Kelly Has Her Best WNBA Game Ever | The Boneyard

Kelly Has Her Best WNBA Game Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In a 2-point last-second win against Atlanta tonight, Kelly's stats were:

34 minutes (Allison Hightower was injured, in addition to Kara Lawson being out of action for a while)
11 points on 4-4 shooting including 3-3 from 3-point range
7 rebounds
2 assists and 0 turnovers
... in the FIRST START of her WNBA career (ahead of Kalana Greene).

Watching the game, I can tell you there is nothing deceptive about these stats. I actually thought she had several more assists than the 2 she got credit for.

This was not "garbage time" -- the Sun led most of the way (they got the lead up to 15 in the first half, but it was tied by the end of the third quarter). Kelly was in the game when it was close, including at the end. And she was relied on at both ends of the court. She has really improved her professional game in a few months, coming off a season start where it was reasonable to question whether she belonged in the league.

In other UConn news:

• Tina had 25 points and 6 rebounds, including (as I recall) 21 in the first half.
  • Kalana played well in 15 minutes but without scoring.
  • Renee played 35 minutes and scored 18 points on 6-10 shooting including 3-3 from 3-point range.
  • Tiffany Hayes had 9 points and 5 rebounds in 19 minutes for Atlanta, but was out for several minutes after getting a VERY bloody nose on a play where she committed the foul. She hit a 3 in the final minute to make the game interesting.
It was interesting to watch Kelly and Kalana occasionally guarding Tiffany, and vice versa. At one point, Kelly and Tiff were waiting at the scorer's table to enter the game at the same time, and appearing to have a UConn alumni conference.

This may be a lost season for the Sun, but tonight they looked like a good team.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Faris undoubtedly will be given a "long leash" to succeed. While some may become disappointed, some may even blame others, Faris will simply feel responsible and determined to overcome any problems in her pro game. "Supervisors" like that.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Glad to hear it, knew it would happen.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Next 3: at Atlanta....at Chicago...home to Minny. Win 2 of 3....still have a shot at making the playoffs. EDD hurt...out of their game early...quick return or no?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good game. Hopefully she can build on this. :)

HGN

Reaction Score
Glad to see Kelly improving and gettting some confidence......Took a little while , but she's getting there.

Reaction Score
It's only a matter of time before Ms. Kelly Faris becomes the Ultimate Glue Gal of the WNBA, just like the past few years of Women's College Basketball. You can't teach instinct and positive energy. She's got it. In my opinion, there would not have been another National Championship for UConn this year, if Kelly wasn't on the team... she made it all possible. She set the tone for the team. One of my Top UConn's Women's players at UConn ever. I will miss her, but good thing she is still close by! :)

Reaction Score
I did not see the game. With everything posted here, it merely confirms my oft repeated point about +/- being a worthless stat.

Reaction Score
It's only a matter of time before Ms. Kelly Faris becomes the Ultimate Glue Gal of the WNBA, just like the past few years of Women's College Basketball. You can't teach instinct and positive energy. She's got it. In my opinion, there would not have been another National Championship for UConn this year, if Kelly wasn't on the team... she made it all possible. She set the tone for the team. One of my Top UConn's Women's players at UConn ever. I will miss her, but good thing she is still close by! :)
And the best part is that her positive influence will be carried on by the likes of KML (especially) and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom