Kelly vs. Courtney | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kelly vs. Courtney

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Still way, way too early to ask this (and yet I'm going to throw it out there) Did the year off hurt Courtney? I wonder. She's getting off to a slower start than I expected. No worries, she'll get there but...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Still way, way too early to ask this (and yet I'm going to throw it out there) Did the year off hurt Courtney? I wonder. She's getting off to a slower start than I expected. No worries, she'll get there but...
She didn't exactly have a year off. She played a lot of basketball much of it against boys. She only had the year off from her high school team and did so with consultation with Geno and another plan in place.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
winlots said:
We each get four equal players for our teams. You get Ek and I get Kelly to fill out the competing starting line ups. And, as of right now, my team will kill ya. Any body want to challenge that?

In fact, I'll go this far with you: I'll take Kelly as she was as a freshman after one game under her belt , forget about "right now", and my team will still kill ya. ANybody want to challenge that?

(By the way, I'm all for Ek and will continue to root for her to shine here and have a wonderful career)

Instead of Kelly and Courtney, how would you evaluate the same scenario with Kelly and Kia Nurse (both at the beginning of their freshmen years)?

Next question: What about that same scenario with the "contestants" being Courtney and Mel Thomas?

My answers:

1. Slight edge to Kelly;
2. About even.

If Kia, Courtney, and Gabby can have 4 - year careers comparable to Kelly, Mel, and Kalana respectively, then UConn will do very well indeed.

Reaction Score
Instead of Kelly and Courtney, how would you evaluate the same scenario with Kelly and Kia Nurse (both at the beginning of their freshmen years)?

Next question: What about that same scenario with the "contestants" being Courtney and Mel Thomas?

My answers:

1. Slight edge to Kelly;
2. About even.

If Kia, Courtney, and Gabby can have 4 - year careers comparable to Kelly, Mel, and Kalana respectively, then UConn will do very well indeed.
Let me just say that if anyone could ring up some of the posts immediately after Kelly's first games in her freshman year, I think there would be a lot of surprised people NOW! She wasn't overly well received in those games and I remember a lot of people were bummed that we only had a one person class and that it might come back and hurt us. That she was OK but not a dominant type player. In reading posts regarding Kia Nurse now, there is a LOT more enthusiasm as to who she is NOW and where she may be over the next four years. As a result I think you are basing your slight edge to Kelly on the much improved player (particularly offensively) that Kelly was in the latter part of her UConn career. She showed virtually no offense in her first two seasons and even well into her junior year though she was becoming a swiss army knife of other useful and impressive ways to contribute. Her rebounding, her lock down defense and her court instincts were impressing everyone but her unwillingness (or inability) to shoot was contributing to opponents not even working to defend her while UConn had the ball. She corrected that wonderfully in the latter part of her time in Storrs and became dangerous everywhere. I just think that you're comparing the junior or senior version of Kelly to the freshman version of Kia Nurse and thus slanting towards Kelly. Based on what little I've seen and the volume of stuff I've heard, Kia is ahead of Kelly at this point in her UConn career and it's not that close. Time will tell where Kia goes but she's obviously a very impressive young lady.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I thought that Courtney only took her senior year off, after winning the state championship as a junior. She spent her senior year interning, training with a former NBA player ( Johnny-I-forget-his-name) and homeschooling on the only class that she needed to graduate. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected! I don't know about her playing AAU.

She did, and she played on her brother's AAU team.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I am in the corner of the folks who are stating that we should give the kid a chance to prove herself. I mean, it has been said more than often that college ball is sooooo much different (read faster, physical) than high school/AAU ball, and some adjustment is needed.

I will wait to make judgement, but I will also note that she was much more quicker getting into position in the UC Davis game than she was in previous games, and Geno is getting her out there before Sadie and Gabs, so perhaps she is showing something in practice that is slow to materialize in games. Stanford may be a key game to see how she does, but again, it is only the second game into the regular season for this freshman....

Reaction Score
We each get four equal players for our teams. You get Ek and I get Kelly to fill out the competing starting line ups. And, as of right now, my team will kill ya. Any body want to challenge that?

In fact, I'll go this far with you: I'll take Kelly as she was as a freshman after one game under her belt , forget about "right now", and my team will still kill ya. ANybody want to challenge that?

(By the way, I'm all for Ek and will continue to root for her to shine here and have a wonderful career)
HELP!!!
Can somebody please take this thread out of its misery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom