KenPom #1 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KenPom #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Other than that he won a championship here and Danny hasn’t won a tourney game yet? Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

I am all in on Hurley and we needed to get rid of KO but please. We’re not Syracuse. We don’t print tee shirts because we’re mid-season #1 in someone’s rankings. UConn will be back when we start winning conference championships and tourney games. And by the way — I have little doubt Danny Hurley would fully agree with this. We’re doing great and our trajectory is great. But we’ve accomplished nothing yet.
Absolutely true. 100%. I love where we are, be we have a long, long way to go.

Reaction Score
It’s great to have such a good team that we might be ranked #1 -and a 1 seed would be incredible-however my favorite spot for us has always been around 13.
I'm definitely enjoying this week no matter where we wind up.

Reaction Score
1670851095872.png

Ehhhh … I really only see us as a top 2 team

& we’re not #2 ‼️

Reaction Score
I just don't see Virginia being rated ahead of us (kenpom has them 9th). They have a very nice resume of wins and final scores in those wins but have trailed 4 times at the half so stem to stern they're not as impressive as our resume. I've also watched about 4 of their halves and they just don't pass the eye test as well as us either. If I had to bet the house in a matchup with them with both sides healthy, I'd take the good guys all day long.

Reaction Score
Houston with their big win today at #9 Virginia surged back past us, knocking us down to #2. So still won't have played a game as #1 in KenPom since 2009 Final Four.

Reaction Score
That #2 ranking with 20 first place votes is going to look nice.

Purdue isn't losing in 2022. Their next two opponents make our remaining 3 opponents look like Olympic teams.

Maybe we will get some Christmas love and slide up to #1?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Teams that were #1 in KenPom on the 3rd Sat in December. (Jan 9th for 20-21 teams due to late start). KenPom changed from Pythag to AdjEM in 16-17.
uconnkenpom3rdsat.png

We've got the 3rd highest AdjEM in the last 7 years at this point in the respective season. The 2 above us were 20-21 Gonzaga/Baylor, who are pretty legendary teams and who met in the title game. 3 of the other 6 who played tournaments made the title game with 2 champions. The rest lost to teams who made the Final Four.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hope that the voters do their research, Houston doesn’t have a ranked opponent for the rest of the regular season and like some mentioned that should drag down their #2 Kenpom ranking. Frustrating

Reaction Score
Hope that the voters do their research, Houston doesn’t have a ranked opponent for the rest of the regular season and like some mentioned that should drag down their #2 Kenpom ranking.

Not really sure I understand the reasoning. Kenpom is based on efficiency. Based on their efficiency rating, they'll be expected to beat all the AAC teams by some amount each game. If they were to exceed that expected margin of victory every time, their efficiency rating would go up. It doesn't matter what quality the teams are as long as you beat them by more than you're expected to.

Reaction Score
Not really sure I understand the reasoning. Kenpom is based on efficiency. Based on their efficiency rating, they'll be expected to beat all the AAC teams by some amount each game. If they were to exceed that expected margin of victory every time, their efficiency rating would go up. It doesn't matter what quality the teams are as long as you beat them by more than you're expected to.
Good point.

Reaction Score
Hope that the voters do their research, Houston doesn’t have a ranked opponent for the rest of the regular season and like some mentioned that should drag down their #2 Kenpom ranking. Frustrating
Not for nothing, but we don’t have any currently ranked opponents the rest of the regular season either. Marquette and Xavier might get there this week but as of now, we’re the only ranked Big East team.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but we don’t have any currently ranked opponents the rest of the regular season either. Marquette and Xavier might get there this week but as of now, we’re the only ranked Big East team.
Another good point.

What’s a good database that weighs in on Quad wins that the voters should be looking at?

These look yummy:

….okay. Based on Kenpom efficiencies and Quad ranking databases, UConn should be the undisputed #1 team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32