having only Cole at PG doesn't help with pace either. Gaff is a slug leading an offense and Cole is not particularly fast either. I bet with a more experienced AJ running the point more next year, our pace will be faster.

Reaction Score
UConn is not a very good defensive rebounding team, even while having good rebounders such as Jackson, Martin & Sanogo. This would indicate that teams are sending guys to hit the offensive glass against UConn.
UConn is 36th in the country in number of defensive rebounds per game. Seems good to me.

I guess you could look for a more sophisticated statistic that shows the percentage of defensive rebounds a team gets which would account for other information (e.g. the pace a team is facing, the percentage shooting their defense is allowing, etc.). Any better statistic to look at like this?

Reaction Score
UConn is 36th in the country in number of defensive rebounds per game. Seems good to me.

I guess you could look for a more sophisticated statistic that shows the percentage of defensive rebounds a team gets which would account for other information (e.g. the pace a team is facing, the percentage shooting their defense is allowing, etc.). Any better statistic to look at like this?

#5 Offensive rebounding rate

#165 defensive rebounding rate

Per torvik

Reaction Score
Any team that is among the nation's leaders in blocks is going to lag somewhat on defensive rebounding. Guys who are leaving their feet to block shots can't be as good as other teams at moving feet when shots go up to get in position for rebounds.

I think we have a very good set of rebounders in our starting 5. If we wanted to be a great rebounding team at the expense of blocking as many shots, we could be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Per torvik
Does Torvik give an explanation how that's calculated? I wonder if UConn gets so many defensive rebounds because their defense is good and the opposing teams shoot a low percentage so there are more rebounds to get?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

198 on torvik for tempo
197 kenpom

I’m not happy with the Xs and Os either. We’re not getting good looks in the half court despite having the personnel. If we’re not going to execute in the half court we should play a faster tempo.

Per torvik
So funny that offensive rebounding is now a big strength. We used to go games without grabbing an offensive board in our AAC days.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Syracuse down to 83(222 defensively lol)after getting embarrassed on National TV again.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
16 on Saragin.

While messing around this morning, found Masseyratings.com.

Besides having their own rating, they show like 40 other ratings, as well show the composite mean and median. Sadly the composite one only updated weekly it looks like.

But last weekend Massey had us at 21, with a composite mean of 23 and a median of 21.

An interesting site I hadn’t seen before.

Reaction Score
Does Torvik give an explanation how that's calculated? I wonder if UConn gets so many defensive rebounds because their defense is good and the opposing teams shoot a low percentage so there are more rebounds to get?

I'm pretty sure it's just % of available offensive/defensive boards that we grab.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Any team that is among the nation's leaders in blocks is going to lag somewhat on defensive rebounding. Guys who are leaving their feet to block shots can't be as good as other teams at moving feet when shots go up to get in position for rebounds.

I think we have a very good set of rebounders in our starting 5. If we wanted to be a great rebounding team at the expense of blocking as many shots, we could be.
I sometimes wonder if we’d be better off boxing out, getting rebounds and avoiding fouls. Not this year though. We block shots very effectively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom