Kelly Faris In a Fight | The Boneyard

Kelly Faris In a Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Defense is always welcome, but you have to be a consistent scorer to maintain a home in the WNBA unless your collecting 15 rebounds a game to go alone with 8 points a night.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Defense is always welcome, but you have to be a consistent scorer to maintain a home in the WNBA unless your collecting 15 rebounds a game to go alone with 8 points a night.
I disagree to an extent. Last year there were 44 players that averaged 8 pts per game in the WNBA. That's 3.6 people/team. She has to be able to function within the flow of the offense and knock down 45-50% of her shots whether she has 4 or 10 points per game. There is room for her on a roster somewhere if she doesn't stick with the Sun unless it shows that her offensive game cannot improve.

Reaction Score
I disagree to an extent. Last year there were 44 players that averaged 8 pts per game in the WNBA. That's 3.6 people/team. She has to be able to function within the flow of the offense and knock down 45-50% of her shots whether she has 4 or 10 points per game. There is room for her on a roster somewhere if she doesn't stick with the Sun unless it shows that her offensive game cannot improve.
Kelly, loved by all Uconn fans, had one really good offensive game with Uconn which was not repeated, I believe (no stats to back it up). So why should any club expect her to improve her scoring percentage. Her forte is defense, tough intelligent player ( usually), and team player. How this equates to priorities in the WNBA you experts can say.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kelly, loved by all Uconn fans, had one really good offensive game with Uconn which was not repeated, I believe (no stats to back it up). So why should any club expect her to improve her scoring percentage. Her forte is defense, tough intelligent player ( usually), and team player. How this equates to priorities in the WNBA you experts can say.

Well you may recall that in was very late in her senior year that Kelly decided to "let it fly" and was key in at least one game with 3s that delighted everyone, though "old stone face", her father, never so much as allowed himself a grin. She said she had come to realize she was hurting the team not to take those opportunities. Never understood that reticence from her, just as I never understood it from Kiah.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Well you may recall that in was very late in her senior year that Kelly decided to "let it fly" and was key in at least one game with 3s that delighted everyone, though "old stone face", her father, never so much as allowed himself a grin. She said she had come to realize she was hurting the team not to take those opportunities. Never understood that reticence from her, just as I never understood it from Kiah.
Kelly wasn't a scorer! She had a good maybe (for her) a great game--even Geno commented on her NOT scoring again after he gave her high praise > Some families don't openly show pride (the sin of pride). I like Kelly's personality, her being a great teammate, her ability to play (some) defense--but I think she has out "Petered" herself. I though she was very fortunate to be picked up by a WNBA team, her Out of USA teams have had some issues with her scoring.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kelly has been in a fight to make this roster since 2013.

HGN

Reaction Score
Its tough to make a WNBA roster...............But Kelly is a fighter. She will give it all she has.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Kelly is my favorite UCONN women's player of all time. From the moment she stepped on the court during her freshman season in a very early season game I attended vs. Texas, you could instantly see in the first minute of her time on the court that she was a complete, fundamentally sound player. She knew intuitively where she needed to be on the court at all times. I also saw a very early season game in person vs. TX A&M when Jefferson and Stewart were freshmen, and they did not have anywhere near the court presence that Kelly had at the same stage of her career. They certainly both became better players than Kelly over time, but not because of anything to do with fundamentals, just greater overall talent.

That said, in the pros you need to at least be a threat to score the ball, even if you are an A+ defender and have other skills (excellent free throw shooter, rebounder, etc.), and all the intangibles. A lock down defender,
if that's all you can do, is a luxury only great teams can probably afford. Good, mediocre and bad teams need five players on the floor at all times that are at least a threat to score. Otherwise, the opposition can slough off on one offensive player and double up on the best scorer.

Regardless, I have no doubt she will do everything she can to make the roster. She always seemed to need more confidence in her offensive game. She probably needs to just let it rip.

Reaction Score
She could always come back. We'll find her a job, right Geno?

Reaction Score
Kelly is my favorite UCONN women's player of all time. From the moment she stepped on the court during her freshman season in a very early season game I attended vs. Texas, you could instantly see in the first minute of her time on the court that she was a complete, fundamentally sound player. She knew intuitively where she needed to be on the court at all times. I also saw a very early season game in person vs. TX A&M when Jefferson and Stewart were freshmen, and they did not have anywhere near the court presence that Kelly had at the same stage of her career. They certainly both became better players than Kelly over time, but not because of anything to do with fundamentals, just greater overall talent.

That said, in the pros you need to at least be a threat to score the ball, even if you are an A+ defender and have other skills (excellent free throw shooter, rebounder, etc.), and all the intangibles. A lock down defender,
if that's all you can do, is a luxury only great teams can probably afford. Good, mediocre and bad teams need five players on the floor at all times that are at least a threat to score. Otherwise, the opposition can slough off on one offensive player and double up on the best scorer.

Regardless, I have no doubt she will do everything she can to make the roster. She always seemed to need more confidence in her offensive game. She probably needs to just let it rip.

This really stinks. She's the consummate team player, something rare and beautiful through execution yet she's slowly being pushed aside for the sake of revenue. Just another sign that underscores how things have to be geared towards what sells tickets, men, rather than what's good for the game.

Reaction Score
I think Kelly sells tickets in Connecticut. The crowd at Mohegan Sun arena roars when she comes into the game. I know I love to see UCONN women on that team, the more the better, since I know what they bring.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This really stinks. She's the consummate team player, something rare and beautiful through execution yet she's slowly being pushed aside for the sake of revenue. Just another sign that underscores how things have to be geared towards what sells tickets, men, rather than what's good for the game.
I think you're wrong - the WNBA has very few roster spots and Kelly has just not done enough to get wins for her team. The pros is a very select universe and after three years there is less 'up-side' to her game than there is to some of the rookies. I have been surprised that her defense and passing ability has not stood out more than it has. You can look at other Uconn players who survived with limited offensive skills for a number of years but appeared to provide more than Kelly has been able to - Ashley Battle (6 yrs), Ketia Swanier (5 yrs) are two examples - maybe they were lucky in the teams they were on, or in the years they graduated - every year their is more and better talent graduating from US universities and available in the foreign markets. If kelly is good enough she will find a home, if not, she got a few years in the WNBA and now the rest of her life begins. It is a business and the bottom line is winning teams.

When you look at her stats, they just aren't very good - she shoots below 35% from the field and below 30% from three, she has just over an assist every two games, less than a steal every three games - she isn't getting many minutes a game, but in the minutes she gets she isn't producing much to earn more minutes. I loved Kelly at Uconn and have been pulling for her as a pro, but if she doesn't make a team this year I recognize that it is going to be a decision based on what she brings to a team vs. what some other player can bring, and after three years the potential they represent for future production. If it does come down to Weisner vs. Faris the choice will be as much about potential as it is performance this pre-season.

Reaction Score
Kelly was one of (my way too many) 'favorites' at UConn. (After the pros and she part company) my guess is she may have some excellent capability as a coach.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kelly had a really nice stat line in today's preseason game against Dallas - but the numbers just look really tough for her - likely locks are:
Bone, Thomas, Bentley, Thomas, Stricklen, Oqwumike, Tuck, Banham, Little, Jones - that leaves only two spots. I think Weisner will stick, she has played OK and has greater potential than anyone else being a rookie. That leaves Faris competing not just against those on the current team, but anybody that gets cut off other teams and there are bound to be some pretty good players cut.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That UcM is one of my nice post likes, not I like it likes. Weisner has to stick for her potential. However, I'm not sure there will be a pick up cut from another team. Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
I've been to the game today and Kelly did what she does and had a pretty good game. Very good defense, took some charges, had some steals and drew offensive fouls, handled the ball well and clearly is trusted by the coach to be kind of a coach on the floor. It did seem to me that she doesn't have a real role on offense aside than setting screened. I hope that she gets to keep her job as I always loved how she'll do anything to help her team win and will sacrifice her body anytime. It's clear than Weisner got nice potential so if the final spot is between Kelly and Weisner it could be very difficult for Kelly.
By the way, I was impressed by the upside of J. jones. She could be a very very good player in the WNBA.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Kelly had a really nice stat line in today's preseason game against Dallas - but the numbers just look really tough for her - likely locks are:
Bone, Thomas, Bentley, Thomas, Stricklen, Oqwumike, Tuck, Banham, Little, Jones - that leaves only two spots. I think Weisner will stick, she has played OK and has greater potential than anyone else being a rookie. That leaves Faris competing not just against those on the current team, but anybody that gets cut off other teams and there are bound to be some pretty good players cut.
In your list, left out Anneika Henry, who has yet to return from overseas but who was the major prize from the trade of Elizabeth Williams. I think the full list of contenders for 12 roster spots are:

Backcourt: Bentley, Jasmine Thomas, Banham, Faris, Weisner, Jennifer O'Neill (of KY).
Frontcourt: Ogwumike, Bone, Henry, Little, Tuck, Stricklen, Alyssa Thomas, Jonquel Jones.

That is a total of 14 players: 8 forwards and 6 guards.

None of the frontcourt players listed above are obvious candidates to be cut, but still I doubt that the team would carry 8 forwards and only 4 guards. A 7-5 split seems more likely. So that leads me to think that Stricklen (the least impressive of the forwards) may get cut, along with Jennifer O'Neill (who did not seem to me to be playing at the level of the rest of the team in the two exhibition games). That would leave both Kelly and Weisner on the opening-day roster, assuming that no cuts from other teams are picked up.

For my money, Rachel Banham could be cut, but I was never a fan of hers in the first place. She is slow and immobile, and has not been lighting up the 3-point line in the exhibition games, although I'm sure that will come. She seems like KML, but with less size and strength. However, the team won't cut its #4 overall pick, even if it was a mistake in the first place.

So I think it's a close call, but IMHO Kelly will (with about 70% probability) remain on the team.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
In your list, left out Anneika Henry, who has yet to return from overseas but who was the major prize from the trade of Elizabeth Williams. I think the full list of contenders for 12 roster spots are:

Backcourt: Bentley, Jasmine Thomas, Banham, Faris, Weisner, Jennifer O'Neill (of KY).
Frontcourt: Ogwumike, Bone, Henry, Little, Tuck, Stricklen, Alyssa Thomas, Jonquel Jones.

That is a total of 14 players: 8 forwards and 6 guards.

None of the frontcourt players listed above are obvious candidates to be cut, but still I doubt that the team would carry 8 forwards and only 4 guards. A 7-5 split seems more likely. So that leads me to think that Stricklen (the least impressive of the forwards) may get cut, along with Jennifer O'Neill (who did not seem to me to be playing at the level of the rest of the team in the two exhibition games). That would leave both Kelly and Weisner on the opening-day roster, assuming that no cuts from other teams are picked up.

For my money, Rachel Banham could be cut, but I was never a fan of hers in the first place. She is slow and immobile, and has not been lighting up the 3-point line in the exhibition games, although I'm sure that will come. She seems like KML, but with less size and strength. However, the team won't cut its #4 overall pick, even if it was a mistake in the first place.

So I think it's a close call, but IMHO Kelly will (with about 70% probability) remain on the team.

I don't think Anneika Henry was part of the Williams deal. I seem to recall she was an free agent who the Dream chose not to resign. I tried to confirm this definitively but have failed so far. All the news I saw on the Williams trade indicated it was straight up, the #4 pick for Elizabeth. I had convinced myself that the #4 pick was going to be Ariel Powers or Jonquel Jones... I was pretty shocked that it turned out to be Banham. I sure hope it works out for the Sun.

Also, I disagree that Stricklen will get cut but given the numbers as you lay them out a post play probably needs to go. Strick's really a swing player and I think Coach likes her size and outside shooting on the wing. There are 16 players on the current roster. The two you did not mention, Baker and Macauley will likely be cut. I'm guessing the last 2 will be O'Neill and, maybe Henry (?! odd because she was signed to a 2-year deal and hasn't been with the team as yet). We'll know soon and I'm glad I don't have to make the decision.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Monday- Baker and Macauley gone as expected and Henry-Morello arrived in camp today from overseas.

13 now in camp, with Little still away. If Camille is still unavailable at the roster deadline (Friday) I wonder if they can carry the 12th active player? I think they can, and that would give veteran Little some time to rest and the bubble players more time to prove they belong. There are now 7 posts counting Little, 6 true guards, and Stricklen (G-F)... the next cut will be O'Neill in my opinion. After that ??? Again, I'm glad I don't have to make the decision.

Reaction Score
ELM CITY TO EAGLEVILLE
Monday, May 09, 2016

CONNECTICUT SUN CUTS TWO
The Connecticut Sun released Victoria Macaulay and Brandie Baker and announced that Aneika Henry-Morello has reported to camp. This brings the roster to 13 with Camille Little yet to join the team so no cuts would need to be made before the team gets down to 12 players by 5 p.m. on Friday.

Barring any surprises, former UConn standout Kelly Faris is competing with Jennifer O'Neill and Jamie Weisner for the final roster spot.

[LINK]

Reaction Score
ELM CITY TO EAGLEVILLE
Monday, May 09, 2016

CONNECTICUT SUN CUTS TWO
The Connecticut Sun released Victoria Macaulay and Brandie Baker and announced that Aneika Henry-Morello has reported to camp. This brings the roster to 13 with Camille Little yet to join the team so no cuts would need to be made before the team gets down to 12 players by 5 p.m. on Friday.

Barring any surprises, former UConn standout Kelly Faris is competing with Jennifer O'Neill and Jamie Weisner for the final roster spot.

[LINK]
I see you are no longer wearing glasses . Did you you switch to contacts ?

Reaction Score
I see you are no longer wearing glasses . Did you you switch to contacts ?
I did! I read about them in my favorite magazine, "Modern Caveman." I was skeptical at first, but wow, what an invention. I can see great! I think these little things just might catch on. You might want to consider investing in this emerging industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom