Kelly Faris | The Boneyard

Kelly Faris

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Love me some Kelly Faris. Unfortunately, in a league where scoring has a premium placed on it, she was never able to excel no matter how hard shed worked. Rooting for her big time tho!!

Reaction Score
Kelly was the ultimate college player, and maybe my all-time favorite Husky. What made her so great was rooted in the fact that she consistently performed way above her talent level, and did so with grit and fierce determination. She was never, nor is she now, cut out to be a pro...it was never in the cards for her at that level. It's obviously none of my business, but if I were in a position, from the perspective of my relatively advanced age, to advise her, my counsel would be to explain that in the big picture, she is still young. I'd advise that she return to school on a graduate level to pursue a totally different career...one of her choosing, of course, but my main focus would be on reassuring her that the same characteristics of personality that yielded so much success up to this point would not abandon her now. Kelly Faris is never going to be a great professional basketball player, but she has all the elements required to make her an unparalleled professional in a variety of other endeavors. Wish I could take her to lunch!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Kelly was the ultimate college player, and maybe my all-time favorite Husky. What made her so great was rooted in the fact that she consistently performed way above her talent level, and did so with grit and fierce determination. She was never, nor is she now, cut out to be a pro...it was never in the cards for her at that level. It's obviously none of my business, but if I were in a position, from the perspective of my relatively advanced age, to advise her, my counsel would be to explain that in the big picture, she is still young. I'd advise that she return to school on a graduate level to pursue a totally different career...one of her choosing, of course, but my main focus would be on reassuring her that the same characteristics of personality that yielded so much success up to this point would not abandon her now. Kelly Faris is never going to be a great professional basketball player, but she has all the elements required to make her an unparalleled professional in a variety of other endeavors. Wish I could take her to lunch!
Um, she played in the WNBA, the best league in the world, and did it for three years. How was she never cut out to be a pro? I'd say the fact that she played pro basketball shows that she was, indeed, cut out to play pro basketball.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Um, she played in the WNBA, the best league in the world, and did it for three years. How was she never cut out to be a pro? I'd say the fact that she played pro basketball shows that she was, indeed, cut out to play pro basketball.
I think the poster really means cut out to be a star or key player, and he may be right. Which still doesn't mean she couldn't have a nice career, the problem is the relatively small size of the WNBA. As someone said above, the league favors scorers, play is really so different from the college game, mostly because of the quality of the players.

And there is no shame to have been a better college than pro player. Some thrive at the pro level, some just thrive more in college and their game doesn't translate as well.

Reaction Score
I have so much fan-love for Kelly Faris! I just want her to do what makes her happy. Her past comments demonstrate that she is well aware of her own shortcomings relative to playing in the WNBA, so if she wants to give it a go at the Liberty training camp, I say More Power To Her! She seems so level-headed, I'm sure she'll make decisions that are good for her and will come down just where she should be, at the time that is right. Somehow, I just don't worry about Kelly.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Wow ... what is this garbage (revisionist history) about Kelly not being an athletic and very talented player? God, that's an absurd assertion.

Do you gotta be an WNBA superstar to qualify?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Wow ... what is this garbage (revisionist history) about Kelly not being an athletic and very talented player? God, that's an absurd assertion.

Do you gotta be an WNBA superstar to qualify?
I agree with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Athletes are by nature overachievers, and are hard pressed to ever give up, and play despite knowing about concussions, etc. Read the Lindsey Vonn OT thread.

Sandy Koufax followed his doctor's advice and retired at 30. Jim Brown and Rocky Marciano quit when still on top. Most, however, stay around way too long, regardless of cost. It's in the blood.

Besides, who are we to tell someone else to abandon a dream? Kelly could go back to school later. Look at Gary Cuozzo, a quarterback and then an Orthodontist. Although things eventually took a bad turn for each of them, both Debi Thomas and Doc Medich followed their pro careers to become MDs. Alan Page, former NFL MVP, pursued law and spent 22 years as a Minnesota Supreme Court Judge.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think the poster really means cut out to be a star or key player, and he may be right. Which still doesn't mean she couldn't have a nice career, the problem is the relatively small size of the WNBA. As someone said above, the league favors scorers, play is really so different from the college game, mostly because of the quality of the players.

And there is no shame to have been a better college than pro player. Some thrive at the pro level, some just thrive more in college and their game doesn't translate as well.
The poster literally said she wasn't cut out to be a pro player. Which is demonstrably false.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I'm excited about it. Even if she doesn't stick, she gets the chance to once again use her talents playing a game she loves.

Reaction Score
The poster literally said she wasn't cut out to be a pro player. Which is demonstrably false.
The poster (that’s me) stands by every word of his post, which, sadly, but predictably, has turned out to be demonstrably true. But I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings, and so apologize!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The poster (that’s me) stands by every word of his post, which, sadly, but predictably, has turned out to be demonstrably true. But I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings, and so apologize!
I mean, my feelings aren't hurt. You can't just make up facts, though. She played pro basketball, therefore, she was a pro basketball player. By definition. Which means she was cut out to play pro basketball. She wasn't a star, but again, by definition, only a few are. She played pro basketball for three years in the WNBA and abroad, which is three years more than probably 99% of college basketball players. So I guess I'm confused by your point - she wasn't a star in the WNBA, so therefore she was never cut out to play in the first place? Huh? She would never have made a roster if she wasn't cut out for it. But she did. For three years. And now has a training contract. So somebody, who is paid to make decisions about who is and isn't a pro basketball player, has decided that Kelly Faris is, in fact a pro basketball player. Because she's getting paid to play basketball. So whether or not she's an all-star, or the next Maya Moore, is irrelevant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom